Author Topic: Bass Fishing???  (Read 4482 times)

TarpleyG

• friend
Bass Fishing???
« on: December 19, 2005, 03:47:12 PM »
It's been a really long time since I actively pursued a big mouth...maybe 20 years or more.  Spent most of my childhood doing so.

My neighbor fishes quite a bit and has told me I should come along some time.  Don't have gear anymore.  I was having a garage sale yesterday and told him he could put some stuff out.  He brings over a ton of baitcasting stuff that a friend had given to him well over a year ago to hold on to in lieu of money owed.  I traded him a Ryobi compund mitre saw and $25 for the following.  I think I did way good.

- Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier LT reel
- Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier reel
- Abu Garcia Eon reel
- BPS Bionic pole
- BPS Crankin' Stick pole
- BPS Pro Qualifier pole

Price new for all that gear would run about $500...I want to get out with him soon and see if I can still catch fish.  Been doing a lot of saltwater fishing since moving to FL 5 years ago.  I cleaned everything up and put new line on and am ready to go.  I need to get a few worms and some crankbaits now.

Anyone else here fish for bass?  What's the hot stuff nowadays?

Greg

Bass Fishing???
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 05:27:09 PM »
Not sure of your climate nor the cover.
Cover affects line wts.

I prefer to use 12#  Trilene clear line, Ambassador 5000 or 5500 , 6' pistol grip, or "Kentucky  6 1/2'Meaning the handle is a bit longer, cork. Little something I had made from a Loomis blank.

Most versatile and favorite?  Charteause and White single spinner bait. May be fished fast, slow, deep, irratic...
I tend to start out with 1/4 oz if need go 5/8oz.  
Worms- gimme a 6" grape color. I will run this with a bead, I also like this Carolina style.

Rapela's, Rebels and Rattle Traps.

Best Kept secret...1/8 oz white bucktail jig. Oh the 1/4 oz is fine...on that 1/8oz use a clear slip float filled with water, Carolina Rigged, so as the jig is about 8-12" below.  Reel , drop, stop, slowly twitch, reel, drop, stop...set the hook reel in and grin.

I use a Spinning Reel as well. In fact the biggest bass I have caught was a 12# Largemouth from a Resevoir. 6# clear test Trilene , The Rod is a custom made 6' cork handled from a Loomis blank, Reel was a OLder all metal Penn, ( forget the model). Reel has to be electrical taped to rod. I sometimes use a Shimano as well.

This caught on the aforementioned 1/8 bucktail Carolina rigged.

I am fighting this big bass and noticing my baitcasters leaning on the pier...had to laugh...just the way it works.

Do I grab a baitcast set up after hawling in this thing and then releasing after pics. NO. I tie a RattleTrap on cast back out and have to haul in a 10# bass.

I was only catching 2-4# bass with baitcast...light line has its advantages.

Getting out and having fun, enjoying folks and Mother Nature the reason, catching something just a bonus.

Good Luck,

Steve

crt360

• friend
Bass Fishing???
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 06:02:39 PM »
I've done a lot of bass fishing in my life, but very little lately.  The beloved Champion is sitting out at the marina feeling neglected because I haven't had time to replace the charger and a few other items that need fixing.  A good friend of mine hauls his Skeeter around Texas and fishes a lot of tournaments when he's not doctoring and occasionally calls me up to fish with him, so I've only been going a few times a year the last few years.

Worms, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and topwaters all still work if you use the right ones.  I've always had my best luck with Texas rigged worms, but most fun when it's topwater time.  Check your local sporting goods stores and find out what others in your area are having luck with.  Colors, sizes, and styles of worms and lures can be very particular to each lake.

I've only been to Florida a couple of times and never fished there, so I'm probably not much help.  If your state fish & game department is anything like ours be sure you obey the size and limit rules.  They might also be able to provide you with more specific info. about water conditions and what the fish are being caught on in your area.
For entertainment purposes only.

Bass Fishing???
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 06:39:34 PM »
If'n you get a chance for "Bone Jarring-Arm Hurting" Bass fishing...Live Bait.

I have done this in FL and LA

For this one needs a Fiberglass rod, say 7'  extended handle, 30-50 # test line, Quality Baitcaster, and balloons.

Live bait is caught with a throw net. Check local Regs on size, ours was under 4".  You find the thick vegetation, and   "lob" this bait which has been either hooked in upper lip, or upper back. Your bait needs to swim, the balloon is your cork. In that  thick stuff watch the balloon - you can tell if the bait is just swimming, beginning to take off, or bass has 'em and running. HOLD ON!  I mean I was braced like deep sea fishing...HEAVY with all that vegetation.

Have a LONG net.

See, the same thing happened to me in FL as happened in LA.  Seems that "stump" I was bumping my spinnerbait over - was not a stump.  In AR our stumps do not have large jaws, with teeth, and dangerous tails. The guide had that long net for a reason...about the time he was about to net my fish, that 'gator ate my fish.  Hey, I can share.

Fiberglass won't break ( as easily) less monies.  

Oh...we also used frogs and Mice...again check local regs.  And like I said , if Mr. Gator wants my bass I caught with a frog...I'm a real nice guy and share. These you "lob" onto dry areas of vegetation , seems the bait just disappears , balloon goes bonkers, and brace yourelf and hold on...

Granted the first time " What the hell was that!! "  
"Florida Stump son, just a Florida Stump...ya'll probably call 'em 'gators in AR..."

What really sucks our World Class Trout fishing in AR - does not have any critters to pay back a Floridian, or
Cajun.  Except a Floridian will "freeze to death" at 55*F.  Paybacks are hell they say. *grin*

bratch

• friend
Bass Fishing???
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 09:57:38 PM »
I have a TON of luck on the Bomber Model A crankbait.  Its the green and yellow color I think its called "Firetiger".  I get the shallow running version and fish farm ponds from  the shore here in OK.

TarpleyG

• friend
Bass Fishing???
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 12:44:13 AM »
The beloved Champion is sitting out at the marina feeling neglected because I haven't had time to replace the charger and a few other items that need fixing.  A good friend of mine hauls his Skeeter around Texas
LOL...boats are like black holes dontcha know?  I have rigged a few hundred Champions and Skeeters earlier in my life.  Good boats.

Greg

onions!

Bass Fishing???
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 01:41:58 AM »
Bass->yeck!
Take a 6 foot ultra-light rod w/spinning reel spooled up w/your choice of 4lb mono.Bait the smallest jig head you can find w/a red worm & spend the day fighting BLUEGILLS!!!!:)

IMHO they taste lots better too.

Unless your fishing where Peacock bass have been introduced.Shocked

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Bass Fishing???
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 01:52:50 AM »
I don't fish much these days. I should probably take it back up eventually. But I used to like the live minnow hooked in the lip trick and then I also liked taking the old fake minnow lure and just floating it on top of the water with an occasional twitch like it was a dying minnow. It's great fun when a bass shoots off the bottom and savagely attacks what it THINKS is a free meal...

Smiley

Reminds me of the blissninny vegetarian type that was giving me doo doo about killing fish and eating them.

I said, "You DO realize fish are carnivorous?"

Ninny with wide eyed incredulous look, "THEY ARE??!"

Me,  rolleyes "Yes they are. They would kill and eat you without a second thought given the chance."

heh heh heh...

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Bass Fishing???
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 04:40:28 AM »
I miss bass fishing.

I always have liked using mid-price-range rod/reel combos from just about any sporting goods store.  $50 has gotten me rod/reels that worked well and lasted for years.  I use cheap line.  My favorite method is usually finesse fishing a small soft platic, or using a jerk bait.  On occassion, I would use a crank bait or stick bait.  
When I lived in Arizona, we actually would float-tube fish on parts of the Colorado River.  
12lb 3oz on a 4" purple and black worm.  Cheapest ones you could find at walmart.

Dinner

Buddy with dinner
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Bass Fishing???
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 06:27:44 AM »
Jig a Pig...
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zahc

• friend
Bass Fishing???
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 06:31:27 AM »
I would steer clear of store brand reels. Equipment, like many things, has split into two camps, those that buy great valued gear and throw it away when it wears out in a couple years, and those that buy high quality gear from reputable manufacturers and give it to their children. I'm firmly in the second group. If I stacked up the $40 spinning reels, $80 baitcasting reels and random rods that I have worn out fishing it would be at least waist high. I always wondered back then who would spend hundreds of dollars on a fishing reel.

I suggest a good reel from a manufacturer that actually offers parts. I had a years old Pfluger reel that was in great shape, but needed a pinion gear. Pfluger has changed hands recently and produce generic crap now. I was told that they do not carry parts for reels over 5 years old. I asked them what I should do if I need a part for a reel that is over 5 years old. He said 'buy a new reel'.

For monofilament I suggest something cheap, so that you are not afraid to change it OFTEN. BPS Xcel, etc. I really like berkely Big Game for baitcasting reels. Very tough and ties great knots. Most importantly, cheap. Monofilament is disposable! Change it. I only use Fireline on spinning reels any more. Nothing else. Best thing that ever happened to spinning reels. I only change my fireline like once a season.

I wouldn't think twice about buying (good), bargain rods though, especially because you need so many of them. Cabeas Im6/7, BPS blades, Falcon rods, are good cheap rods I use. I usually break them in a door or something before i wear the guides out.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TarpleyG

• friend
Bass Fishing???
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 08:07:40 AM »
I really like berkely Big Game for baitcasting reels
That's what I used simply because it was a compromise in price.  ~$7 for 900 yards.  3 reels and plenty to spare.

I would steer clear of store brand reels
Like I said, these were pretty much free and the Abu is real sweet.  I think Pflueger makes the store brand reels like the other two I got.  They feel great.  Real solid and smooth.  No complaints from me, esp. since these are by far the nicest reels (and rods) I have ever owned.

Greg

zahc

• friend
Bass Fishing???
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 08:26:41 AM »
Practially speaking, you are probably money ahead. Just don't expect to be able to  get parts in a few years, but by then you can just buy a new store brand reel. Anyone remeber the Penn reels that had a spare levelwind pawl actually screwed into the side?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine