Author Topic: College Student Uses Sword to Kill Intruder  (Read 6856 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
College Student Uses Sword to Kill Intruder
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:37:09 PM »
Don't any of you ever try this. Instead, call 911, then secure yourself in a locked room until police arrive.

----------------------------
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090915/ap_on_re_us/us_samurai_sword_death_7

College student with sword kills burglary suspect
By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Writer Ben Nuckols, Associated Press Writer 2 hrs 30 mins ago

BALTIMORE – A Johns Hopkins University student armed with a samurai sword killed a suspected burglar in a garage behind his off-campus home early Tuesday, hours after someone broke in and stole electronics.

Some shocked neighbors said they heard bloodcurdling screams in an area just blocks from the university. Police held the student, a junior chemistry major who turns 21 on Sunday, for several hours, but he was not charged with any crimes Tuesday, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

Around 1:20 a.m., the student heard noises behind the home and noticed a door to the garage was open, Guglielmi said. He grabbed the sword and confronted the intruder — identified by police as Donald D. Rice, 49, a habitual offender who had just been released from jail.

Rice was crouching beneath a counter, police said. The student asked him what he was doing and threatened to call police.

"When he said that, the suspect lunged at him, kind of forced the kid against the wall, and he struck him with the sword," Guglielmi said.

Rice's left hand was nearly severed — Guglielmi described it as "hanging on by a thread" — and he suffered a severe cut to the upper body. He died at the scene.

On Monday, two laptops and a Sony PlayStation were stolen from the student's home, which he shares with three other students, but police were not sure whether Rice was responsible, Guglielmi said.

There was a pool of blood Tuesday morning in the brick courtyard between the back porch of the home and the garage. The courtyard was strewn with debris, including what looked like broken glass.

Guglielmi did not know why the student kept a sword. He said he may have had some martial arts training, but was not an expert.

Rice's criminal history includes more than two dozen arrests for burglary, breaking and entering and auto theft. According to court records, he was charged in 2007 after he pulled a gun on a police officer, though prosecutors placed those charges on hold because the officer was on military leave.

Rice was convicted in 2008 of unauthorized removal of property and sentenced to 18 months. He was released Saturday from the Baltimore County Detention Center.

Several nearby residents said the community has experienced a rash of petty crimes in recent months, including home, garage and vehicle break-ins. Many homes have bars on windows and stickers advertising alarm systems.

Michael Hughes, 43, said he was getting ready for bed when he heard the screams.

"There was fear in the voice. I could tell someone was scared," Hughes said.

Hughes called 911, and several police cars arrived while he was on the phone. Campus security officers and an off-duty city officer who were in the area responding to a suspicious person report also heard the screams.

The diverse neighborhood includes a mix of students, professors and families, said Hughes, who lives with his wife and young children and works for the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, which is on another campus across town.

"There seems to be a noticeable increase in crime in the neighborhood," Hughes said. "I am concerned for my family's safety."

Kenny Eaton, 20, a junior political science major at Hopkins who lives nearby, said there was some tension between students and lower-income residents of nearby communities. The private Johns Hopkins is known for its health and science research and has about 4,600 undergraduates on its main campus.

"You take kids who are paying $50,000 a year (in tuition) and then put them out in a very dangerous city environment, it's almost like a clash of civilizations," he said.

Three young men, including one in a Hopkins T-shirt, were sitting on the front porch of the home Tuesday morning. A police officer was standing in the doorway, and a single police car was parked nearby. The men refused to talk to an Associated Press reporter.

Susan Boswell, the dean of student life at Hopkins, said in a statement that she was "relieved to report that the student was not harmed," but she also advised other students not to follow the swordsman's example.

"If you ever suspect that there is a prowler in your residence or on your property, call 911 immediately," Boswell said. "Experts advise that you do not attempt to confront the intruder, but rather secure yourself in a locked area until police arrive."

Guglielmi said police would consult with prosecutors about whether to file charges against the student. As in most states, self-defense in Maryland is defined by common law rather than by statute. People who confront intruders inside their homes have a greater degree of latitude to use force, and prosecutors consider whether to file charges in such incidents on a case-by-case basis.

"One can genuinely and reasonably be in fear of one's own safety even if the burglar is unarmed," said Andrew D. Levy, a Baltimore defense attorney and an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Law. "But nonetheless, it would be something that a good prosecutor would consider."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: College Student Uses Sword to Kill Intruder
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:06:39 PM »
He grabbed the sword and confronted the intruder — identified by police as Donald D. Rice, 49, a habitual offender who had just been released from jail.

Ah-hah! I think I've spotted a clue.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:31:02 PM »

Guglielmi did not know why the student kept a sword. He said he may have had some martial arts training, but was not an expert.

Maybe because he couldn't buy a pistol?
Some people just fell a need to be able to protect themselves.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:54:34 PM »
I wonder if it was one of those decorative swords or a real one?  Either way, a very effective tool.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:15:39 PM »

He got the job done when it really mattered.  That makes him an expert by my reckoning.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:52:53 PM »
There can be only one!  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 11:56:01 PM »
There can be only one!  =D

Winner winner chicken dinner.

As long as we don't go visit the planet Zeist.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »
Good for the student.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 12:17:23 AM »
Guglielmi did not know why the student kept a sword.
How about now?  ;/

Another story of a good guy with a pointy object. Somewhat interesting that he chopped the guy's hand off. Wasn't that a classic punishment for theft in olden days?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 12:42:09 AM »
I wonder if it was one of those decorative swords or a real one?  Either way, a very effective tool.

A "fake" katana constructed even with relatively stiff/fragile 440 stainless is a lethal killing machine... unless you actually engage in a sword duel.

440 has no problems cutting flesh and bone.  Just more properly forged old world carbon steel like the Japanese would use in a real sword.  A true katana can slice a 440 blade in two.  Dueling with a pair of 440 katana would result in one or both blades shattering.

I kept a 440 katana in my college years and studied iaido (Japanese equivalent of quick-draw).

"You take kids who are paying $50,000 a year (in tuition) and then put them out in a very dangerous city environment, it's almost like a clash of civilizations," he said.

Damn straight.

Medical students at Johns Hopkins?  They're some of our best and brightest.  As close to nobility as our society might produce, congregated into one location.

Some bum or dreg of society want to harass the nobility?  That's why they got freakin' swords.

I hope the student continues on to become a great surgeon. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 02:06:57 AM »
Iaido is great for muscle memory.  Kenjitsu (or kenjutsu if you want to be pedantic) is much more interesting, in my oh so humble opinion.

I have seen cheapo blades fail against tatami mats, it is not pretty.  However, I have never encountered a blade worthy of any cutting task.  I have destroyed many bokken in the pursuit of the art, but somehow my frame of reference for live blades remains scant.  Perhaps my reluctance to actually shell out $300-$1000 for a supposedly well-forged blade is to blame, or the fact that I enjoy my fleshy bits remaining connected to my body.

Kudos to the defender in the OP, I hope he is exonerated.  Until then, I have my Cold Steel polypro bokken to carry the torch.  We shall see if they are as indestructible as their maker claims.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 08:13:21 AM »
A good Ma Zhang Dao is not to be messed with.  A guy from my club cut himself very badly while screwing around (go figure) with one before class (cut his leg from an off balance swing).

The Japanese were smart to copy it.

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 09:18:49 AM »
A guy from my club cut himself very badly while screwing around (go figure) with one before class (cut his leg from an off balance swing).
God help us if lightsabers ever became reality.  :laugh:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 12:40:55 PM »
A "fake" katana constructed even with relatively stiff/fragile 440 stainless is a lethal killing machine... unless you actually engage in a sword duel.

Even in a duel, if neither you nor your opponent is a particularly skilled swordsman, a sharp metal stick is still a sharp metal stick.  There's a reason they say the only way not to get cut is not to get in a knife fight in the first place.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 01:14:27 PM »
God help us if lightsabers ever became reality.

Lightsabers cannot hurt as much as the three sectional staff.  Man, I hate that thing.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »
Chain Swords and Power Swords would be pretty evil in real life too.  :O
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 01:38:16 PM »
"it only takes two pounds of pressure to cut flesh. we're fragile creatures, Mal."

kudos to the student for defending his home and property.

Rice was crouching beneath a counter, police said. The student asked him what he was doing and threatened to call police.

"When he said that, the suspect lunged at him, kind of forced the kid against the wall, and he struck him with the sword," Guglielmi said.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 02:29:40 PM »
Rice's left hand was nearly severed — Guglielmi described it as "hanging on by a thread" — and he suffered a severe cut to the upper body. . . . Guglielmi did not know why the student kept a sword. He said he may have had some martial arts training, but was not an expert.
Clearly not an expert. Legend has it that in ancient Japan, they used to rate swords by how many bodies they could cut entirely through with one stroke.

The diverse neighborhood . . .
But diversity is good! Everyone on TV says so!

You take kids who are paying $50,000 a year (in tuition) and then put them out in a very dangerous city environment, it's almost like a clash of civilizations,"
Civilizations? Plural? Sounds more like an outpost of civilization out among the barbarian hordes.

Three young men, including one in a Hopkins T-shirt, were sitting on the front porch of the home Tuesday morning. A police officer was standing in the doorway, and a single police car was parked nearby. The men refused to talk to an Associated Press reporter.
Proof that these young men are among the best and brightest!

Even in a duel, if neither you nor your opponent is a particularly skilled swordsman, a sharp metal stick is still a sharp metal stick. 
Skill? All you have to remember is that the pointy end goes in the other fellow.  :lol:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 02:35:03 PM »
Rice's left hand was nearly severed — Guglielmi described it as "hanging on by a thread" — and he suffered a severe cut to the upper body. . . . Guglielmi did not know why the student kept a sword. He said he may have had some martial arts training, but was not an expert.
Clearly not an expert. Legend has it that in ancient Japan, they used to rate swords by how many bodies they could cut entirely through with one stroke.

The wrists are one of the most popular targets in a sword duel.  Easiest way to reduce or eliminate the threat in front of you, is to take away its ability to fight back.  Wrists bleed a LOT, as evidenced by this fellow bleeding out by his cut off hand and slashed torso.  I'm willing to bet the autopsy will show he desanguinated primarily from the slashed wrist.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 02:38:21 PM »

The wrists are one of the most popular targets in a sword duel.  Easiest way to reduce or eliminate the threat in front of you, is to take away its ability to fight back.  Wrists bleed a LOT, as evidenced by this fellow bleeding out by his cut off hand and slashed torso.  I'm willing to bet the autopsy will show he desanguinated primarily from the slashed wrist.
Not to forget that even if the target isn't desanguinated from the cut there, it will almost certainly render the hand useless if you sever the tendons...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 02:57:41 PM »
I've always thought that the best skill to have in a fight is a good working knowledge of the human anatomy.....and now I'm proven right....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 03:57:47 PM »
I've always thought that the best skill to have in a fight is a good working knowledge of the human anatomy.....and now I'm proven right....  :cool:

I'm amazed at how much kinesiology I've picked up from martial arts.
--Lysander Spooner

castle key

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 04:05:12 PM »
A practical application of Sharia law punishment for theft.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »
Lightsabers cannot hurt as much as the three sectional staff.  Man, I hate that thing.
I'm thinking more of people twirling the things like a majorette. You could probably become a quadriplegic in less than three seconds.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 05:15:28 PM »
I'm thinking more of people twirling the things like a majorette. You could probably become a quadriplegic in less than three seconds.

And you just might survive, thanks to the cauterization. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it