Main Forums > The Roundtable

U.S. Grand Prix Seating

(1/6) > >>

crt360:
Despite last year's debacle, I'm thinking about going to the U.S. Grand Prix in July.  I've never been to Indy and aside from watching the race on TV and knowing the track layout, I have little info. regarding choice seating.  It looks to me like something in C or H might be good, but I'd really like some input from people who have been.  Any help would be appreciated.

Also, what's the hotel scene like there?  I'm guessing one has to make reservations way in advance to get anything for the weekend.  Are there places I should avoid at all cost?

jefnvk:
Skip C.  Sat there for the 500, it is set back 15-20 feet further from the track than the covered sections, meaning you have a hard time seeing to the south end (the end the cars will be coming from).  Honestly, if they have it, I would just get the daily infield admission.  Wandered over to the infield on a rain delay, and they had as good as seats as we did.

Hotel?  Take a tent and camp in the parking lot (let us at the 500, but dunno about the GP).  Lots more fun.

TarpleyG:
IIRC, they run that course backward so I would try and sit down in turn 1 on the left side of the grandstand (if you are facing the straightaway).  LOTS of good stuff going into that turn, especially at the start.

Greg

El Tejon:
Around Turn 1 is generally thought to be the best for the road race.  Turn 4, up on the top, is where we had seats growing up for the 500.  Those are great seats for the 500.  The best seats I had was when I worked at IMS (in the warehouse in the basement of the museum); they would let us on top of the museum on that knoll and you could see all the way around the track.

One thing Indy has with all the sports, races and conventions is plenty of hotels.  Have a preference for a type or chain?  Want to stay near the track or downtown or by the airport (also on westside)?

garrettwc:
Stand E on the outside of corner 11 (turn 1 on the oval) high speed section of the track and should give you a view all the way down the front straightaway.

Stand H on the outside of corner 1 (main straight on the oval) this one is the inverse of Stand E. You have the view of them coming at you down the straightaway and a view of the braking area entering turn 1. You should be able to see a portion of the next three corners if you are high enough up.

C10T -Corner Ten Terrace (right behind the museum) this is the chicane at the end of the back(infield) straightaway. Very busy corner. A couple of the big spins were in this area couple of years ago.

Link to a map showing the track and the stands:
http://www.usgpindy.com/modules/images/trackmap/usgp05-map-lrg.jpg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version