Author Topic: Will lead hurt my fish?  (Read 2535 times)

zahc

• friend
Will lead hurt my fish?
« on: December 20, 2005, 08:22:01 AM »
I got this cushball thing, that I wanted to put in with Brutus like an anemone thing. It had a hollow core, so I cut a slit in it and put a 1oz barrel sinker in it so it would sink. Do you think that will  dissolve and slowly poison him? It's mostly sealed up in the rubber.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

TarpleyG

• friend
Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 08:25:25 AM »
Why don't you use a stainless sinker instead?

zahc

• friend
Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 08:37:40 AM »
I seem to be short on stainless sinkers. I could use a big hex nut I guess.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

onions!

Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 08:43:53 AM »
Use a rock.Stay away from limestone & you'll be fine.Cheap too.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 09:14:54 AM »
you named your fish?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zahc

• friend
Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 09:33:04 AM »
Yeah, he's an immature shovelhead catfish.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 09:40:40 AM »
Quote from: zahc
Yeah, he's an immature shovelhead catfish.
Another name for a Flathead Catfish right? If thats the case better add a few live goldfish or guppies for a snack for it.

Charby

Uranus is a gas giant.

zahc

• friend
Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 10:07:57 AM »
Yeah shovelhead, flathead, same thing. I rescued him from the keel of a pontoon boat back when I worked at Seneca Lake. I put him in a coffee cup. He was about two inches back then, now he's about six. I just put two goldfish in his 50 gallon tank, took a shower, and they are both gone. I haven't found anything that I can put in his tank that he won't eat or try to kill. All he does is sit in his sewer pipe all day unless there is food. A very boring pet.
--Tallpine

CatsDieNow

• friend
Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 10:36:17 AM »
A friend of mine had an (essentially) floor to ceiling homemade aquarium that took up the length of his living room wall.  It was made from inch-thick surplus plate glass from a shopping mall construction project.   Country boy that he was, he kept it stocked with bass and bluegill and not some frilly, sissy fish.  The bass would eat the bluegill.  Both kinds of fish would attempt to escape periodically, and whenever you came accross a fish on the carpet, you had to throw it back in.

Brutus needs some bluegill friends.

Aren't most sinkers made of tugsten, bismuth, or some other "green" metal nowdays?

zahc

• friend
Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 10:41:11 AM »
No, they are still largely lead. I prefer tungsten sinkers for bass fishing because they are denser, but they are almost a buck a pop.

During the summer I keep a mesh minnow trap in a closeby pond and feed him baby bluegills or whatever that catches. It's frozen over now, so it's goldfish till spring. He likes the live ones a lot better, they are much harder to catch, sometimes it takes him days or weeks to catch a particularly quick specimen. Storebought goldfish are unbelievably dumb; I imagine that's why wild live bait works so much better than store-bought minnows.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 11:13:20 AM »
Nature of a flathead to hide unless its time to feed. If you wanted something more lively should have put a school of fathead minnows in the tank instead of the flathead.

I used to smallmouth fish this river while I was in Univ of Northern Iowa, every beer can i saw on the river bottom I would pull up and dump the water out looking for a small flathead. A couple trips out and I found two for the bottom of my tank full of S American Cichlids.

when you flathead gets bigger he will need bluegills for substance, goldfish will only be appetizer.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zahc

• friend
Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2005, 11:22:37 AM »
Don't your catfish eat the cichlids? I even tried putting other catfish in there and he harrassed them till they died.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2005, 11:45:47 AM »
It was a few years ago since I had fish, but the tank had 20 convicts in it and up to several hundred fry, convicts are like rabbits.

The flatheads left each other alone and the cichlids alone, my convicts were 3" in size the flatheads were maybe a skinny 2" Had them together for over a year when one day I came home from long weekend and all my fish were floating upside down. No one else was home that weekend and none of the clocks were blinking so I am clueless how the fish died.  I always check the various chemical levels of the water, etc.

I cleaned up the tank, threw away all the rocks, dead fish, heater and filter. Bought all new stuff except for tank and hood, filled the tank up, waited a month and go some new fish (no cichlids, silver dollars, tetras and other weenie fish), I had them for 9 months and needed to move across the state for a job so I gave my fish to a 5th grade classroom who lost their last fish to old age and the tank and accessories to a friend of mine.

Charby

Uranus is a gas giant.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2005, 11:59:06 AM »
"Will lead hurt my fish?"
OK, since no one else took the bait (hehe);
I guess it depends on the velocity. Wink

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 12:34:35 PM »
i use lead free pipe solder to keep things down in my tank
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Will lead hurt my fish?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 02:40:11 PM »
If it causes brain damage, how are you going to know? He'll quit doing advanced calculus?