Author Topic: Moving to Memphis?  (Read 2663 times)

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Moving to Memphis?
« on: December 21, 2005, 02:57:54 AM »
Good morning.

My wife and 1 year old and I may be moving to Memphis.  We have a relative down there that is great, and she made me a job offer that I can't really refuse.  Plus, I have another opportunity or two that I can explore.

Other than my Aunt (ok, she's southern, it's pronounced "Ant"), all of our family is in the north, so the move would upset a lot of people.  However, life goes on, and they will get over it.

My question:  What is Memphis like?  How are they on 2A?  Any ranges?  What are the people like?  I have been a few times, and know that there are places to avoid, but as a rule...

What nearby towns should I also consider?  Are there any that are anti that I need to avoid?  I am concerned about my LTC.

Any insight?
One day at a time.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Moving to Memphis?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 03:19:34 AM »
My question:  What is Memphis like?  How are they on 2A?  Any ranges?  What are the people like?  I have been a few times, and know that there are places to avoid, but as a rule...
TN as a whole is very pro 2A. There is a great range in Memphis called Rangemaster

http://www.rangemaster.com

It is run by Tom Givens who is an excellent trainer. They host an annual conference that brings in guys like John Farnam for a weekend of training seminars.

As for Memphis itself. you have the music on Beale Street, Graceland, and some great BBQ.

You also have a metro area that is ranked #1 in the country for violent felonies and #2 in the country for property crimes according to the latest FBI Uniform Crime stats.

Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to raise a 1 yr old there, just my humble opinion.

Go to that link for the range I recommended. Down the left side of the page there is a link for 'past newsletters' in that you will find details about classes they have hosted, and assorted violent crimes that have occurred in town and the results.

Preacherman

Moving to Memphis?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 03:27:03 AM »
Memphis is a lovely city, but has a VERY serious crime problem.  This extends to some of the towns around it, but not to others.  You really need to talk to your aunt about that sort of thing, and start investigating crime statistics in the area.  I'd recommend living in a town near Memphis and commuting to work, so that your residential life will be less affected by crime than it would if you lived in some parts of Memphis itself.  You could also look at towns just across the border in Mississippi or Arkansas, which are less than half-an-hour's travel away.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Moving to Memphis?
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 03:47:04 AM »
I'm just a visitor.  My club goes to Memphis every September to Rhodes College, a very lovely campus (why do college girls all wear flip flops?) that reminds me of Butler but with fieldstone, not limestone.

Now, where we stay downtown is, um, another matter.  I can only tell you about downtown Memphis.  The only city (not even NYC, DC or Chicago) that I've been in where my wake up call is small arms fire (happened once).  Great night spots, but right next door looks like Berlin 1945, entire office buildings gutted and seemingly abandoned.

However, we have never had any incidents.  Everyone there is very nice to us and we always have a good time, but do not plan on getting any sleep!:D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Stranger

Moving to Memphis?
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 04:40:14 AM »
Depending on where your wife will work you might want to check out the town of Oakland or even Somerville.  Highway 64 runs through them both and is 4 lane and 65 mph much of the way.  Lots of development going on in Oakland, people are moving out of Memphis as fast as they can.  Property taxes have gone up considerably and like Preacherman said the crime rate is very high.  Drugs and poor people make a bad combination.

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
Moving to Memphis?
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 05:56:24 PM »
If I lived in Memphis, I'd literally carry a rifle all the time. Same as in Detroit. Very dangerous cities.

tjy2001

Moving to Memphis?
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 11:11:15 PM »
You don't move to Memphis, you work in Memphis and live outside the city. (Unless you like paying lots of higher taxes) Also, TN does not have a state income tax, I'm not sure about AR, but MS DOES have one, so you need to take that into account when looking for a place to live.

You have kids, so when they get older unless you homeschool, or intend to send them to private school, stay OUT of the Memphis city limits. You do not want your kid going to Memphis city schools!

2A. Its great if you mostly shoot pistols, but they shut down the only "real rifle" range in town some time ago, in Shelby Farms. We also have the highest population of CCW permit holders in the state. (that should tell you something about the crime)