Author Topic: Water found on the Moon  (Read 1225 times)

Regolith

• friend
Water found on the Moon
« on: September 24, 2009, 07:42:03 AM »

It's Official: Water Found on the Moon

SPACE.com
Andrea Thompson
Senior Writer

Since man first touched the moon and brought pieces of it back to Earth, scientists have thought that the lunar surface was bone dry. But new observations from three different spacecraft have put this notion to rest with what has been called "unambiguous evidence" of water across the surface of the moon.

The new findings, detailed in the Sept. 25 issue of the journal Science, come in the wake of further evidence of lunar polar water ice by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter and just weeks before the planned lunar impact of NASA's LCROSS satellite, which will hit one of the permanently shadowed craters at the moon's south pole in hope of churning up evidence of water ice deposits in the debris field.

The moon remains drier than any desert on Earth, but the water is said to exist on the moon in very small quantities. One ton of the top layer of the lunar surface would hold about 32 ounces of water, researchers said. 

"If the water molecules are as mobile as we think they are — even a fraction of them — they provide a mechanism for getting water to those permanently shadowed craters," said planetary geologist Carle Pieters of Brown University in Rhode Island, who led one of the three studies in Science on the lunar find, in a statement. "This opens a whole new avenue [of lunar research], but we have to understand the physics of it to utilize it."

Finding water on the moon would be a boon to possible future lunar bases, acting as a potential source of drinking water and fuel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the article is at http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090924/sc_space/itsofficialwaterfoundonthemoon

Pretty interesting stuff.  The water could be used both to support a permanent human base as well as providing a source of hydrogen for rocket fuel.  This increases the feasibility of using the moon as a stepping stone to Mars.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Water found on the Moon
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 08:41:28 AM »
Don't let coke or pepsi up there, they'd bottle it, ship it back here and sell it.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 09:46:40 AM »
Lets just blow it up anyways.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »
so would ice core cosmic debris impacts be the source?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:45:04 AM »
so would ice core cosmic debris impacts be the source?

That is the hypothesis.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 01:48:12 PM »
So, we can strip mine it for water, right?

This is pretty cool though, this morning they were speculating that solar radiation might be causing a chemical reaction that results in water on the surface.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 03:18:01 PM »
Lets just blow it up anyways.

Yeah....it obstructs my view of Venus....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 03:31:37 PM »
Yeah....it obstructs my view of Venus....  :cool:

I'm so glad you didn't say Uranus.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »
I'm so glad you didn't say Uranus.

No....I'm glad I didn't say Uranus either....  :lol:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 05:41:54 PM »
Perrier can bottle it and sell it as Derrier. =D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com