Author Topic: Who needs a cat?  (Read 1864 times)

bratch

• friend
Who needs a cat?
« on: December 22, 2005, 03:56:53 PM »
I was peacefully sitting at my computer with my legs on my bed.  The dogs are laying on my bed watching me when all of the sudden Prince (my mal) leaps off the bed and under the desk slamming into the wall.  Its probably 4 feet from the edge of the bed to the wall.  He then crawls out from under the desk with a mouse in his mouth.  And they say its cats who are mousers.

So I guess I've got an extra border aroud here.  Off to Walmart for traps.

Antibubba

• friend
Who needs a cat?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 06:18:45 PM »
Great question!  For years I too have asked, "Who needs a cat, anyway?"  Wink
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Who needs a cat?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 06:25:26 PM »
my Chow/Spitz mix is a good mouser, too.  Every now and then, we get mice or norway rats in my garage, because they're tearing down the nearby military housing units.  She goes ballistic when she knows there's a mouse out there, making a cat look absolutely lazy.

Last week, she managed to sniff out a mole in the front yard, dig it up, joyfully flip it into the air, then break its back with a quick crunch of the jaws.  She was considerate enough to brought Momma the remains.  Of course, I get the hysterical (panic for Mrs. G-98, funny as all heck to G-98) phone call describing the whole mess.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

bratch

• friend
Who needs a cat?
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 06:31:33 PM »
I got a hysterical phone call from the girlfriend about Prince one night too. Only it wasn't a mole.

He is wired right now sitting on the bed watching the floor very carefully for his next victim.  My border collie on the other hand has her head on my leg sleeping.

bratch

• friend
Who needs a cat?
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 06:50:00 PM »

Azrael256

• friend
Who needs a cat?
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 06:51:39 PM »
I have a fuzzy, rotten, blob of Turkish Van cat.  When we first moved into my old home (a trailer, in a junkyard, inhabited by a few zillion field mice), he woke me up at about 0500 one morning in an agitated state.  He obviously wanted something, so I followed him into the kitchen.  He dashed ahead of me, and plunked his chubby butt down in front of five, that's f-i-v-e, very dead mice.  His chest was puffed out, his head was high, and he was very proud to give his daddy all five of his fresh kills.  He even waited for the mice to land on the linoleum before turning them inside-out so that I wouldn't have to clean blood stains from the carpet.  I made a big fuss over him, hand fed him a handful of treats, and then scraped the mice and their now clotting viscera from the kitchen floor.

All this without front claws.  Haven't seen a single mouse since.

grampster

• friend
Who needs a cat?
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 06:57:49 PM »
Ah, yes.  Cats.  The Master of Man.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Who needs a cat?
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 07:31:25 PM »
My cats are always bringing in cotton rats from the back yard. Sometimes they bring in the occasional copperhead. The neighbors a few doors down gave up on trying to raise ducks.  Same for the rabbitry around the corner.

The fox terrier only barks at short, brown-skinned men in baseball caps.

Gewehr, a Spitz/Chow cross? Wow.  I used to raise Spitzes. They're 25 pound Maverick missles with faulty guidance systems. You know they're going to go off- you just never know when or where.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Who needs a cat?
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 08:00:35 PM »
Our cats remain outdoors, where they belong.

It just gives them the opportunity to bring us stuff like rabbits Smiley
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Norton

• friend
Who needs a cat?
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 12:53:50 AM »
Quote from: Gewehr98
my Chow/Spitz mix is a good mouser, too.  Every now and then, we get mice or norway rats in my garage, because they're tearing down the nearby military housing units.  She goes ballistic when she knows there's a mouse out there, making a cat look absolutely lazy.

Last week, she managed to sniff out a mole in the front yard, dig it up, joyfully flip it into the air, then break its back with a quick crunch of the jaws.  She was considerate enough to brought Momma the remains.  Of course, I get the hysterical (panic for Mrs. G-98, funny as all heck to G-98) phone call describing the whole mess.
Can I borrow her for a few weeks to take care of the moles in my yard?  I've tried everything....and I mean everything (well, short of napalm) to get rid of those little dirt rats.

cordex

• Administrator
Who needs a cat?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 05:50:25 AM »
The neighbors a few doors down gave up on trying to raise ducks.  Same for the rabbitry around the corner.
Why was a rabbitry trying to raise ducks?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Who needs a cat?
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 06:30:11 AM »
Oh my goodness, Rabbit, you hit Quinn's demeanor on the nail!

Gewehr, a Spitz/Chow cross? Wow.  I used to raise Spitzes. They're 25 pound Maverick missles with faulty guidance systems. You know they're going to go off- you just never know when or where.
She won't walk a straight line on her leash.  She's constantly hunting or looking for something, and running everywhere, we thought she was just dyslexic or even autistic.  Even in our back yard with Big Bernie as her playmate, her travels resemble the flight of the bumblebee.  She has exceptional hearing and one heck of a nose. A new scent brings on a full-stop, and a new track to find out what it is.  Small creatures bring a full-steam chase, she almost retrieved a mallard duck not long ago, but had the tail feathers to present Mom and Dad. If she doesn't catch the mouse/mole/rabbit/bird, then she vocalizes loudly about her disappointment.  Same goes if she's not allowed to chase a given furry little creature, she'll let you know she's displeased with your holding her back.

Now add the Chow-Chow component, which means she trusts nobody.  If you're not a member of the family wolfpack, you're either an enemy, food, or something in-between.  She's indifferent to other people as long as they're not in her "zone" or messing with members of her pack. Her favorite spot during the day is sitting in the front bedroom, on #2 stepson's bed, nose poking through the vertical blinds watching the front yard and street. She scares the living bejeezus out of a certain red-headed fat kid each day as he walks by on the sidewalk coming home from school, waiting for him to be nearest her window when she lets loose with the growling and barking.  I noticed this Christmas that UPS leaves packages on the driveway, they won't get any closer to the house.  

I've got the house posted "Beware of Dog", she has a stout lead each time she's outside with us, and I shield people from her when they come over for a visit. To some degree I consider her a liability, and do my utmost to prevent contact between her and non-family people, as well as other dogs.  That's a double-edged sword, because socialization early on would probably have helped her tremendously.  Mrs. G-98 and I found her as a little black butterball at the Humane Society, stuck in the dark corner of a steel cage, and brought her home, along with Berndoggie, the 100-pound dufus.  Both were tiny little things, here's Quinn shortly after we brought her home:

Now she's a muscular, all-black (including the tongue) 44-pound machine, fast as greased lightning, with a hunter-killer instinct. Even when she's just walking on the soccer field, she fairly ripples:

Here she is, giving Bernie a piece of her mind:

Even now, with Bernie weighing a solid 100 pounds, Quinn has no trouble terrorizing him.  When she's had enough of his shenanigans, she bites his testicles and hind legs, forcing him to sit abruptly.

She'd probably have been put to sleep at the Humane Society had I not brought her home that day, so Mrs. G-98 and myself are quite aware that we're the ones keeping Teufelhund alive and happy, she's our baby, problem child though she is.  I have noticed, as she approaches her 3rd birthday, that she seems to be mellowing out, and is more affectionate to family members and Bernie.  She's particularly attached to Stepson #2, he's the one that can take her to the vet without a muzzle. Maybe that's a good sign.

Norton, she's darned good at finding and dispatching moles.  But the nose is just the first part of the hunt.  You should see the trenches dug in my front and back yards where she went for the intercept and kill.  I'll have to film a .mpeg file, there's dirt flying everywhere and she inserts her nose into the trench all the way up to her eyes for a fresh sniff before resuming digging.  We used to think it was funny to point to the ground and yell "Quinn, there's one!" before we realized we were only hastening the roto-tilling of our yard.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Who needs a cat?
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
I'm glad to know I'm not the only Spitz owner who sees these things.

I had to replace all the window glass in the front bedrooms with thick acrylic. Seems that glass isn't impact-resistant enough for Spitzels.  They could flat-foot a 4 foot high chain link fence after they learned the electric fence wire didn't bite if they didn't touch it.  I had a chain link pen built that kept them contained- we call it the tiger cage- 14 feet per side panel, 10 feet high. They couldn't quite get to the top of it.

I never could keep nice drapes or miniblinds in a front window, either. They'd climb bookcases to find things on top, and they're not afraid of heights. I had one climb a ladder to see what I was doing when I was working onthe roof once.

I have boring dogs now.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein