Author Topic: Geico sucks.  (Read 5832 times)

Marnoot

• friend
Re: Geico sucks.
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 12:01:49 PM »
We have Progressive and have been happy with it. Geico's quote was alot higher for us. I was with Farmers Insurance before that, but left them over a combination of gross incompetence by my agent's office, and high rates.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 01:58:11 PM »
I tromped over the the out-of-state DMV today.  Got my prior DLN.

Called Geico.  They ordered driving history reports while I was on the phone.  It showed that I wasn't a lying, cop-killin, drunk-driving, reckless lowlife, and thus they reinstated my policy.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 02:59:12 PM »
It showed that I wasn't a lying, cop-killin, drunk-driving, reckless lowlife
Well that's just boring.  You need to add some excitement to your life.

:P

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 03:57:52 PM »
They are ALL good if they only take your money and you don't have any claims. The difference shows up when you need them to pay for something. They all raise your rates, but a number of them drop you ... some after three claims, some after even one claim. And, of course, you then have to tell the other companies that you were dropped by ___, so they either quote you higher rates or won't touch you, which throws you into the assigned risk pool (where the rates are REALLY high).

Don't choose auto insurance based purely on rates. The company I use is the company we have been with since my grandfather joined them, before WW2. Their rates are competitive, but not always the best. However, they take care of their customers and they don't drop you if you have one claim after having been insured with them for thirty years. Allstate, for example, is famous (or "infamous") for doing that.
No doubt about claims making the difference.  They have lowered my premiums due to no claims as well.  I don't want to have any claims in the future either.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 07:19:03 PM »
Price:
I've been using Geico for a couple years now. Both me and my wife have bad driving records, so our rates are not cheap.
The trend in this thread is that Geico is more expensive for clean records, and decent for bad records.

Service:
I've had to make one claim so far. The service was very good. The adjuster appraised the car above my perception of market value. He inspected the car in the shop the next day, and I had a check by the end of the week. Communication was clear and often.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Crow1108

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 10:38:40 PM »
I called Geico after watching their 100th or so cute commercial, and their quote was DOUBLE what I'm paying to Allstate for the same coverage. ???

That's funny. After PCS'ing back to CONUS, I first called Allstate. They wanted $300 a month for me, when I've had no tickets, and nothing negative against my driving record (I was 22 at the time, this was a little over 2 years ago). Called Geico and they quoted me a third of that.

Not saying they're the best by any means, but any company that shafts me on a premium will not get my business.
"I work in the back. I see no smiles."--"Bruce Allmighty"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 10:44:25 PM »
Might want to check with USAA.  Service second to none.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 08:29:14 AM »
We're with GEICO. They had the lowest rate for us, and we've got a pretty clean record (one accident 5 years ago). We've been happy so far.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 12:39:55 PM »
Having been purchasing auto insurance since 1973, I can assure the crownd that geico is the best, if not the cheapest.

WildymmvAlaska TM

At one time, GEICO was the cheapest for me. That was while I was active duty. I never had any problems with GEICO and they were usually very easy to work with, even after my step brother totalled my vehicle after he had been drinking. After I retired, I found that they had become one of the more expensive insurances for me. I don't know why and they wouldn't tell me. (no accidents, tickets or claims since 1986) I was looking at them around 1995 after we bought out first house. I found more competitive rates from an independent insurance agent locally.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 03:36:17 PM »
Yep, Geico wanted more than double what we were paying Progressive.  When Progressive jacked up our rates recently, we switched to AAA, and got renter's insurance for free (essentially, you all know how they rig discounting with multiple policies and such).

I read a couple articles about Geico charging ludicrous premiums to students.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 03:42:46 PM »
Yep, Geico wanted more than double what we were paying Progressive.  When Progressive jacked up our rates recently, we switched to AAA, and got renter's insurance for free (essentially, you all know how they rig discounting with multiple policies and such).

I read a couple articles about Geico charging ludicrous premiums to students.

Our situation was quite the opposite.  Progressive was charging us $140-ish a month, whereas Geico offers the same coverage for $86/month.

I think this may be because we're being underwritten by the "Geico Government Employee's" branch, due to my wife working for the state.  Anyway, they had the best price for us, and as we historically have only maintained minimum liability insurance, we shop purely price competitively. 

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 03:45:02 PM »
I went with Geico when I got out on my own and bought another car.  I didn't know how much they were overcharging me until I heard about Erie a year or so later.  Erie's rates were half what Geico was charging me for more coverage.  We've been with Erie ever since.  With two cars, two drivers and an accident, I'm back up to what Geico was charging me 12 years ago.

Chris