Author Topic: NYC undercover stings expose 'gun show loophole'  (Read 4403 times)

jackdanson

• friend
NYC undercover stings expose 'gun show loophole'
« on: October 07, 2009, 11:37:27 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091007/ap_on_re_us/us_nyc_gun_sting

Good times.  I'd like to see the videos.  What idiotic sellers would still sell after being informed that the person wouldn't pass a check?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: NYC undercover stings expose 'gun show loophole'
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
And this is how it starts...

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 06:04:56 AM »
What idiotic sellers would still sell after being informed that the person wouldn't pass a check?

There are some out there.

BTW, when I went to the last gunshow in Chantilly (the huge "Nation's Gunshow" in NoVa), there was a sign on the entrance that no private sales were to take place outside the building.  I guess that was so patrons couldn't take advantage of the crowds of potential buyers without paying for a ticket, but it was a new development.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:06:16 AM »
BTW, when I went to the last gunshow in Chantilly (the huge "Nation's Gunshow" in NoVa), there was a sign on the entrance that no private sales were to take place outside the building.  I guess that was so patrons couldn't take advantage of the crowds of potential buyers without paying for a ticket, but it was a new development.

How is that legally enforceable?  Based on the gunshow owning the parking lot?  ???
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »
How is that legally enforceable?  Based on the gunshow owning the parking lot?  ???
The First Amendment lets people issue pretty much any "directive" they want . . . but as G98 points out, enforcement can become problematic when there's no statutory authority backing it up. (In the past, I've simply IGNORED directives that came from people without any actual authority.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 09:53:51 AM »
It's treated as a trespassing issue.  I'm not sure where it came from.  I haven't been to a show in months, it wasn't there last time, but was quite prominent last weekend.

It might also be a way to not advertise "the gunshow loophole z0mg!!!eleventy!!".

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:06:01 AM »
"If he was serious about curbing crime he would have cooperated with local law enforcement authorities instead of grandstanding at a press conference," NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said.
True. 

To me, it is pretty stupid for these guys to be selling like that.  I can't imagine that most buyers who can't pass a background check would be bragging about that while making the purchase.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 10:55:25 AM »
And this is how it starts...

I normally find myself in concurrence with Headless Thompson Gunner, but must differ this time.

This is how it continues.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 09:25:15 AM »
This out of Nevada, we are such a threat to NYC:

http://www.rgj.com/article/20091007/NEWS12/91007009&OAS_sitepage=news.rgj.com%2Fbreakingnews

New York officials secretly videotaped what they call illegal gun sales at Nevada show

NEW YORK (AP) — Private unlicensed gun dealers were captured on video selling weapons to undercover investigators who admitted they couldn’t pass background checks in a sting operation by Mayor Michael Bloomberg to highlight the “gun show loophole.”

The stings, described in a city report and documented on video released at City Hall on Wednesday, were conducted at seven gun shows in Tennessee, Ohio and Nevada. Those states are among the many that permit private unlicensed dealers, known as “occasional sellers,” to sell weapons at gun shows without conducting background checks.

Gun-control advocates say the loophole makes it easier for criminals to acquire guns and prevents law enforcement from being able to trace those weapons if they are used in crimes.

Nine states, including New York, have passed laws to close the loophole, requiring background checks on at least all handgun purchases at gun shows. Bloomberg has long campaigned for Congress to close it, and for states to do it on their own if the federal government does not.

Even in states that haven’t closed the loophole, federal law bars “occasional sellers” from selling guns to people they have reason to believe would fail background checks.

This is where the Bloomberg operation says 19 out of 30 sellers broke the law during the investigation, in which undercover investigators posing as buyers wore tiny cameras concealed in baseball hats and purses and audio recorders hidden in wristwatches.

In each purchase, the investigator showed interest in buying a gun, agreed on a price and then indicated that he probably could not pass a background check. Most sellers allowed the purchases anyway, responding in some cases by saying, “I couldn’t pass one either,” or “I don’t care,” according to the videos.

Two assault rifles and 20 semiautomatic handguns were bought this way, the report said.

“What you just saw was willful disregard of the law, and it happened again and again and again,” Bloomberg said, after showing several videos of those sales.

"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 09:39:11 AM »
Quote from: Mayor Bloomberg
“What you just saw was willful disregard of the law, and it happened again and again and again,” Bloomberg said, after showing several videos of those sales.

Quote from: Associated Press
Bloomberg has long campaigned for Congress to close it, and for states to do it on their own if the federal government does not.

So his response to this willful disregard is to............Have congress pass another law? This doesn't seem to me to be the most effective strategy.

Is willful disregard of the law illegal yet?

Also, is his position that NY's background check law is so good criminals travel to Nevada from NY to break federal law?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 11:02:41 AM »
private unlicensed dealers

I believe the correct term for such people is "citizens."

Selling to someone who is prohibited by law from owning a gun is a crime. If Bloomberg had to go all the way to Nevada to find people willing to break the law, the "loophole" must be much smaller than he claims.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 01:16:36 PM »
He has no authority in Nevada, why isn't he or his cohorts being arrested for making an illegal purchase?
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 11:49:53 PM »
Good question.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 02:28:21 AM »
I'm sure this will be exposed to be theater, and few will care.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 03:47:58 PM »
I'm sure this will be exposed to be theater, and few will care.

Wishful thinking.
60 minutes or CNN will do an expose on the whole matter, and how "unlicensed dealers" are selling street sweeping assult pistols to 12 year olds who want to kill all the bullies, and flooding all the cities with "illegal guns".
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 05:05:20 PM »
private unlicensed dealers

I believe the correct term for such people is "citizens."

That is exactly what I was thinking when I read that.

Is it even legal for him to send in cops from his state into another state and do that? Jack-booted thugery is afoot.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 01:02:27 PM »
Isn't there Federal laws in that states that you cannot purchase a firearm in a state theat you do not reside in?  If there is, why aren't everyone of the buyers facing Fed charges on illegal firearm purchases.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »
Isn't there Federal laws in that states that you cannot purchase a firearm in a state theat you do not reside in?  If there is, why aren't everyone of the buyers facing Fed charges on illegal firearm purchases.

There are very few snakes that eat other snakes.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

erictank

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 07:16:06 PM »
He has no authority in Nevada, why isn't he or his cohorts being arrested for making an illegal purchase?

You can ask him that yourself - the NYC Mayor's Office website has a comment button.

I did in fact drop him a line, and ask when he planned to surrender to law enforcement for the multiple state and federal firearms and conspiracy laws he and his crew violated (felonies one and all, IIRC), and to which of the 5 state and federal law-enforcement agencies I could think of off the top of my head with jurisdiction over some or all of his crimes would he choose to surrender himself and his co-conspirators.

I never expect that question to get a serious answer.

I was amused, slightly, to see that he declined to play his little games in Virginia this time, following the notice from our AG (and the subsequent passage of state legislation) that a repeat of his previous efforts (which this was) would be considered felonies and subject all involved to prosecution.  If I were a NYC resident, I'd be fairly torqued over the fact that he spent $1.5 million of the city's tax monies (that is to say, the residents' tax monies) on his personal crusade, rather than pay for his windmill-jousting out of his own deep pockets.