Author Topic: Billion-Dollar Helicopter?  (Read 5836 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
Re: Billion-Dollar Helicopter?
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 06:41:30 AM »
Well yeah, Hawk.

Did you know that one previous Administration spokesman actually had the gall to say: "The President really hates to see all the regular folk sitting at blockaded intersections when he travels by Limo, so he prefers Marine One."

We actually have reinstated royalty in this country.  :rolleyes:

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 03:24:54 PM »
Early in my Navy career, the shore duty component of my squadron had all of the VH-3As for the Navy on the East Coast (HC-6). I had the opportunity to go into them. They made Cadillacs look cheap. Plush carpet throughout, fine leather recliners, several peculiar comm systems, accessible to the passengers and many other things that can't be discussed. The rules at the time was E-4 and below only did wash jobs and waxed the aircraft. E-5 and above performed any maintenance. Maintainers were required to remove their shoes before entering. It was surreal.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 04:24:13 PM »
Early in my Navy career, the shore duty component of my squadron had all of the VH-3As for the Navy on the East Coast (HC-6). I had the opportunity to go into them. They made Cadillacs look cheap. Plush carpet throughout, fine leather recliners, several peculiar comm systems, accessible to the passengers and many other things that can't be discussed. The rules at the time was E-4 and below only did wash jobs and waxed the aircraft. E-5 and above performed any maintenance. Maintainers were required to remove their shoes before entering. It was surreal.

These days, you put on specialized slippers over your shoes.  Roughly the same one doctors use, but more padded on the soles.  Don't want stinky feet smelling up an aircraft, you know? 

The VH-3A was phased out in 1989.  Good aircraft, but old. 

And they need all this to fly from the White House lawn to Andrews AFB?

:Barf:

Nyet.  A bird is always ready to go "nearby" where ever the President happens to be.  VH-3D's are for the PR events and anything normal.  VH-60N's are for when things get (or have potential to get) interesting or the President is far from home.  Or shipping around second tier VIP's.  If you see a cluster of VH-60N's followed by a couple 53E's, things are very interesting.   =D

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 05:45:43 PM »
The only thing we see around here are B1-RDs Occasionally a GU-11 but those are usually hovering around Mount Trashmore. 
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 06:53:56 PM »
And they need all this to fly from the White House lawn to Andrews AFB?

:Barf:
Well, yeah.  If they didn't have the helimochoppers to fly him to Andrews they'd have to drive him, and then they'd need billion dollar limousines.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »
At night all MIL DTL53039 dark green (shade FS34031) helicopters are black...
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

FTA84

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 02:20:00 AM »
Wait, it won't be painted earth-cooling white?

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 07:58:41 AM »
Gold plating make a great faraday cage.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 12:46:45 PM »
Well yeah, Hawk.

Did you know that one previous Administration spokesman actually had the gall to say: "The President really hates to see all the regular folk sitting at blockaded intersections when he travels by Limo, so he prefers Marine One."

We actually have reinstated royalty in this country.  :rolleyes:

TC

I really take the statement to mean, "He hates to see all the regular folk having to sit blockaded at intersections because he chose to take the limo. When he takes Marine One, he doesn't cause traffic jams.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 05:12:36 PM »
I really take the statement to mean, "He hates to see all the regular folk having to sit blockaded at intersections because he chose to take the limo. When he takes Marine One, he doesn't cause traffic jams.

That's how I read it too.  Quite sensibly he hates to be a bother unnecessarily.  

Technically, if he weren't driving through a region that produces nothing of value, the opportunity cost of all those individuals unable to work for the amount of time delayed by the motorcade would probably outweigh the comparatively higher cost of choppering it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 10:49:18 PM by carebear »
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 05:51:22 PM »
That's how I tead it too.  Quite sensibly he hates to be a bother unnecessarily. 

Technically, if he weren't driving through a region that produces nothing of value, the opportunity cost of all those individuals unable to work for the amount of time delayed by the motorcade would probably outweigh the comparatively higher cost of choppering it.

Choppering it isn't that expensive, relatively speaking.  Compared to the delays and security prep work for any route he takes.  Helicopters are expensive in infrastructure, but per engine time hour isn't that bad.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 10:49:58 PM »
Choppering it isn't that expensive, relatively speaking.  Compared to the delays and security prep work for any route he takes.  Helicopters are expensive in infrastructure, but per engine time hour isn't that bad.

Welllllll, look at fact boy here with his facts and stuff.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2009, 10:56:56 PM »
Darn it, it's MIL DTL53039 aircraft dark green, specifically Federal Standard# 34031 (as specified in the FS 595B - Colors used in Federal Procurement).  Is it REALLY that hard to say "Em dark green (shade FS34031) helicopters are doing XYZ" instead of "Em black helicopters are doing XYZ"

Gah!  I swear tin foil makes people immune from using proper and accurate nomenclature!   :mad:

:laugh:

You gov't types are only saying that because you don't want to admit to the black helicopters....

:cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2009, 11:42:24 PM »
You gov't types are only saying that because you don't want to admit to the black helicopters....

I'm aware that "denial is proof", but I haven't worked for the govt in any capacity in many years and back then I was just an innocent, boring commo geek.  If ya need help with a SINCGARS or a network, I'm your dude.  Now, on the other hand, Leatherneck IS one of 'em nefarious govt folks.  Ask him about his black ops missions involving a coffee pot, a bottle of vodka, a TPS report, and three cute Pentagon secretaries.

But seriously, black is a bad color if you're trying to hide.  It's too dark, and thus easy to spot.  Lighter colors blend in better and are much harder to spot.  Some spy aircraft and UAV's actually have lights on the bottom to make them harder to spot.  Simple wiring, you literally just need a light dependent resistor, a control relay and a light.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »
Black, blackish-green, greenish-black, that's no way to paint a helicopter.   =D

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2009, 11:54:07 PM »

Only thing better would be a shot of that helo doing a low forward sweep, with some dudes dressed in mice costumes running away as fast as possible.   :laugh:

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 02:48:24 PM »
Low-level flyover at a Furry convention?