Author Topic: Car battery replacement  (Read 10934 times)

Hutch

• friend
Car battery replacement
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:14:03 AM »
I've noticed some sluggish starting in my wife's (almost) 5 year old Jetta diesel.  I'm gonna buy a new battery.  What's the latest and greatest, longest lasting and most satisfactory battery technology out there?  What brand/make/model, and where does one buy one of these?

TIA....

H
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

HankB

• friend
Re: Car battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 08:38:24 AM »
I would avoid Interstate . . . they've never lasted long for me, and I actually had one explode once.  :O

And the Interstate rep said their warranty doesn't cover exploding batteries. (Dealer pro-rated it for replacement.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 08:51:48 AM »
Hell and breakfast... Interstate was strongly recommended by a co-worker!  Still searching...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:07:22 AM »
I have Interstate for one or two of my tractors and my truck. been in my truck a couple years, starts pretty easily. same goes for the tractor. the tractor battery died because it was left outside through the winter, but after recharging it's been fine.

FWIW...

TMM

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:31:50 AM »
Before hauling off and buying a new battery, have you thoroughly cleaned the terminals and cable ends?

If you need one, I saw a Consumer Reports a few years back with the AutoZone Duralast Platinum (I think it was Platinum) at the top of the heap for overall value.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 09:37:36 AM »
Even the Wal-mart batteries get good reviews.  I've had one of those in my truck for the last 4 years and it starts at a touch of a key no matter how cold it has been.  The toyota landcruiser forums routinely recommend those.

You were probably going to do this anyway, but my philosophy when buying a car battery is to get the biggest one available for that vehicle.  The price difference is not much and you may be happy for that extra capacity someday when your rig is having trouble starting in the middle of winter and you crank the starter a lot.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 09:59:42 AM »
I've also had good experience with Interstate. A mechanic I respect very much recommends them.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 10:00:03 AM »
Car batteries is one place where you actually get what you pay for.  Lifetimes are quite predictable.  My preference would be a seal battery fashionably oversized for the application.  Go out of your way to keep terminals clean and corrosion free.  Stick to brands at major auto supply houses.  IIRC Interstate brands a number of private label.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 10:12:18 AM »
I think I got my last battery at Autozone.  I'm not sure what brand it is, but it has lasted pretty good so far. 

I used to replace batteries every 3 years as they would fail on me.  I had one get weak suddenly and when I jiggled the terminals, one popped off. 

They cost less than $100.  They are easy to change out.  It ain't worth going cheap or trying to go a little longer on a bad one.  Being stuck somewhere without a working battery sucks.  If I even think my battery is toast and it has been 3 years or so since I bought it, I just go ahead and replace it.  It ain't worth it to me.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 10:31:39 AM »
Walmart batteries have been good to me.  I seems to get about 7 years out of them.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 10:34:40 AM »
I just go to Autozone and buy one of their store-brand batteries, of a good size, and call it good. Never failed me yet, and most of them seem to last the standard 5 years.

Do keep in mind I don't have to deal with extremely cold weather...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 11:05:34 AM »
I also go for store-brand batteries. I can't say one way or another if they are better or worse. I kind of assume lead-acid battery technology is mature. When I can't get any good data on what is actually better, I just go for what's cheaper.

FWIW my neighbors have a contract to maintain the school district's fleet of buses. They swear at Interstate batteries and swear by Delco batteries.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 11:18:14 AM »
A lot of the store brand batteries are mfg by Johnson Controls.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
I've had good luck with Interstate and Sears Die-Hard.

My latest battery came from Farm & Fleet.  2 years so far, so good...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 11:36:47 AM »
Some years Interstate comes in dead last in Consumers' Reports.  Some years it comes in first.

I usually get the cheapest battery of sufficient size.  I never spend the extra money to get a "60 month battery" or whatever, because they just prorate the warranty anyway.  By the time they give you money for the last 18 months of your 60 month battery to be applied toward the purchase of a new battery (which is never discounted), you haven't saved anything, in my experience.  You just paid more up front.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 11:54:35 AM »
Car batteries is one place where you actually get what you pay for.
I have yet to have a OEM battery not last more than 7 years. I've had cheap batteries crap out after  2 years.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 12:03:17 PM »
I've always been a Die-Hard fan. I had one that lasted 12 years. The others have all gone at least 8.

I just got my first diesel truck a couple of years ago. Can't wait to replace the batts in the beast.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 12:07:22 PM »
Consumers Reports rates the Autozone Duralast Gold and the Walmart Everstart batteries best value. Most places are only selling private label batteries these days, mostly made by Johnson Controls or Exide. I usually buy the highest CCA that will fit the vehicle, in a 3-year full-replacement warranty. I usually get 3-4 years out of them, which is only slightly shorter than the OEM batteries. Lately I have been trying to replace the batteries before they leave me stranded on the coldest morning of the winter, which is always when they fail for me.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 03:47:40 PM »
I have yet to have a OEM battery not last more than 7 years. I've had cheap batteries crap out after  2 years.

TX heat seems to be harder on batteries than MN cold; few batteries last 5 years.

My Pathfinder's OEM battery recently crapped out after just 3 1/2 years.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 03:52:34 PM »
I get 10% off Die Hard batteries from Sears, so that's the last battery I go. They've worked great, down to -50 below zero, and after having sat for 2-3 weeks at a time covered in a snow drift.

I've had terrible luck with Wal-Mart batteries.

(In a Pontiac Sunfire with the 2.2)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 05:30:04 PM »
My Die-Hard that went 12 years was from back when you could still get maintainable batteries. I always made sure to add electrolyte as needed and trickle charge it every couple of months or so. Plus it ran in a mild CA climate in a little 4-banger Jeep Comanche.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 08:08:55 PM »
Most batteries are made by the same people, just with different labels, logos, and warranties.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 08:45:26 PM »
Get yourself a real diesel battery from a real diesel engine company...

http://www.cat.com/parts/batteries

PDF of available battery options. The most informative battery catalogue you will find.
http://www.cat.com/cda/files/1386197/7/PEHJ0073-02.pdf?m=37407&x=7

Full disclosure: I work for Cat, but not in the battery division.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 08:14:44 AM »
Autozone Duralast Gold it was.  There is exactly 1 size/form factor that fits the Jetta TDI, so it was an easy decision.  Had the cheeful folks there test the battery and alternator, which both checked out fine.  He recommended sticking with what I had.  I says to him, I says "Wellsir, I'm buying a battery today.  You want to sell one?"

The new battery goosed the ol' Jetta into life with alacrity this morning, so I'm pleased.

Der Deutch put an incredible amount of STUFF on and around the battery of that little car.  Took 5 minutes before he could actually put a wrench on the terminals.  This was not as bad as the person ahead of me in line.  They had to have a brace and the windshield washer reservoir removed before he could actually even SEE the battery.  Chevy Malibu, I think that was.  Reckon how they put jumper cables on one of them?

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 09:59:58 AM »
Reckon how they put jumper cables on one of them?

There's usually a jumper post attached to the positive terminal, that sticks up high enough to clamp a cable to.