Author Topic: La-a  (Read 10316 times)

Chuck Dye

• friend
Re: La-a
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 11:14:50 PM »
The worst I recall is a woman featured on the tube whose daughter's birth certificate ran, IIRC, 167 pages.  The few seconds of Mom's recital sounded like nothing more than a randomized listing of Los Angeles street names.

I used to figure my sister should have been a loan officer:  "You want a loan?  Go see Helen Dye!"
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2009, 05:41:13 PM »
Last names are more funner, there is no escaping them. Consider these actual folks who, knowing their names, still chose to join the navy. There was seaman Seaman

It's actually spelled Siemen. I think its German. I knew a girl with that name. It was funny for a while.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2009, 10:21:16 AM »
It's just a name.

Both the common and rare extremes of the naming spectrum can be annoying.  Being a "Tom Jones" or "John Smith" could get pretty tedious, but at least they can adopt nicknames if they want, and filling out paperwork is a breeze for them.

I think too many people take names too seriously, as if they're sacred heirlooms passed down through the generations.  That may work if your family is famous, but otherwise it's just tedious.  At least when it's first names that are passed down, they tend to be common and unobtrusive.  Tradition is fine and good, but I do not think a parent should value tradition over the annoyance a child would suffer having to spell the last name "Abusufait" or "Alexandropoul" countless times in a borderline-illiterate culture that frequently can't even spell real English words.  (those two names were picked at random from the end of the census data)

Rare, exotic, or variant names tend to be hard to spell, and who knows what embarrassing or silly thing they might sound like in some other language.  Variant names are the worst, though.  A "Krysti" would have to spell her name with the NATO phonetic alphabet EVERY TIME it's asked for.

The U.S. Census has neat name datasets from the 2000 census, listing last names, males' first names, and females' first names by frequency.

It's just a name.  I think parents should strive to find a happy compromise so that their kid will not get lost in a sea of "Jane Smiths", but also won't be subject to ridicule or google-searching as "Blu Skyy".  If your kid really wants an exotic or un-spellable ethnic name, he or she can go by that nickname, and change it officially at 18 once (hopefully) wise enough to understand some of the implications of having those kinds of names in western society.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2009, 10:44:48 AM »
Well, generally, traditional family names are often at least unique and normal at the same time.  You normally have several to choose from also.  Making up some "far out" name or trying to be clever usually gets people into trouble.  I guess also many of the "normal" names in the US are Biblical as well.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2009, 11:57:27 AM »
Being a "Tom Jones" or "John Smith" could get pretty tedious, but at least they can adopt nicknames if they want, and filling out paperwork is a breeze for them.

Being named Jacob Johnson, I can agree with that completely.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2009, 04:54:19 PM »
OTOH, having a common name means there is likely some criminal with your same name  =(

When I was a kid, some high level state official with my first/last was prosecuted for corruption.  I took a lot of crap for it for a few days.

There is a US congressman with my first/last right now.  I might even be distantly related to him.  At least he is an R. :)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin