Author Topic: Bar shootout in Toledo  (Read 1880 times)

zahc

• friend
Bar shootout in Toledo
« on: October 13, 2009, 03:21:38 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/10/12/crimesider/entry5378669.shtml

I'm planning on moving to Toledo to work at UT in the near future. When I was visiting it in September, several police officers were shot while I was there, not far from campus. I'm starting to wonder if I should shy away from the area completely. It's close to Detroit afterall, which I envision becoming a warzone in the possibly-not-distant future.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Bar shootout in Toledo
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 03:42:43 PM »
which I envision becoming a warzone in the possibly-not-distant future.
Isn't it one already?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 04:37:56 PM »
Easy answer -

Move to Toledo - Don't dress like a cop, stay out of bars.

Your welcome.
7-11 was a part time job.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:53:09 PM »
Last time I was in Toledo was probably 18 years ago and it didn't look too good back then.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 07:30:47 PM »
Isn't it one already?

Has been since the 60's. Same can be said for at least portions of most American big cities. Our "War on poverty" had some unintended consequences.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 07:59:03 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/10/12/crimesider/entry5378669.shtml
It's close to Detroit afterall, which I envision becoming a warzone in the possibly-not-distant future.

I live near Detroit and have driven to / through Toledo many times.  There are many, many miles of woods, farmland and nice small communities between the two hell holes.  Rest assured that Toledo is a self-reliant hell hole, completely independent of Detroit.  Besides, the people in Detroit who make the city a hell hole probably have never heard of Toledo, wouldn't know where to find it, and couldn't afford the gas to get there even if I'm wrong about the first two assumptions in this sentence.   :lol:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:02:12 PM by Declaration Day »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:51:47 PM »
Yeah, I was planning on hopefully getting a place to live near Perrysburg; it gets a lot more "my speed" just a few miles south of the university.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 11:53:07 PM »
Random Toledo trivia that I'm sure plenty of you know:

Back in the day Michigan and Ohio were going to go to war over Toledo.  It had a port and it was valuable.  Surveying technology wasn't as good as it is now and Ohio laid claim to it.  It was in Michigan's borders (if you ever wonder why Michigan's southern border "dips" into Ohio a bit this is why) but Andrew Jackson worked out a deal where Ohio got Toledo and Michigan got the UP.

Militias were called out and shots were fired up into the air but the only casualty was a Sheriff that got stabbed by a pen knife.  He went to arrest somebody that was on the "wrong" side of the issue, I think somebody in Toledo saying they should be part of Michigan, and during the arrest the Sheriff was stabbed with a pen knife by the guy's son.  Or something like that.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »
Random Toledo trivia that I'm sure plenty of you know:

Back in the day Michigan and Ohio were going to go to war over Toledo.  It had a port and it was valuable.  Surveying technology wasn't as good as it is now and Ohio laid claim to it.  It was in Michigan's borders (if you ever wonder why Michigan's southern border "dips" into Ohio a bit this is why) but Andrew Jackson worked out a deal where Ohio got Toledo and Michigan got the UP.

Militias were called out and shots were fired up into the air but the only casualty was a Sheriff that got stabbed by a pen knife.  He went to arrest somebody that was on the "wrong" side of the issue, I think somebody in Toledo saying they should be part of Michigan, and during the arrest the Sheriff was stabbed with a pen knife by the guy's son.  Or something like that.

That is true...but you left out the best part.  That's why people now say that Ohio lost the war.

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »
They still have the Mudhens?

WildgreatteamnameAlaska TM
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Lee

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 12:50:07 AM »
Yes, they do still have the Mud Hens.  Getting a Mud Hens jersey has been on my "have to do soon" list for 20 years. :laugh: