Author Topic: In need of a structural engenieer around San Antonio, TX... Is my house a lemon  (Read 7870 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
BS.  If the structure is located on known expansive soils, the lot should be prepared in a way that compensates.  If they didn't, that's definitely a builder issue.

Call the TREC builder line.  It's in the link I posted above.  TREC (Texas Real Estate Commission) exists as a licensing authority and consumer advocate.  They should be able to get you started down the right path.

Brad

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
Can be done, just not the easy way.  It usually involved driving piles through the slab and waaaay down into the ground, or injecting grout or cement into the soil underneat the slab.

Brad

I know all about grout injection. But that only works in/on stable soils. If you inject grout to level a structure that's resting on expansive clay soil -- you still have a structure that's resting on expansive clay soil and the next time it rains (or dries out, depending on the condition of the soil when they do the injection) ... the problem starts all over.

Driving piles through the expansive clay to a stable substratum is a possibility, but how do you drive piles through a completed house and, once the piles are in place, how do you anchor the foundation to the piles to isolate the structure from the expansive clay underpinnings?

Best approach, IMHO, remains to get your money back (if possible) and move on.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design