Author Topic: Health care at the DMV....No, seriously, I mean it.  (Read 2506 times)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Health care at the DMV....No, seriously, I mean it.
« on: October 15, 2009, 10:06:56 PM »
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/55450

The most revelatory passage in the so-called “plain English” version of the health care bill that the Senate Finance Committee approved on Tuesday (without ever drafting the actual legislative language) says that in the future Americans will be offered the convenience of getting their health insurance at the Department of Motor Vehicles.

This is no joke. If this bill becomes law, it will be the duty of the U.S. secretary of health and human services or the state governments overseeing federally mandated health-insurance exchanges to ensure that you can get your health insurance at the DMV.

More at the link. Simply astonishing. Oregon DMV isn't too bad, actually, but as someone who had the pleasure of dealing with the DMV in CA for many years, the thought of this makes me want to curl up in a ball and vomit profusely at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:19:32 AM by Fjolnirsson »
Hi.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Health care at the DMV....
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:11:21 PM »
More at the link. Simply astonishing. Oregon DMV isn't too bad, actually, but as someone who had the pleasure of dealing with the DMV in CA for many years, the thought of this makes me want to curl up in a ball and vomit profusely at the same time.

And what about states that have largely privatized their DMV's?  Here, I can go to roughly half a dozen different companies that do everything the DMV can do except some title stuff.  Longest I ever waited was approximately a minute or two.  Folks were helpful, knowledge and courteous.  My only experience with the DMV was getting my license and that sucked.  If it's relegated to the DMV, I hope it's outsourced to the same folks.   =D

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:29:25 PM »
And what about states that have largely privatized their DMV's?  Here, I can go to roughly half a dozen different companies that do everything the DMV can do except some title stuff.  Longest I ever waited was approximately a minute or two.  Folks were helpful, knowledge and courteous.  My only experience with the DMV was getting my license and that sucked.  If it's relegated to the DMV, I hope it's outsourced to the same folks.   =D
Hmm.  So we're talking about making insurance public, then selling it through public offices like the DMV, then privatizing those DMV offices so they work quickly and conveniently they way private offices usually do.

Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to just leave insurance private and not mess with it in the first place?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:31:50 PM »
Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to just leave insurance private and not mess with it in the first place?

Yes.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:00:28 PM »
Hmm.  So we're talking about making insurance public, then selling it through public offices like the DMV, then privatizing those DMV offices so they work quickly and conveniently they way private offices usually do.

ofcorse, but don't you want your hopie change? =D

Dannyboy

• friend
Re: Health care at the DMV....No, seriously, I mean it.
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 08:01:57 AM »
How is that gonna work in places like VA, where they don't even want you in the DMV? 
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 08:34:02 AM »

Luckily for you, DMV healthcare will make it possible to do just that.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 09:40:49 PM »

You must be a racist....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 09:58:04 PM »
Probably a way for the .gov to check an see if you have health care. 

Renew your license, sure just have to show proof that you have health insurance or you will be penalized on the spot and your license will be revoked until you show proof. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 10:18:01 PM »
I believe the plan is to use the IRS to enforce the health care requirements.  Show proof of insurance at tax filing time, or pay a fine larger than the cost of insurance.

You must be a racist....
Sure seems that way, dunnit?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 09:43:24 AM »

Don't be obvious, that is rude.  And logic has no bearing either, so don't try that tact, Young Man! :)
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
The peanut farmer must be ecstatic...  He's no longer the worst ever.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »
i think he is upset that he might lose he's title :laugh: