Author Topic: Total LUST!!!  (Read 10336 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Total LUST!!!
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »
Yes, but for a museum-quality, never issued, never used Mauser?  If I had the money, I'd buy one, and a glass case to show it in.  I love old military guns!

see, i don't get that so much. I would rather have one that was issued with scratches and dings from being in the feild. Now thats history.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 08:44:31 PM »
http://www.samcoglobal.com/98-29.html

Persians are still available. The one I got was a VG condition, had some stock wear where it was gripped around the forearm and wrist of the stock, bore looked like it had very few rounds put through it. The blueing int he bolt raceway and other areas where it would normally wear off with use was shiny and new looking. 

I also have a Husqvarna M38 mauser that looks like it just left the arsenal when I bought it.

I owned an unissued Yugoslavian M48 mauser and still have an unissued Yugo SKS.

None of the above rifles I paid more than $400 for, though the Husky is possibly worth nearly twice that as it was made in a very rare year.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 08:52:12 PM »
see, i don't get that so much. I would rather have one that was issued with scratches and dings from being in the feild. Now thats history.

Yup.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 11:02:42 PM »
See, I don't get that so much. I would rather have one that was issued with scratches and dings from being in the field. Now that's history.
But this time, you get to dent and ding it up yourself, and know where they all came from!  =D

Reminds me of a Mosin M44 I saw in a pawn shop a long while back (marked at $200 :rolleyes: ) that had distinctly had a bite mark on the heel side of the butt.  As in, both sides, not deep, but definitely there (and missing the left-top canine).   :O
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 11:45:56 PM »
There was a nice Arisaka at the local Cabelas a few years ago that was in really nice shape except a bullet scar along the left hand side of the stock (it looked a bit like a worm chewed straight through some of the foreend) along with heavy pitting of the receiver and bolt on that side as well. To some this is some sort of bonus, I simply didn't have the stomach to buy something with this kind of 'history.'

Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 10:42:13 AM »
If I got one that was scratched and dinged but otherwise sound, and not some rare collectable variation, I'd be inclined to make a custom rifle out of it . . . for me, military-pattern bolt actions are less fun to shoot regularly than a good (note, I said good) sporter configuraton rifle, and a genuine M98 action makes a good starting point for a custom gun.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 10:49:01 AM »
Oh, boy.

Hank Bubba'ed the thread.   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2009, 12:22:11 PM »
Oh, boy.

Hank Bubba'ed the thread.   =|
I Bubba'ed it?

(I guess you missed Micro's pictures . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2009, 12:42:37 PM »
If I got one that was scratched and dinged but otherwise sound, and not some rare collectable variation, I'd be inclined to make a custom rifle out of it . . . for me, military-pattern bolt actions are less fun to shoot regularly than a good (note, I said good) sporter configuraton rifle, and a genuine M98 action makes a good starting point for a custom gun.

Unless had real cheap, why?  If you got the mauser the OP linked to, you'd need to have the bolt bent, drill for scope mount (assuming you'd want that), get a stock, rebarrel, etc.  Might as well get a used Winchester CRF, CZ, etc and use that as a starting point with most of your work done.  You can find a used Winchester CRF in usable condition for as little as $400ish, especially after deer season is over.  I bet even a cheap mauser action will cost you that much after you bend the bolt and drill scope rail mounting holes.

I tried this route once.  Years ago, I was given a VERY rough mauser in 30-06 and was going to build a sporter with it.  The cost to drill scope mounts alone was over $100.  A usable (not pretty) stock was another $100+.  That's $200 without even bending the bolt, doing trigger work, replacing the safety, rebarreling/rechambering (donor had the old stepped barrel), or refinishing.  About the same time, I passed on a nice Winchester 338WinMag for $350 (dammit!!!!).  A buddy bought that rifle, it turned out to be a tackdriver (double dammit!!!!).

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 01:33:19 PM »
Unless had real cheap, why?  If you got the mauser the OP linked to, you'd need to have the bolt bent, drill for scope mount (assuming you'd want that), get a stock, rebarrel, etc.  Might as well get a used Winchester CRF, CZ, etc and use that as a starting point with most of your work done.  You can find a used Winchester CRF in usable condition for as little as $400ish, especially after deer season is over.  I bet even a cheap mauser action will cost you that much after you bend the bolt and drill scope rail mounting holes.

I tried this route once.  Years ago, I was given a VERY rough mauser in 30-06 and was going to build a sporter with it.  The cost to drill scope mounts alone was over $100.  A usable (not pretty) stock was another $100+.  That's $200 without even bending the bolt, doing trigger work, replacing the safety, rebarreling/rechambering (donor had the old stepped barrel), or refinishing.  About the same time, I passed on a nice Winchester 338WinMag for $350 (dammit!!!!).  A buddy bought that rifle, it turned out to be a tackdriver (double dammit!!!!).

I plan to do something like that in the distant future. I have a M38 turk with a barrel beyond shot out (there is litterally rifling missing from parts of the bore!) and a 'new' Swedish M96 barrel just waiting to be mated up. The total cost for the barrel and the donor action was just over $100.

Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 02:12:42 PM »
Yes, I've seen MB's hacked Noisy Magnet.  I refrained from comment.

I've done both.

I've rebuilt milsurps that were just too far gone for me to restore back to military condition, making them into precision and sporting rifles, the latter along the lines of R.F. Sedgley and the lovely commercial sporting Mausers as delivered from Oberndorf. They aren't worth anything near what a pristine Mauser or Springfield would bring, but they have their place in my collection.

I've also restored milsurps that Bubba hacksawed and Dremeled into abominations, but the bolt and receiver were still unmolested, giving me something to work with.  My 1903A4 came to me as a hacked "deer rifle", albeit with 18" barrel and crudely hacksawed stock. I thought about passing on the project, until I saw the offset "Z"-prefix serial on the receiver.  That warranted my efforts, right there.  Truthfully, I've done more Bubba restoration jobs than the other way around, by a large margin.

40-50 years ago when you could get Springfields, Mausers, Enfields, and Krags for a dime a dozen, nobody gave second thought into cutting them up. You  could get a darned nice hunting or target rifle for less than a comparable Remchester. Fast-forward to the present, and it's a different story in both availability and cost of conversion.  Granted, it's your gun and your Dremel tool, so it's entirely one's prerogative to "modify" such pieces as they see fit.  It goes back to the old, "It's your soap and washcloth, you can wash as hard and fast as you want to" analogy.  ;)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 02:32:17 PM »
. . . 40-50 years ago when you could get Springfields, Mausers, Enfields, and Krags for a dime a dozen, nobody gave second thought into cutting them up. You  could get a darned nice hunting or target rifle for less than a comparable Remchester.
SOME conversions were very nicely done, as good or better than the purpose-built sporters that came out of Oberndorf. Others, as you mentioned, were done with hacksaw and Dremel. (By enraged drunken monkeys?) Most fell somewhere in between - serviceable, but nothing special.

Unless had real cheap, why? 
Good point - with even well-worn M98 milsurps usually fetching prices of $300 - $400 or more, there's a good reason I haven't built myself a bolt action sporter from a milsurp.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »
I'm not busting your chops, just playing both sides of the house here, Hank.

I've got a safe drawer full of derelict 98 Mauser actions which I accumulated over the last 25 years or so.  I've got a Siamese Mauser action with new barrel and Bishop stock that's well on its way to becoming a .45-70 Cape Buffalo thumper.  I've got an Egyptian Rolling Block that's enroute to becoming a .40-65 Creedmoor.

Then there are the restoration projects in various stages of completion, including an 1896 U.S. Krag. =D

HankB

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 03:10:40 PM »
No offense taken.

Just wanted to make the point that if one has a common milsurp with no particular collector value, and it's 'way short of pristine condition, there's nothing wrong with using it as the basis for something better.

Heck, I've got a couple of CMP M1 Garands, and I'm thinking seriously of sending one to DGR . . . but the rifles are typical mixmasters, not worth (IMHO) the effort and expense of making them "correct."

On the other hand, I've got a nice 6.5mm Jap Arisaka my father brought home from WWII, but that's going to stay in the condition he brought it home in. Means more to me that way.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 03:32:40 PM »
A couple of years ago I restored a Swedish 94/14 carbine to as near original condition as I could. The project cost me nearly as much as an unbutchered 94/14 would have cost at the time and will never be worth as much as an unmolested example due to all the original parts being serial numbered to the receiver. I had to finad a new nosecap/bayonet lug ($120), rear stock band ($60), stock springs and screws ($25), and a new handguard ($15) Its neat to have though and fun to shoot.

At the time a 94/14 ran rthe range of $400-750, with M94s (lacking bayonet lug) going for well over $1000. They got to be this expensive because most of them that were imported were hacked apart or sporterized.

Barack Obama

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 03:36:08 PM »
I usually prefer beaters.  There's just something about this one perfect example that got me going.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2009, 06:42:16 PM »
The trouble with sporters is that there are entirely too many people out there that grossly overestimate their skill and/or lack a clue. Every so often I see things that make  me want to just slap their creator. Like the 1895 dated M91 Mosin that was stripped of sights, cut to 16 inches, put into a plastic stock and topped with that ridiculous bolt handle and scope mount that ATI made. The best part was, he wanted $700 for it.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2009, 07:47:51 PM »

Yup.

wow, i've been away and i missed this. did fistful and i actually agree on something?  :O

*chuckle*
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 10:11:02 PM »
(posted in the wrong thread)  :facepalm:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 10:38:48 PM »
Zombie! Zombie!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2010, 11:37:28 PM »
Dolores O'Riordan?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010, 12:25:35 AM »
Is hot. That is all.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.