Author Topic: I hate walmart  (Read 6944 times)

KPT

I hate walmart
« on: October 18, 2009, 02:02:30 AM »
Yeah everyone does and I'm not trying to start a general Walmart bashing thread but I need to rant.

I've never hunted before in my life but have recently decided to give it a try. In the wonderful state of North Carolina you need to take a hunter safety course before you can get a hunting license. It is a ten hour course on what should be common sense. I completed the course Saturday. I generally avoid Walmart but it was the most convenient place to purchase the hunting license between my house and the land I have permission to hunt.

This "sporting goods" counter didn't sell firearms. There were some muzzleloaders, airsofts and BB guns for sale but whatever, I do not buy guns at Walmart. I told the guy I needed to purchase a hunting license. He says I don't know how to do that and calls a coworker over. The coworker says log into this website (ncalvin.org). The original guy pulls a piece of paper out of wallet with his login/pw written on it. Even with that he can't log in. The second guy logs in and tells the first guy to fill out the info. The guy has my drivers license and paper saying I've completed the safety class in his hand. Both have name, DOB and address. He asks me for all of that info. The DL has hair and eye color, height and weight but he has to ask me all of that too.

Anyway they get the hunting license printed out and I ask them how do I get tags. The second guy says "license tags?". No, the tags you put on game. He knows nothing about it. Luckily the game warden teaching the safety class gave out his cell number. I call him and he says they need to select these options and the tags will print out.

So 40 minutes later I have the license and the tags. Gun season started that day (17th). I get out to the land around 6:30. As soon as I get to the trailhead leading to the land there is a deer in the headlights of the truck. I keep driving and get to the barn. As soon as I get out of the truck another deer runs by. I get up in the barn stand as I call it and don't see another deer.

Thanks Walmart for taking 40 minutes on what should have been a 10 minute transaction..............

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: I hate walmart
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:07:26 AM »
Incompetence in low level retail employees is not limited to Walmart. And not everyone hates Wally World. They provide a lot of people honest work, and sell goods those people want at a low cost. Too bad their stuff is Made in China, but that's free trade and unfree US labour markets for you.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 07:56:34 AM »
What Balog said, X100.

I've been in good walmarts and bad walmarts.  The sporting goods counter in the Morehead city walmart (NC) is excellent.  The guys there were friendly and helpful.  Here by my house, not so much.  There is one off I66 in VA near Front Royal where I had to go around the counter and show the guy how to get me a reprint on my fishing license.
The one by my house when I lived in Ut had an excellent cast of characters working the Sporting goods counter. 
Its WalMart.  You want cheaply priced goods, but then complain about so-so service?
Next time you're doing something at walmart and it takes too long, make them call in a manager.  The other thing about walmart is that alot of employees can access departments they don't work in.  The person helping you might be filling in for someone. 

We've had a number of these walmart threads go downhill, quickly.  Consider this a warning.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:38:47 AM »
KPT, yes there is plenty of incompetence at Walmart. You knew that. You should have bought your license the day before.

Lesson learned.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:51:24 AM »
Like other stuff, I buy my hunting license at the local gunstore or convenince store instead of Wal-Mart....we even have an auto parts store that sells them....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:08:49 AM »
PS: 
I used to work for the Government.  I knew guys that were paid (notice I didn't say "earned") six figure salaries and made the average Wal Mart door greeter look smart. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 11:54:03 AM »
The walmart just down the road has some very gun friendly people in sporting goods that know what they are doing. Guess I'm just very lucky.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 12:04:48 PM »
PSS
I've gotten really, really bad service in sporting goods stores that specialize in hunting and fishing before.  And worse service than that in some gun shops.
JD

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 12:41:59 PM »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »
Sounds to me like a training / experience issue.  You'll find the same thing anywhere.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 07:15:11 PM »
I used to work for the Government.  I knew guys that were paid (notice I didn't say "earned") six figure salaries and made the average Wal Mart door greeter look smart.

I also know a few of those from working for the gov't...people too stupid to answer a simple telephone? We got those.

I'm a big fan of Walmart. Don't like the crowds during the peak shopping season, but I can get a lot of stuff in one place rather than dashing around to other places.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 07:18:30 PM »
new super walmart just opened  i can get there with no traffic lights  all back roads  only bad side is they down sized the gas station outa it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 11:41:54 PM »
I spent 2 years as a walmart associate. I was a photo lab technician at a supercenter back when there were just two walmarts in the area. One was an aging standard walmart (limited or no groceries) and the new fancy supercenter. It was a terrible place to work and the store quickly went from being a flagship location to just another box store. Walls remained unfinished after the grand opening, equipment broke down routinely and was band-aided, the aisles overfilled, the store outgrew itself, service was non-existent, and associate turnover reached 93% before the turnover rate bulletin board was taken down. I quit the job, among other reasons, once I found out my trainees were earning $11/hr against my $7.28/hr as an experienced tech. I put my foot down and demanded equal pay but was left pounding sand. I walked out and said I would never darken their doorway again.

Six years later and in a new financial position I returned to the same store that wronged me. I needed a set of heavy thermals to keep me warm during motorcycle trips and figured walmart was the place to go after midnight. The store had changed entirely. It was clean. Fresh. Refurbished. It did not even seem like the same store I wasted years of my life in. Everything was neatly in place and the general air was much more composed. It felt more like shopping at Kohl's than Walmart. I was impressed.

My best guess is that with two new Supercenters within a 10 mile radius they really had to clean up their act. I am certain their service and checkout lanes are lacking during prime hours but I give them credit for cleaning up their act. I don't think they are an evil organization, but you do have to consider their value as a retailer and the effect you may have on the local economy if you choose to shop there often.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 12:10:17 AM »
The thing about support your local gun shop/grocer/clothing store etc is... if they want to charge higher prices, they need to offer a reason for it. Take gun stores as an example. The ones I knew back in Arizona had limited selections, surly and ignorant clerks, and an overall shoddy air. Why would I pay more for that? You want to compete with Walmart, offer what they can't: personal attention and great service.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 12:22:47 AM »
KPT
I hate walmart

I think you now meet all of the qualifications to be a moderator at THR.ORG...   =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 12:45:27 AM »
You knew that. You should have bought your license the day before.

Lesson learned.

I have to agree with that comment.  You put your opening day in the hands of a third shift retail crew (I'm assuming this was in the am)? I'm surprised they even had an employee that was remotely familiar with the Dept.  Truthfully, I don't recall ever getting a hunting license and tags within a ten minute window. 

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 01:56:23 AM »
I have had some pleasant experiences/conversations with Walmart employees at the gun counter.  Generally it's a nice older man working the counter.  I have learned, however, that gun store employees frequently do not know what they're talking about... so why would a Walmart employee?  Just have to go in knowing what you're looking for.

My one real complaint is that they only sell guns(excepting the Mini-14 that some stores carry) chambered for cartridges that are typically for hunting only.  I don't hunt, and don't plan to.  I don't want anything in .243, or .270, or 7mm, but bring in a nice Savage in .308 and we'll talk.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 05:36:29 AM »
FWIW, you can buy your license online and print it at home in Va.  I'm sure other states allow you to do the same.

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 08:19:24 AM »
. . . Take gun stores as an example. The ones I knew back in Arizona had limited selections, surly and ignorant clerks, and an overall shoddy air. Why would I pay more for that?
Same here in Austin, Not only that, some local gun shops are, to put it mildly, ethically challenged. So why "support" a local shop that views you as a mark to swindle?

As for WalMart . . . just figure that you probably will NOT get much in the way of service. It's hard to motivate people when they have a low-paying McJob with few prospects for advancement. (Or as someone once put it, when you pay peanuts, it's hard to hire anyone but a monkey.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 08:36:43 AM »
FWIW, you can buy your license online and print it at home in Va.  I'm sure other states allow you to do the same.

Chris

Many other states.  I fish in almost all the surrounding states here and buy online.  Usually what happens is I end up forgetting mine at some point and needing a reprint.  One of my worst walmart experiences was in that walmart out I66 near front royal.  The clerk was able to go through my buddies purchase, but then couldn't reprint mine.  I'd gotten reprints before and knew it could be done.  Finally after something like 20 minutes of idiocy I spun the monitor around on the guy so I could see it.  At the top of the screen, in big, bold letters "REPRINT".  I was pretty pissed off.
JD

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: I hate WalMart
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 11:15:09 AM »
Retail stores of all kinds have basically the same problem. The store manager makes a huge difference between a store that is well run and one that becomes a dump.

The problem seems to be that at any one time only about 2/3 of the stores (not just wally world) have a really good manager because they are not that easy to come by.

And WalMarts are bigger stores so getting a good maager is even harder than for a run of the mill place.

bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »
The thing about support your local gun shop/grocer/clothing store etc is... if they want to charge higher prices, they need to offer a reason for it. Take gun stores as an example. The ones I knew back in Arizona had limited selections, surly and ignorant clerks, and an overall shoddy air. Why would I pay more for that? You want to compete with Walmart, offer what they can't: personal attention and great service.

i deal with the local walmart for ammo rather then the local gun store precisely for this reason. the walmart employees may be only halfway competent and need to be told excactly what and where the ammo is that you want ("alright, i want TWO boxes of the .45 ACP FULL METEL JACKETS, no next shelf over, down, no, left of that, the box that says .45 and has FMJ written on the side, no, no, TWO boxes...) but i think thats better then being treated like an imbecile by a bunch of redneck armchair commandos who think women shouldn't be doing something like playing with manly guns.

and if i can't get it at walmart (and to be honest i can't get a lot of what i want at wally world) i drive a hour to fishersville to go to Dominion, where despite higher prices, they treat me like a queen and sell me what i want, rather then what they think i can handle.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 11:55:02 PM »
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac68/justin_mickey/imageswalmart-20bingo.jpg

Modified WalMart-bashing image to a link.  This will not become yet another blatant WalMart bashing thread.  One can have good and bad shopping experiences at any retail estasblishment, lest we forget.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:49:40 AM by Gewehr98 »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 12:37:25 AM »
I hate it too, but I go there weekly... prices can't be beat.  The workers are completely hit or miss.  One guy in the gun section is great... even better service than the local gun stores.. some of the others are dolts. 

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 01:10:10 AM »
If my normal job allowed the time for it and one was close by, I'd try to swing a part time walmart gig at the sporting counter.