Author Topic: Medieval Military Tactics  (Read 15217 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Medieval Military Tactics
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2009, 12:02:04 AM »
I was ranked under 100 in world-8 and had just under 1,000,000 points before I decided that I had enough.

I played a few other worlds just to screw with people. I joined an oddball loser tribe in w6 and started a war with the biggest players in that world. I only had around 5 villages when the biggest player in on the other side of the world decided to noble train 2 of my villages. I had approximately 300 hrs to convert all of my units to catapults and catapult my two villages that were under attack down to 30 or so points before the nobles hit:)  The guy was pissed but gave me mad props for it.

In W10 (IIRC) it was a boring mega clan-family mexican standoff where nobody really attacked eachother unless there was an obvious weakness. Some tool in one of the more powerful clans tried extorting me and I told him to go piss up a rope. He threatened to wipe my 2 villages out (like i cared) and FAN members dumped enormous numbers of troops into my villages. With a little provocation, the idiot attacked me with every unit he had (including defensive units) and I ended up farming his 5 or 6 maxed out villages when it was all over. I made him post a humiliating apology on the TW forums in order for me to stop farming him as his tribal leadership abandoned him. :laugh:

Fun game, but I don't miss  setting my alarm clock for 1:30 AM and then 4:00 AM to send out timed attacks.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2009, 09:19:29 AM »
agricola:

Yes, indeed, and that is an excellent text as well.

ETA: "History of Rome" is an excellent comprehensive history, but it really shines as a reference from founding into the early Republic, this period not being as "sexy" or thoroughly explored as the late Republic and Empire.
I don't think what I have read is anything special, but the book call Roman Warfare and Another called Greece and Rome at War did a pretty good job of giving me an idea of how Rome went from a small city on a hill to ruling all of Italy and more.  I was more interested in that than the later stuff at the time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2009, 01:03:12 PM »
As a semi-related aside, have any of you lot tried Mount and Blade yet?  For those who havent, its a sandbox RPG with no magic, relatively primitive graphics but easily moddable and the best melee combat system in gaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecNHq4464PI

The demo (basically the full game, minus a few features but capped at level 7) is available via Steam.  The multiplayer is, allegedly, in Beta testing now.

Well thanks for the 4 hours of sleep last night.  Thought it looked cheap/cheesey at first, but.... a.... few... hours... later...

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2009, 02:53:29 PM »
LOL Brimic I think I remember that.  Forget the guys name but I was right next to you and he started screwing with me as well.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2009, 06:04:57 PM »
Well thanks for the 4 hours of sleep last night.  Thought it looked cheap/cheesey at first, but.... a.... few... hours... later...
It only gets worse.  Wait til you get around to launching coordinated attacks.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2009, 06:06:39 PM »
It only gets worse.  Wait til you get around to launching coordinated attacks.
and listening to 13 year old bitch

and then getting your months of work snatched from you while you sleep....by a 12 year old
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2009, 07:39:54 PM »
Dang, and here I thought WoW was bad... :P
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.