Author Topic: Need a nice watch  (Read 11974 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Need a nice watch
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 05:52:42 PM »
And rots away in short order soaked in my sweat.

the answer is carbon fiber, i'll post a link later :angel:

edit: something like this linky or you can get a braclet band in carbon fiber, in any case the pins will brake long before the bands  :cool:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:43:31 PM by sanglant »

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »
after much searching i went with a tissot pr-50 for my wife.  seems like it is wearing well, but is gaining about 5 min a week right now.  the company we bought from has free lifetime cleaning and adjusting.  their name is ...around.....here.........somewhere.......
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

crt360

• friend
For entertainment purposes only.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 08:30:45 PM »
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 03:23:28 AM »
Leather is lighter, will tear before your wrist, nonconductive, and grips better.

Sissy.  Wrists heal, watches don't.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 08:28:20 AM »
what is the difference between the "seiko", and the "seiko 5"?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 10:25:51 AM »
Seiko 5 is one of their lines.  Kind of like the Diver series or the "Military" series.

Chris

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »
i don't know about your budget, but here's a link to some cool stuff you can only get in Japan :angel:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 11:31:08 AM »
oooh, I like: http://www.seiyajapan.com/c=db0uqVA5HZwezr7Mg9NjjVLR7/product/S-SCVS013/SEIKO_Spirit_Automatic_Watch_6R15_SCVS013.html

I don't like the price though, but I like the style and function.

Chris

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 12:30:02 PM »
FRED NECK-ROMANCER

Sorry to dig up this thread, but I figured it saves starting a new thread!

I have a shiny new watch!

SEIKO GENTS AUTOMATIC SRP017K1

(not my photos)

Probably the first watch that I have actually bought for myself. I can recall having a couple of hand-me-downs, but I haven't worn a watch for at least a decade, perhaps even longer. For the longest time, I figured that I would just get by with the clock on my mobile phone. However, I am sick of reaching into my pocket and fumbling around like an awkward teenage schoolboy with a hot teacher, in order to find out the time.

It cost me £165.00 (RRP: £ 250.00) which for some watch lovers may be pocket change, and for some may be way too much for a silly old timepiece. For me it was just right. It has an automatic movement, it looks decent enough, it seems to be pretty sturdy, and it will do the job!
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

zahc

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 08:05:01 PM »
Well since you re-bumped the thread, the original watch I started the thread about died some time this January. Luckily we were able to take it back to Kohl's and exchange it for a new one. At this rate I will be through 2 more before the 1-year warranty is over. I took a picture of it too, through a $1 magnifying glass.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:10:24 PM by zahc »
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2010, 09:15:16 PM »
nice, if you want to gamble on a similar watch, look here. [tinfoil] i broke mine, :facepalm: but the box had the coolest stamps. =D

tincat2

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2010, 02:06:01 AM »
i, too, am fascinated w/mechanical watches(aside from being sick of a dead battery every 3mos.-like current generation of lightbulbs, i guess). couple of years ago, i got a seiko black monster automatic diver's watch. i loved it-tough and easily readable. 6 mos. ago it started to hang up just at midnight when the mechanism to change the date would become engaged. now it's good for 24 hrs of timekeeping(if i can help it, i'll never get another watch w/a date function-i don't need it and it obviously overcomplicates a cheap watch). i say cheap even though this thing was $210 at sam' club. reason being that i took it to a watch guy to see if a cleaning or fix was available(including disabling the date operation). he said it just wasn't worth it as something else would come up and that seiko, citizens, and even the newer omegas just weren't up to snuff. i said, well ok, what are you selling? he laughed and said no, that wasn't it, but just take a look. he got out a watch($700) branded to his shop and made in switzerland by a serious watch manufacturer. he opened up my watch and his and displayed the workings of both. i'm doing $20 casios until i can get the bread for a real watch-i'm sorry, the quality difference was too obvious-like a chinese knockoff vs. a colt or s&w. the seiko looks like stamped out parts assembled by nimble fingers on a production line whereas the swiss thing appeared to be a fitted construction of selected components-slightest movement set the winding weight to a smooth rotation, no rough edges on any parts i could see-attention had been paid. so, yeah, i know what it's like not to be able to afford what i want, but a good watch is like a good bed-you spend a lot of time(no pun) w/it, and it's very personal w/you. save your bucks, and do yourself right.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2010, 02:55:28 AM »
Didn't see this thread the first time it came 'round.  I've been sporting a watch that apparently, is really, really difficult to come across:

http://www.marathonwatch.com/site/catalog.php?pid=ww194004

... but without any markings on the face other than H3 and the radioactive symbol, and the "Swiss Made" bit a tad lower, almost resting atop the hash marks.  Fantastically accurate, too.  Only complaint is that the glowy-piece fell out of the hour hand and rattles around inside.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2010, 05:58:50 AM »
Nice watches guys. :D
I like the Roman numerals a lot, looks very stylish. I'm also a big fan of that Marathon, looks like a sensible, no fuss kind of watch. I've been thinking about getting a Nylon or other kind of thick, comfortable strap, as the strap is the only thing that I would change on mine.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »
if not replacing batteries is all your after, casio makes some REALLY nice,(and expensive) watches that are solar. oceanus watches, are the top of the line. Edifice, seems to be a step down. then there are the g-shock and just casio. [popcorn] seiko and citizen also have self recharging watches. =D seiko has a weight like an automatic watch, the citizen is solar, but uses a cap instead of a battery. at least if they haven't changed them since i bought my last watch. [tinfoil]

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2010, 12:25:12 PM »
They're not difficult to find, especially if Uncle Sam issues you one or three over the course of a military career.   ;)

(They were considered XB3 when I got mine...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2010, 01:52:41 PM »
CountyComm usually carries the Marathon watches. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2010, 05:00:47 PM »
After I figured out what it was, I kept an eye on CountyComm for a very long time, wanting to buy another.  They never have them in stock (even the $20,000 SARs with the built-in microwave), yet they always keep the page up, hence the "difficult to come across" bit.  Especially since the MSgt was only asking $20.  =D

Is there anywhere else besides CountyComm (and... FTF sources) that sell them?  ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams