Author Topic: Request copy of your FBI file!  (Read 11511 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Request copy of your FBI file!
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »
Here's the form:
http://foia.fbi.gov/privacy_request.pdf

And the instructions:
http://foia.fbi.gov/privacy_instruc.htm

I thought it was interesting.  I wonder what kind of flags requesting your own record sets off?

I suppose if they didn't have a file on your before, they would probably start one with that request.  :O

Has anyone here requested your own record?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Request copy of your FBI file!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 02:04:21 PM »
I might have to do this, because I know I probably have a file....  :angel:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 02:10:07 PM »
I like the way the put in "State how much you are willing to pay in duplication fees if any are assessed."

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 02:29:56 PM »
I wonder what kind of flags requesting your own record sets off?

The only way to find out is to request it... twice. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 02:39:05 PM »
I thought it was interesting.  I wonder what kind of flags requesting your own record sets off?

I suppose if they didn't have a file on your before, they would probably start one with that request.  :O

Has anyone here requested your own record?

No, but my parents have seen my record.  Or part of it anyways. 

I've been told that if you're serious about the matter, you might have to look into sending such requests to field offices as well.  Not all records are stored in DC, and if you just make the request to the DC office, you will get the DC records.  Don't know if this information is outdated, but I doubt it.

Example http://www.llrx.com/columns/foia43.htm

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:48:37 PM »
I have seen my own record - at least what was in it as of 1975.  Turned it around and pointed out to the 3 Agents where the major errors were and started to pencil in the corrections when they snatched it back and held it like it was their own newborn child.

I'm sure there have been additions to it since then - mostly from stuff I sent them asking for it to be added.  (Yes, I am a smartass and no, I do not know when I am better off.)

I've had parts of my security clearance file read to me as part of a threat to withdraw my clearance.  Also parts of both parents' files at the same meeting.  For some strange reason they never did pull my clearance.  I doubt it was the threat to go public if they did. :angel:

All I know is whenever I buy a gun I need to factor in an additional 15-20 minutes for the OK to come back that it's OK to check my file for convictions.  Thank goodness Virginia runs its own check off of State Police records instead of going to the FBI files.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 12:15:27 AM »
I'd actually like to do this. I wonder how much the copying fees are?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 06:16:58 AM »
I'd actually like to do this. I wonder how much the copying fees are?
Seconded.  I'm worried about writing in too little or too much regarding "how much I'm willing to pay."

Also, as far as field offices are concerned, would it be ones for areas I've lived before, or since turning 18, or what? ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 07:53:20 AM »
I do not recall what the limit is, but the .gov is limited to how much it can charge per page.  The question is - how many pages are in your report?

As for which office - ask for records from any office for any location you have ever been to, driven through, flown over, written about or thought about.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
Seconded.  I'm worried about writing in too little or too much regarding "how much I'm willing to pay."

http://www.llrx.com/columns/foia9.htm

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 08:48:58 AM »
"If you are interested in records pertaining to a particular incident you were involved in, please describe it. "

i wonder how many stupid criminals have been caught by asking about specific events they were involved in.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 09:41:34 AM »
of course requesting your documentation initiates a 37/b record
and a special signifier flagging your loyalty oath record
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 11:25:40 AM »
I do not recall what the limit is, but the .gov is limited to how much it can charge per page.  The question is - how many pages are in your report?

As for which office - ask for records from any office for any location you have ever been to, driven through, flown over, written about or thought about.

stay safe.

skidmark

:O ok so my file is going to weigh 500lbs :angel:

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 11:58:18 AM »
:O ok so my file is going to weigh 500lbs :angel:

Obviously a loafer who has not done a thing for any cause. =D

Get with the program and get some heft to your files.  Yes, plural.  They get confused between Vol II and III, and often mix up Vol VII and VIII. :angel:

stay safe.

skidmark

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 12:20:43 PM »
Obviously a loafer who has not done a thing for any cause. =D

Get with the program and get some heft to your files.  Yes, plural.  They get confused between Vol II and III, and often mix up Vol VII and VIII. :angel:

stay safe.

skidmark

Dayum.   :O

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 12:41:20 PM »

Also, as far as field offices are concerned, would it be ones for areas I've lived before, or since turning 18, or what? ???
In most government record offices, the standard charge for copies is 10 cents per page.  I don't see any reason why copies from the FBI would be worth more.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 02:07:02 PM »
I'd rather see my Stasi and KGB files..... :O :O

:police:

=D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 02:12:27 PM »

=D

Homeland Security fees are as follows:

* duplication at 10 cents per page;
    * clerical search/review at $4.00/15 minutes;
    * professional search/review at $7.00/15 minutes;
    * managerial search/review at $10.25/15 minutes.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 02:30:20 PM »
There you go
Q.  How much will you pay for copies?
A.  ##cents/page 

This way you won't get charged 100 bucks for ten pages nor will they stop before your file is completely copied, which I assume is the concern.
7-11 was a part time job.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 03:03:57 PM »

=D
The Stasi files might be possible soon. I read that they're gluing together all those papers (a couple of rooms worth of them) that got fed through paper shredders just before the wall fell. IIRC, they're scanning them en masse now and letting computers sort it out. Do post what you find when you find it :laugh: =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 04:05:35 PM »
They got back to me quicker than I thought...

=|
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 05:03:37 PM »
:D

Reminds me of Forrest Whitacker's line in "Good Morning Vietnam."

"My life flashed before my eyes, and I wasn't even interested."

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 06:59:08 PM »
I'm paying $62 on Saturday so the state bar can have the joy of viewing my state police and FBI files.  I'd feel a lot better about my $62 if I got to see them too.  Pretty sure there's not much anyone could possibly care enough about to bother putting in a file. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 07:42:06 PM »
I'm paying $62 on Saturday so the state bar can have the joy of viewing my state police and FBI files.  I'd feel a lot better about my $62 if I got to see them too.  Pretty sure there's not much anyone could possibly care enough about to bother putting in a file. 

Can't you immediately subpoena the state bar for those records after they give you the thumbs up?   :police:

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »

"No copy fees - send originals"