Author Topic: I HATE pit-bulls!  (Read 7948 times)

Antibubba

• friend
I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2005, 07:04:23 PM »
Only dog bite I ever got was from a Spitz.  A schizophrenic Spitz.  I don't care how big a smile they have-i don't near them anymore.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

telewinz

• friend
I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2005, 12:36:04 PM »
Quote from: Sergeant Bob
My Jack Russell had a hard rubber ball to play with. One day he was one the rear deck of the house and decided to get a drink from a 3 gallon bucket of water I had there for him.
He went to drink and dropped the ball in the water and it sank to the bottom.
He stood there looking at the ball wondering how he was going to get it out (he's not one to stick his head under water).
Then he started drinking....and drinking.....and drinking. He was trying to drink all the water so he could get the ball without getting his head wet!
He worked at it for about 5 minutes and I figured that was enough fun and I retrieved the ball for him.
He spent about 2 hours after that relieving himself.
Smart dog.
INSANE!

today's email from my sister:

"both pitt dogs were put to sleep at a cost of $140. Well worth it. Marissa (daughter) hates me and has again left. My comment " don't let the door hit you in the ass."
Career Corrections

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2005, 01:00:19 PM »
Quote from: telewinz
"both pitt dogs were put to sleep at a cost of $140. Well worth it. Marissa (daughter) hates me and has again left. My comment " don't let the door hit you in the ass."
Wait, I thought that it was 1 Pitt that the daughter brought?  Is the daughter of majority age, because if she is, and the pitts were her property, the mother didn't have the right to put them down if they didn't present an imminent threat.  She could say "Not in my house".

I have no problems putting down the dogs if they were ill-adjusted, but like alot of users say, a properly adjusted Pitt is a very lovable pet.  Much of the problem comes from people buying them and either not knowing what they're doing, or far too often, deliberately trying to make a 'mean dog'.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2005, 09:20:32 PM »
=telewinz
today's email from my sister:

As best as I can determine from the OP both Pits in question had done nothing wrong or displayed no tendencies yet based on your urgings and some news items about other people's dogs, were executed. Very nice. I'd leave too if I was the daughter, I refuse to live with sub-humans.

I come from very old Irish stock and 350 years of Virginia family. I am anti-social and white. I suppose I should just go off myself before I snap and kill me some Englishmen, Indians, or Yankees. Right?  I went to the SPCA to get another pet a few years back. I tried to adopt a 2 yr old Pit male. He was aggressively slobbering on me and grinding a hole in the concrete with his stump. He sat and came on my command and generally just wanted to play/drown me in spit. He even averted his eyes when I stared him down.  The animal Control folks go by my house while I wait at the SPCA and tell me my fence is inadequate to adopt a "dangerous" breed. "Fence, hell I'll be lucky to get this thing off the couch" I say. No dice. Now that homicidal black LAb that tried to punch a hole in its pen everytime someone looked at it in the eyes? I could have adpoted that thing no questions asked.  Yes, we all have tendencies and genetic predilections. People or dogs, how we are raised is a bit more important than how we look.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2005, 10:53:28 PM »
Disclaimer:  I'm not really a dog person.  Cats better fit my life and personality.  That said, my best canine buddy in the 90s was a friends Pitbull.  Damn thing thought it was a 5 pound lap dog when I was around.
&
As best as I can determine from the OP both Pits in question had done nothing wrong or displayed no tendencies yet based on your urgings and some news items about other people's dogs, were executed. Very nice. I'd leave too if I was the daughter, I refuse to live with sub-humans.
I echo Firethorn and French G's sentiments.  If the animals were not property (and animals ARE property) of your sister, and they had displayed no human aggressive behavior, your "sister" has commited a grievous wrong apon her daughter and her pets.

Were it *MY* parent that had killed my pets without just cause, they could kiss our relationship good-bye.  If I did not take a large, heavy blunt object to 'em first.  Its rare to hear/read of those who fit the classification of Untermenshen; guess today is one of those days.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2005, 12:06:35 AM »
That is pretty insane what she did. Frankly, some people shouldnt be allowed to have pets, nor should they be allowed to have children. It looks like your sister solved both of those problems with one fell swoop.

telewinz

• friend
I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2005, 02:46:50 AM »
I don't have the full story yet.  Something had to happen to cause this response.  Her 20 year old daughter brought the animals with her when she moved in.  I was aware of the "indoor" pit bull, it was unclear to me whose dogs the two "outside" dogs were.  Moving in the house with 3(!) dogs is a bit much (at least by my values), I don't believe my niece informed her mother of this situation BEFORE she moved in.  How many strangers (my sister and husband) do you know would like to be around 3 pit-bulls?  BUT 67% of all dog related human fatalities are caused by pit bulls and they represent only 1% of the dog breeds in the US.  I'm sure their are people with pet rattlesnakes and alligators in this country.  Other than their being cold blooded, I don't think their is much difference between them and pit-bulls.  My sister's response may well have been a very responsible action, don't judge so harshly until ALL the information is reported.  I'll know more tonight.

"a properly adjusted Pitt is a very lovable pet"

How do you tell BEFORE someone is killed or injured?  67%...don't forget most likely met the description of "a properly adjusted Pitt is a very lovable pet" before they killed a human.  Where is your outrage for this INSANE act?
Career Corrections

Firethorn

• friend
I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2005, 04:17:47 AM »
Quote from: telewinz
BUT 67% of all dog related human fatalities are caused by pit bulls and they represent only 1% of the dog breeds in the US.  I'm sure their are people with pet rattlesnakes and alligators in this country.  Other than their being cold blooded, I don't think their is much difference between them and pit-bulls.
There's a whole world of difference between reptiles and dogs.  And on the fatality problem, I think that the majority of the problem is being caused by the wrong people buying pitbulls for the wrong reasons, stimulated by what they hear on the news.

I don't think that a pit should be a familiy's first dog.  

My sister's response may well have been a very responsible action, don't judge so harshly until ALL the information is reported.  I'll know more tonight.
Looking forward to it.

"a properly adjusted Pitt is a very lovable pet"

How do you tell BEFORE someone is killed or injured?  67%...don't forget most likely met the description of "a properly adjusted Pitt is a very lovable pet" before they killed a human.  Where is your outrage for this INSANE act?
How do I know that you're not going to go nuts and kill 57 people using your guns tommorow?

Maybe 'adjusted' is not the right word.  'Socialized' could be better.  Dogs have moods and behaviors.  In my experience, small dogs are the worst behaved of the lot.  People let them get away with too much.  The dogs then proceed to get into trouble much like spoiled rotten kids.  Proper training and enforcment of discipline can prevent this.  Controlled exposure to people and other animals until reactions are known.  For Pete's sake, don't let them run loose.  This holds true for any breed.

From my readings, in 99% of dog attacks there are precurser signs, even if the family doesn't recognize them.  In many cases I also get CYA vibes from the 'great pet' lines.

telewinz

• friend
I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2005, 05:08:00 AM »
"How do I know that you're not going to go nuts and kill 57 people using your guns tomorrow?"

Because the statistics DON'T say 67% of human deaths are done by telewinz.

Sister's reason;

"They were put down because the female was playing with my cat and dragging her across the yard. I'm not sure if she's dead or not. Haven't seen her for 2 days but she did get up and walk away.  Mckayla does the same thing but its a fair fight and the cats like Mackaya.  Last straw for me however the dog was never anything but nice to us. I just don't trust or like pitts. The male went because I was afraid of his looks. Sad situation all the way around."  

How many people will be alive or unharmed due to her responsible actions we will never know.  Those dogs were killed for safety reasons, that steer was killed to fill the buns of your Big Mac.  Where the difference? They are both animals serving MAN's needs.  Medical science and statistics are in agreement, Big Mac's and pit-bulls are not good for you.  However there is no documented evidence of a Big Mac attacking an innocent/guilty human being (or small dog or cat) no matter what the provocation .

"From my readings, in 99% of dog attacks there are precursor signs, even if the family doesn't recognize them. "

My sister READ the signs and acted.  There is no reliable psychological tests for pitt-bulls.  Weep for the steer's and hogs instead, truly they are more innocent.
Career Corrections

Firethorn

• friend
I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2005, 04:33:43 PM »
Okay, the female was put down because of signs, but by your very writing the male was killed for his looks.  Who's "Mckayla"?  A small dog?  

And the Steer thing is a misnomer.  Dogs are pets/working animals.  Steers are food.  On requires a live animal for their purpose, one requires a dead one.  You put down dogs when they've failed their purpose or become a danger.  You put down a steer when it's time to render him into hamburger and steaks.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2006, 04:35:17 AM »
In most cases it is ultimately the dog who suffers for the failings of it's human.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

telewinz

• friend
I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2006, 04:46:22 AM »
I guess the same could be said about pet lions, tigers, and bears.  Do men teach this behavior or was it bred in decades or centuries ago.  I think it's a combination of both.  But in the case of pit bulls where it's bred in, why would anyone want a known guard dog/attack dog as a family pet?  Would buy a toy poodle for an attack dog?  Seems to me that pit bulls are the square peg trying to fit in the round hole.
Career Corrections

Calumus

• friend
I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2006, 05:34:24 AM »
One problem I have with the 67% statistic is that most people really have no idea what a pit bull looks like and will label any muscular dog as such. Take a look at this page and take a wild guess at how many of these dogs would be labeled as pits by the average person on the street
http://www.moloss.com/001/ptxt/breed.html            I have a Cane Corso and people have thought he was everything from a pit, to a boxer, to a lab. He doesn't really look like any of them but there's enough of a resemblence that someone who knows nothing about dogs, which unfortunatly seems to be most people, would probably report him as a pit if he bit them. As for not leaving kids alone with big dogs, you shouldn't leave kids alone with any dogs. My sister has a scar right below her eye from the cute fuzzy shih tzu we grew up with. SHe got too close, so he went after her. Now 20 some odd years later her kid will crawl all over my big scary dog and try to ride him like a pony and the worst that happens is the dog gets up and walks away. Big dogs that are properly trained and socialized are usually much more stable and less likely to snap then little dogs, the problem is if they do there's much more potential for damage which is why we don't leave kids alone with dogs. To the person who said someone was giving their mother a Fila Brasiliaro, Do some VERY serious research on that breed. I love them, but I would never have one because I like to have company. They are extremely loyal and very protective towards their "pack" but they do not like strangers.  The question is this, could your mom restrain a 140 lb dog that was going after someone she didn't want it to go after? If the answer is no, then she shouldn't take the dog. Sorry for the rambling 1st post here, but when it comes to "dangerous" breed dogs getting banned and destroyed because of media sensationalism, and crappy owners who should have bought a guppy instead of a dog of any sort, I get my back up a little and don't really know where to start. Cheers,
SHawn

telewinz

• friend
I HATE pit-bulls!
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2006, 05:54:35 AM »
Scared of Pit Bulls? Youd Better Be!
Brian C. Anderson

The pit bull's unusual breeding history has produced some bizarre behavioral traits, de- scribed by The Economist's science editor in an article published a few years ago, at the peak of a heated British controversy over dangerous dogs that saw the pit bull banned in England. First, the pit bull is quicker to anger than most dogs, probably due to the breed's unusually high level of the neurotransmitter L-tyrosine. Second, pit bulls are frighteningly tenacious; their attacks frequently last for 15 minutes or longer, and nothinghoses, violent blows or kickscan easily stop them. That's because of the third behavioral anomaly: the breed's remarkable insensitivity to pain. Most dogs beaten in a fight will submit the next time they see the victor. Not a defeated pit bull, who will tear into his onetime vanquisher. This, too, has to do with brain chemistry. The body releases endorphins as a natural painkiller. Pit bulls seem extra-sensitive to endorphins and may generate higher levels of the chemical than other dogs. Endorphins are also addictive: "The dogs may be junkies, seeking pain so they can get the endorphin buzz they crave," The Economist suggests.  Pit bulls have been bred specifically to be aggressive. They're descended from the now- extinct old English "bulldogge," a big, tenacious breed used in the brutal early- nineteenth-century sport of bull baiting, in which rowdy spectators watched dogs tear apart an enraged bull. Victorian reformers, concerned about the coarsening effect bull baiting had on its devotees, banned it by the early 1830s, but enterprising bull baiters merely migrated to an equally bloody sport: organized dog fighting.

Most dogs warn you before they attack, growling or barking to tell you how angry they are"so they don't have to fight," ASPCA advisor and animal geneticist Stephen Zawistowski stresses. Not the pit bull, which attacks without warning. Most dogs, too, will bow to signal that they want to frolic. Again, not the pit bull, which may follow an apparently playful bow with a lethal assault. In short the pit bull is a breed apart.  Though breeders, realizing the pit bull was an attractive dog when it wasn't scrapping, bred a less feisty versionthe American Staffordshire terrier ("Pete" of the old Our Gang comedy series is a well-known representative)the pit-bull terrier is first and last a fighting dog. Its breeding history separates it from other tough dogs like Doberman pinschers and rottweilers, which have been bred to guard their masters and their property. Pit bulls are genetically wired to kill other dogs.  Carl Semencic, author of several informative books on guard dogs, and a big pit-bull fan, describes it, the bulldogge owners made a striking discovery: "a cross between the bulldogge and any of the game [i.e., brave and tenacious] and relatively powerful terriers of the day produced a game, powerful, agile, and smaller, more capable opponent in the dog pits." These bull-and-terrier crosses became renowned for fighting prowess and soon were the only dogs used in organized dog fighting in England and later in the United States. To preserve the bull-and-terrier's pugnacious traits, the dogs were bred only to dogs of the same cross. Thus was born the pit-bull terrier, "the most capable fighting dog known to modern man," Semencic enthuses.

Robin Kovary, a New York-based dog breeder and pit-bull fancier, acknowledges, "Once the word got out, 20 years ago or so, to youths who wanted a tough dog to show off with, the breed passed into less than responsible handskids who wanted the dogs to be as aggressive as they could be." Geneticist Zawistowski gives the upshot: "Irresponsible breeders have let the dogs' block against being aggressive to people disappear. They've created a kind of pit bull with what I call `undifferentiated aggression.' " A Milwaukee man learned this the hard way in January, when he tried to break up a fight between his two pit bulls and had one forearm ripped off and the other so badly mauled that doctors later had to amputate it.  Abundant evidence of owner irresponsibility is on display at the Center for Animal Care and Control (CACC), a nonprofit shelter that opened in late 1994 in the heart of Spanish Harlem, to take over New York City animal control from the ASPCA. Pit bulls are its biggest problem. More than 60,000 animals, half of them dogs, entered the shelter last year. According to CACC official Kyle Burkhart, "more than 50 percent of the dogs are pit bulls or pit-bull mixesa huge percentage." That works out to 40 or so pit bulls a day, most of which have to be put down because of their aggressiveness.
Career Corrections