Author Topic: Open carry in Yellowstone, what about Yosemite?  (Read 3784 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Open carry in Yellowstone, what about Yosemite?
« on: November 01, 2009, 05:38:29 PM »

Open carry in Yellowstone, what about Yosemite?
when that new law goes into effect.
;-)

( stupid anti's really shot themselves in the foot, the old law, halted by a court order for environmental impact didn't allow for open carry, you needed a permit for CCW! This new law simply says you can follow State law, CA allows for open carry at your campsite I believe)

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/article.php?art_id=5202
By Cory Hatch, Jackson Hole, Wyo.
October 21, 2009

Officials say a law signed by President Obama in May will allow gun owners to openly carry firearms in Grand Teton and the Wyoming portions of Yellowstone when the law goes into effect in February.

Several National Park Service employees and legal experts who interpreted the legislation say it extends to all, not just those with concealed weapons permits. When U.S. Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., attached a rider to a credit card reform bill earlier this year, almost all reports indicated it applied to concealed weapons only.

While federal officials are trying to figure out the nuances of the law to develop guidance for park rangers, one said there appears to be little question that toting firearms openly will be allowed, depending on the law of the state in which the park is located. Since Wyoming does not require a permit to openly carry weapons, visitors would be able to pack heat in plain view of the public while in Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks.

The interpretation raises the possibility that those who tread the shores of Jenny Lake and the boardwalks of Old Faithful could brandish rifles and sidearms. For conservation groups and rangers, the specter looms of backcountry travelers arming themselves for self-defense and poachers wandering the woods with impunity.

“If, in Wyoming, it says you can walk down the street with a firearm strapped to your waist, it’s legal [in Grand Teton and Yellowstone],” said Phil Selleck, chief of regulations and special park uses for the Park Service. He made his comments in a telephone interview from Washington, D.C., after being asked to explain the new legislation.

“If the state law doesn’t require a permit, then a permit is not required,” Selleck said.

At Grand Teton National Park headquarters in Moose, spokeswoman Jackie Skaggs said it’s a common misconception that the new guns in parks law only applies to concealed weapons. During the Bush administration, gun advocates pushed a repeal of the firearm prohibition in national parks, succeeding only in obtaining an administrative rule allowing some permitted concealed weapons.

That concealed-weapons rule was overturned in court. Coburn’s rider was much more lenient, although it has not been reported as such.

“Everyone assumed that it’s the concealed weapons permit holders that will able allowed to carry,” Skaggs said. “It’s broader than that now.”

Kent Spence, a trial lawyer and partner at the Spence Law Firm, agreed with the interpretation that most park visitors will be allowed to openly carry weapons.

“As long as they don’t have any legal problems pending, there’s no reason why they can’t come into Wyoming and into the park as long as it’s in plain view,” he said.

Spence supports the new law.

“I’ve always felt a little uncomfortable in bear country in a national park not being able to carry a gun while camping,” he said. “I still think that the best line of defense is pepper spray, but if that’s not working, it’s nice to know that you have a bear gun with you.”

Skaggs said Grand Teton law enforcement officers will be ready when the law goes into effect Feb. 22.

“We’re prepared to implement the laws that are passed by Congress and signed into law by the president,” she said. “Our understanding is, the state regulations for an ordinary citizen in the state of Wyoming will apply to national parklands.”

However, Skaggs said some rules do differ in the park compared to the rest of the state.

“They cannot use it or display it in a threatening manner, and they cannot discharge it unless their personal safety is in question,” she said.

Spence said what’s good in Wyoming should be good in Yellowstone.

“I think the law is good because, why should it be any different just because we crossed the boundary into a national park when we’re still in Wyoming?” he said.

Bryan Faehner, associate director for park uses with the National Parks Conservation Association, said he’s concerned.

“We, all along, have felt that the [1983 Reagan administration] regulation that is still in place is working just fine,” he said. “Parks are some of the safest places in the country.

“[With the new law] people could be walking around possibly carrying a rifle,” Faehner said. “That changes the dynamics of the park experience.”

In addition to the potential for an increase in violent crimes in parks, Faehner said he’s worried about what the new gun law means for wildlife.

“It’s going to be very interesting to see how it all plays out in terms of poaching,” he said. “I think there are individuals who could be getting a lot closer to wildlife.”

“Having a firearm gives some people a false sense of security,” Faehner said. “That’s not to say that all firearm owners are like that, but there are going to be some people who push the envelope.”

Louise Lasley, public lands director for the Jackson Hole Conservation Alliance, said her organization also opposes the change.

“The Jackson Hole Conservation Alliance has, since this proposal was first initiated, been concerned for human safety and wildlife protection and how to resolve jurisdictional complexity in places like Yellowstone,” she said.

Coburn attached the rider to a credit card reform bill earlier this year. The law will allow people, including those with concealed weapons permits, to carry weapons in parks provided the state in which the park resides recognizes the permit. The law also applies to the National Wildlife Refuge System.

States such as Massachusetts and New York have stricter gun laws that require permits for the sale and possession of firearms. Park rules in those states would mimic state laws.

With the new law, people in national parks will not be allowed to carry weapons, concealed or otherwise, in federal buildings.

Selleck said the law could be tricky to observe in parks that cross state lines such as Yellowstone – which covers parts of Wyoming, Idaho and Montana – and Death Valley, which is in Nevada and California. Each state might have a different law regarding firearms and those would be reflected in park regulations.

“If you’re in Yellowstone, you have to know whether you’re standing in Wyoming, Idaho or Montana,” he said. “Please, please, please, if you’re going to travel with a firearm, know the laws. Know what you should be doing and what you can’t do. That way you won’t be disappointed.”
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Re: Open carry in Yellowstone, what about Yosemite?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 05:45:27 PM »
Bryan Faehner, associate director for park uses with the National Parks Conservation Association, said he’s concerned.

“We, all along, have felt that the [1983 Reagan administration] regulation that is still in place is working just fine,” he said. “Parks are some of the safest places in the country.

Yeah, real safe, like safe for crazed serial killers! How safe was Carole Sund, 42, her daughter, Juli, 15 Silvina Pelosso and Joie Armstrong?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 06:20:38 PM by gunsmith »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:13:02 PM »
For conservation groups and rangers, the specter looms of backcountry travelers arming themselves for self-defense and poachers wandering the woods with impunity.

Oh, no! Scary looming specters! Run! Hide!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:52:41 PM »

“[With the new law] people could be walking around possibly carrying a rifle,” Faehner said. “That changes the dynamics of the park experience.”

Oh, the dynamics of the park experience. Yeah. That's pretty important compared to liberty.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 10:27:34 PM »
"The dynamics of the park experience ..."

This is more liberal, tree hugger, bed wetter claptrap. I have been to Acadia National Park, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, and several national monument sites that are jurisdictionally identical to national parks. For probably at least 95 percent of visitors to these parks, the "park experience" consists almost exclusively of a stop at the visitors center followed by driving the car (or riding a shuttle bus) from one viewpoint to the next, taking photos, and moving on to the next photo outlook. The likelihood of encountering any John Wayne types sauntering through the parking lot at Sunset Point with a Winchester 94 slung over the shoulder are probably as close to zero as you can get.

All these elitist idiots can think about is how the rule might affect them. They cast it all in terms of the romantic, back country "experience," and how seeing a man with a horrid old GUN! would ruin the experience for them. Most of them have probably never spent a night in the back country and have absolutely no comprehension of what it entails.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 11:55:38 AM »
Yep, the poachers were just waiting for the law to change.....

;/ ;/ ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 07:56:56 PM »
Quote from: from the article
With the new law, people in national parks will not be allowed to carry weapons, concealed or otherwise, in federal buildings.

Um, not per any version of the text I've seen.

There's nothing in the rider that allows the Park Service to bar carry in "Federal buildings".  If they are open to the public, unless they are formally designated "sensitive places" they are wide-open.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."