Author Topic: A Garand in .458 Win Mag?!?!  (Read 10363 times)

tokugawa

• friend
Re: A Garand in .458 Win Mag?!?!
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 11:29:34 AM »
McCann told me the Garand action had been tested to pressure levels far in excess of what a Mauser could withstand.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 12:35:52 PM »
McCann told me the Garand action had been tested to pressure levels far in excess of what a Mauser could withstand.

I don't know enough about rifles to know why and how this is, but it's awesome.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
458 win mag is up to 53,000 c.u.p. so its not slouch for pressure.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »
I always thought it would be interesting to see what a Garand style rifle would end up like if it was built for a smaller, shorter caliber.  I always pictured a small rifle in .223 that used an enbloc clip.  I figure you could make it almost smaller/lighter than a mini-14.  Something like 6.8SPC might be a better choice.  I figure I'll never see it unless the gun banners have their way and ban high cap mags. 

A lever gun in an African caliber sounds sweet.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 03:20:49 PM »
I always thought it would be interesting to see what a Garand style rifle would end up like if it was built for a smaller, shorter caliber.  I always pictured a small rifle in .223 that used an enbloc clip.  I figure you could make it almost smaller/lighter than a mini-14.  Something like 6.8SPC might be a better choice.  I figure I'll never see it unless the gun banners have their way and ban high cap mags. 

John Garand originally chambered the M1 in .276 pederson with a 10-round clip, the Army wanted none of it since they still had billions of .30 left over from WWI.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »
John Garand originally chambered the M1 in .276 pederson with a 10-round clip, the Army wanted none of it since they still had billions of .30 left over from WWI.
Yeah, I've heard that.  That is sort of what gave me the idea.  Just trying to imagine how much shorter and lighter it could be with a smaller cartridge.  

Don't get me wrong, I have a few of them and they are nice rifles.  Maybe what I really would like to see is just something new designed around en bloc clips with modern materials and bullet design.  It is unlikely to happen as there is no real advantage and box magazines are more versitle. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge