Author Topic: parenting advice sought...long  (Read 5751 times)

parenting advice sought...long
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2005, 08:12:44 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
Quote from: Barbara
Be nice to him but don't pay his bills and don't let him guilt you into do it. He's 23, not 13. Time to deal with his own consequences.
Amen.

Encourage him to declare bankruptcy and go into the military, too.
Please don't do these, telewinz. They are both uncivilized and, with all of that debt, he'll be needing both eyes, arms and legs.

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2005, 01:41:44 PM »
"I watched mine blow scholarships to a very good school. His GPA for his second semester was 0.00. I tried to advise him throughout the whole ordeal. He said ,"Yea, yea, yea,,," but in the end he didn't listen"

It has to be caused by the fluoridation of our drinking water.  It certainly isn't caused by a poor example or "bad luck"!

"Encourage him to declare bankruptcy and go into the military, too."

I signed the loans too.  As for joining the military...We both hope so.
Career Corrections

Skeptic

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2005, 01:59:56 PM »
For years I gave my younger brother money to fix his screwups.  I went the tough love way and it was rough there for a while but now things are much better btwn us.  I'm glad I did it and it saves me money as well.

Good luck.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2005, 03:26:08 PM »
Telewinz,

It has to be the water.  7 years in LE and 37 in business dealing with families, I have seen it all.  Good families = bad kid.  Bad families = good kid and every variation that is possible.
Suck it up, provide the roof and meal gig.  That was good advice.  Regarding you and swmbo being on the same page?  Sigh....I wish I could encourage you there.  But women and kids are a whole 'nother plane of existence that dad's don't inhabit.  Best you can hope for is to gently express your game plan, stick to it, and maybe she'll come around.  You ain't gonna make any demands on her in that regard that will be effective.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

telewinz

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2005, 05:41:17 AM »
I had a nice long talk with my son last night on the phone.  I feel much better.  MAYBE he has learned from his repeated mistakes and will take corrective action and change his behavior.  Thanks for all the insight and wisdom.
Career Corrections

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2005, 07:10:18 AM »
Good Luck!

Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TheWalkinDude

Re: parenting advice sought...long
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 03:44:03 PM »
Maybe this is closure for me, or maybe just my ego.  But I'm the son my father wrote about almost 10 years ago. 

My father passed on almost 4 years ago, suicide with  a snub-nose .38.

Long story short, yes I *expletive deleted*ed up in college by spending beyond my means.  That was absolutely due to an entitlement mentality that because all the rich kids could have fun, why couldn't I.

The *expletive deleted*ck-up my father referred to was me losing my ROTC scholarship my senior year because I failed the 2 mile run while sick with the flu.  The "technical" error that my father referred to was that it was my first and only mistake, and even the military has to work with you to resolve the problem before cutting ties.  So yes, I was reinstated, passed my run just fine and served with honor and distinction as an Army officer, even serving in those desert countries so many read about.

And while I love my father, my entire life ( I was the oldest son and first born) was spent trying to live up to his impossible standards.  My father didn't mention how every Sunday after Church (he would force me to go and stay at home and play with his guns) he would apologize for all the cruel things he had said during the week and swore he would never do them again, only to attack me hours later.  My father was so loving, that when I was 7, he took the dog they had got me for my birthday present and walked it into the garage with one of his rifles and told me he was going to shoot my dog.  How hilarious it must have been to listen to your son cry and bang on the door begging his father not to shoot his dog!  Dad thought it was hysterical.  25 years later I'm still trying to figure out the joke.

What my father didn't mention is that his attention was so focused on me that he completely neglected his other Son (who was strangely absent from this post) who is now 30, still lives at home with my mother and has never held a full time job in his life.  Not to mention his 3 DUIs and the fact we have to get special permission for him to be released from jail to attend my father's funeral.  Maybe if dad had been more worried about being a parent and not a friend, he wouldn't have argued with mom every time my brother stole $20 that they couldn't prove which child stole the money.  One time the four of us (Mom, Dad, Sister and I) returned from a family outing to find the lock box they kept their money in pried open while only my brother was home.  Yet that wasn't proof enough that my brother was the culprit.  Just as my father did nothing after my brother started drinking at 13 and one time was absent from school for 45 days straight.

Maybe, just maybe instead of bitching on the internet about me (the one who made Captain, has a bronze star and now works for a Fortune 500) he had focused on my brother's truly deplorable behavior, my brother wouldn't be a 30 year old waste of space.

I don't want you to think I harbor resentment for my father.  I don't.  I love him with all my heart and would do anything if I could bring him back.

Yes, I acknowledge my father helped me.  He did hand me $20 here and there.  But he never paid a dime for my college.  I had the ROTC scholarship with stipend and had loans that my mother cosigned (Dad told me what a disappointment I was when ROTC kicked me out and openly mocked me in front of family and friends alike - that's why our relationship was strained when he wrote this) and that I have entirely paid off on my own.

So to my point, there are always two sides to a story.  I understand my father used this forum to vent like any other human.  Hell, I don't even know if this reply will go through.  I only found it googling my father's user name to see what he may have posted online.  But here's the kicker and why I swear I will be more patient with my son....

I always knew my father and grandfather had a falling out.  But I didn't know the details until my uncle told the story after my father passed.  My grandfather DID pay for my dad to goto college.  My grandfather had served in WW2 and had been a steel worker after the war.  So he understood how important an education can be.  My uncle and aunt went to college (paid for by my grandfather) and did well.  My father on the other hand didn't do well in college.  And while I may have been an idiot who wracked up $20k in debt, I always did what was necessary to get by.  I had a job since I was 16 and my father never had to encourage me, in fact he stopped me from getting a paper route when I was younger because "it didn't pay enough for the work."  But dad failed out of college and chose to enlist in 1972.  Grandfather didn't like that and encouraged Dad to apply himself and get a degree.  Dad was determined to join the Army, and grandfather left him saying "If you want to be a loser all of your life, I won't stop you."  Those same words were said to me.

My point is try to listen and understand the other person's viewpoint.  Maybe you're not the nice guy you think you are.  Maybe your son is a *expletive deleted*ck up.  But pick up the phone and have a conversation.  And remember, words have power and like a bullet, they can't be taken back once they're out.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 04:29:57 PM »
Add this to the list of object lessons in life I've learned from APS.

Thank you for coming back and setting the record straight, and best of luck as you go forward.

Out of curiosity, how did you find this post?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

TheWalkinDude

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 04:45:18 PM »
Add this to the list of object lessons in life I've learned from APS.

Thank you for coming back and setting the record straight, and best of luck as you go forward.

Out of curiosity, how did you find this post?

I knew dad's user name and googled it today to see what came up.  I remember him loving the forum the high road and the firing line (no idea if those are active, what I saw was archived) and reading through his posts I found this one.

Don't worry though, dad taught me well and I inherited all 50+ guns when he passed.  They're in good hands.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »
Your dad sounds like mine. They can seem a bit hard but it's the way they were raised. I fall somewhere in the middle. I hope that the fact your old man loved you came through in his post. And I believe he knew you loved him.Good luck and don't be a stranger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2014, 04:56:28 PM »
Sorry to hear about your father's suicide, that can't be easy. And that your brother is troubled. I'm glad to hear you are doing well these days.

Also, yet more proof that the most interesting threads/posts start with people stumbling across APS on google.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2014, 04:56:45 PM »
Wow....just wow.  I clicked on this thread and was amazed to see it was 9 years old.  So I immediately jumped to the end and saw the update.  

Hope you stick around, sir.  I think you would bring value to this room.  It is not often we are blessed with a follow up to a rather personal reach out by a member.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:56:01 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 05:27:06 PM »
As a fellow Army Officer (alas a bit before your time), and with a somewhat similar experience, I would ask that you stick around.   Your post has brought forth a great deal of feelings that I need some time to organize and put into words. 

I am truly sorry for the loss of your father.  I can tell he loved you greatly.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 07:10:09 PM »
Maybe this is closure for me, or maybe just my ego.  But I'm the son my father wrote about almost 10 years ago. 

My father passed on almost 4 years ago, suicide with  a snub-nose .38.

Long story short, yes I *expletive deleted*ed up in college by spending beyond my means.  That was absolutely due to an entitlement mentality that because all the rich kids could have fun, why couldn't I.

The *expletive deleted* ck-up my father referred to was me losing my ROTC scholarship my senior year because I failed the 2 mile run while sick with the flu.  The "technical" error that my father referred to was that it was my first and only mistake, and even the military has to work with you to resolve the problem before cutting ties.  So yes, I was reinstated, passed my run just fine and served with honor and distinction as an Army officer, even serving in those desert countries so many read about.

And while I love my father, my entire life ( I was the oldest son and first born) was spent trying to live up to his impossible standards.  My father didn't mention how every Sunday after Church (he would force me to go and stay at home and play with his guns) he would apologize for all the cruel things he had said during the week and swore he would never do them again, only to attack me hours later.  My father was so loving, that when I was 7, he took the dog they had got me for my birthday present and walked it into the garage with one of his rifles and told me he was going to shoot my dog.  How hilarious it must have been to listen to your son cry and bang on the door begging his father not to shoot his dog!  Dad thought it was hysterical.  25 years later I'm still trying to figure out the joke.

What my father didn't mention is that his attention was so focused on me that he completely neglected his other Son (who was strangely absent from this post) who is now 30, still lives at home with my mother and has never held a full time job in his life.  Not to mention his 3 DUIs and the fact we have to get special permission for him to be released from jail to attend my father's funeral.  Maybe if dad had been more worried about being a parent and not a friend, he wouldn't have argued with mom every time my brother stole $20 that they couldn't prove which child stole the money.  One time the four of us (Mom, Dad, Sister and I) returned from a family outing to find the lock box they kept their money in pried open while only my brother was home.  Yet that wasn't proof enough that my brother was the culprit.  Just as my father did nothing after my brother started drinking at 13 and one time was absent from school for 45 days straight.

Maybe, just maybe instead of bitching on the internet about me (the one who made Captain, has a bronze star and now works for a Fortune 500) he had focused on my brother's truly deplorable behavior, my brother wouldn't be a 30 year old waste of space.

I don't want you to think I harbor resentment for my father.  I don't.  I love him with all my heart and would do anything if I could bring him back.

Yes, I acknowledge my father helped me.  He did hand me $20 here and there.  But he never paid a dime for my college.  I had the ROTC scholarship with stipend and had loans that my mother cosigned (Dad told me what a disappointment I was when ROTC kicked me out and openly mocked me in front of family and friends alike - that's why our relationship was strained when he wrote this) and that I have entirely paid off on my own.

So to my point, there are always two sides to a story.  I understand my father used this forum to vent like any other human.  Hell, I don't even know if this reply will go through.  I only found it googling my father's user name to see what he may have posted online.  But here's the kicker and why I swear I will be more patient with my son....

I always knew my father and grandfather had a falling out.  But I didn't know the details until my uncle told the story after my father passed.  My grandfather DID pay for my dad to goto college.  My grandfather had served in WW2 and had been a steel worker after the war.  So he understood how important an education can be.  My uncle and aunt went to college (paid for by my grandfather) and did well.  My father on the other hand didn't do well in college.  And while I may have been an idiot who wracked up $20k in debt, I always did what was necessary to get by.  I had a job since I was 16 and my father never had to encourage me, in fact he stopped me from getting a paper route when I was younger because "it didn't pay enough for the work."  But dad failed out of college and chose to enlist in 1972.  Grandfather didn't like that and encouraged Dad to apply himself and get a degree.  Dad was determined to join the Army, and grandfather left him saying "If you want to be a loser all of your life, I won't stop you."  Those same words were said to me.

My point is try to listen and understand the other person's viewpoint.  Maybe you're not the nice guy you think you are.  Maybe your son is a *expletive deleted* ck up.  But pick up the phone and have a conversation.  And remember, words have power and like a bullet, they can't be taken back once they're out.

I'm impressed with this... a lot.

Welcome to the forum. Please do stay.

Also, your username... are you a stephen king fan?

Fitz

Fellow army, 11b. :-D
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2014, 08:26:25 PM »
As everyone else has already said, wow.

Thank you for coming in and telling us your side.

We are glad to have you and we think of ourselves sort of a dysfunctional family.

We have all kinds in here from all walks of life and if you stick around you will find that as any family we have our disagreements but in the end at worse we agree to disagree.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
{edit}

I imagine I disappointed my father, too. He was an Army officer in WW2 -- and so were several other family members in his generation. After I graduated from college I enlisted for OCS -- and then I dropped out of the program because I wasn't mentally prepared to being treated like the lowest common denominator. So I was an enlisted man. I did my term of enlistment, got sent to Vietnam, earned a couple of minor medals, and came home in one piece.

I know how proud my father was of having been an officer. I'm sorry I disappointed him, but that's what is. He died 30+ years ago -- I have no idea if any of the things I've done in life since then would salve his disappointment.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:42:03 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2014, 09:27:22 PM »
The want to is the hardest part

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

birdman

• friend
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2014, 09:42:54 PM »
Error in posting, post deleted.