Author Topic: Fannie Mae going into the house rental business  (Read 1113 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Fannie Mae going into the house rental business
« on: November 07, 2009, 11:29:21 PM »
Oh yeah, that's a good move right there.  ;/ Nothing as easy and trouble free as being a land lord for people getting foreclosed on.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33654593/ns/business-real_estate/

Fannie Mae getting into home rental business

Instead of foreclosure, some homeowners will get option to rent

updated 3:30 p.m. PT, Thurs., Nov . 5, 2009

WASHINGTON - Can't pay the mortgage? You still might be able to stay in your home. Government-controlled mortgage company Fannie Mae is going to give borrowers on the verge of foreclosure the option of renting their homes for a year.

The change announced Thursday could give a temporary break to thousands of homeowners, but critics question whether it will only add to the mushrooming losses at the company, which has received billions in taxpayer money.

The new "Deed for Lease" program will allow homeowners to transfer title to Fannie Mae and sign a one-year lease, with potential month-to-month extensions after that. It also helps save money because the lender does not need to complete the often lengthy and time-consuming foreclosure process.

The program helps "eliminate some of the uncertainty of foreclosure, keeps families and tenants in their homes during a transitional period, and helps to stabilize neighborhoods and communities," Jay Ryan, a Fannie Mae vice president, said in a statement.

It also does less harm to the borrower's credit record.

"It shows that you put your best effort to work out a solution," said Gabe del Rio, director of homeownership at Community HousingWorks of San Diego.

However, Mike Himes, director of homeownership services at NeighborWorks Sacramento, said the industry should push harder to modify loans at lower monthly payments. "The preferred option is allowing people to retain ownership," he said.

Fannie Mae executives said the rental program is designed to help delinquent homeowners who don't qualify for a loan modification, but still want to stay in their homes.

To qualify, homeowners have to live in the home as the primary residence and prove that they can afford the market rent, which will be established by the management company running the program. Rents are based on current market rates.

The plan is expected to be particularly attractive in places like Phoenix or Orange County, Calif., where homeowners are stuck paying large mortgage bills on properties that are now worth far less than they originally paid. At the same time, rents have been falling in those areas. So by renting the same house, former homeowners could wind up paying far less every month.

In Orange County, for example, the average monthly rent for all apartments was about $1,450 in September, down nearly 8 percent from a year earlier, according to research firm MPF Research. In Phoenix, the average renter paid about $720, also down about 8 percent from last year.

Still, the effort is likely to attract a relatively small number of homeowners.

In the first nine months of the year, Fannie Mae took ownership of nearly 2,000 properties through a process known as a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure. That pales in comparison to the 90,000 foreclosed properties the company repossessed in the period.

Deed-in-lieu works like the new program, allowing homeowners to turn over title to Fannie Mae, but rather than renting, the owners simply walk away.

While Fannie Mae executives say the company's motives are community-minded, critics say the company is simply gambling that the properties will eventually sell for a higher price. That's folly, says Peter Schiff, president of Euro Pacific Capital in Darien, Conn., and a longtime bearish investor.

"Taxpayers are now going to own all these houses that (Fannie Mae) should have unloaded," he said. "It's going to cost a fortune."

The announcement came as Fannie Mae asked for an additional $15 billion in government aid after posting another big loss in the third quarter. The mortgage finance company, seized by federal regulators in September 2008, posted a quarterly loss of $19.8 billion, including $883 million in dividends paid to the Treasury Department.

Pessimists like Schiff say the recent stability in the housing market is just temporary, and argue that there is a huge backlog of foreclosed homes that haven't gone on the market. Refusing to sell those homes, they say, only prolongs the problem.

But other experts say that Fannie Mae's new policy could make sense, even if prices don't rebound quickly. The company will get rental income while avoiding costly foreclosure expenses.

It will also help to safeguard the homes, which are less likely to be vandalized when occupied.

"There are a whole lot of costs you avoid," said Thomas Lawler, a former Fannie Mae economist. "You don't necessarily have to believe that home prices a year from now will be higher than today."

Fannie Mae's sibling company, Freddie Mac, launched a similar effort in March. That policy, however, requires the foreclosure to be completed and only allows month-to-month leases. Freddie Mac declined to detail how many borrowers have participated.

The two companies purchase loans from banks and sell them to investors. Together, they own or guarantee almost 31 million home loans worth about $5.5 trillion, about half of all U.S. mortgages. They have been badly hurt by the housing bust and have required $111 billion in federal aid since being seized by government regulators 14 months ago.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Chuck Dye

• friend
Re: Fannie Mae going into the house rental business
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 12:39:41 AM »
By all reports, .gov lost money running Mustang Ranch, the world's most famous brothel.  'Nuff said?

edit:  OK, OK, Fannie Mae is not strictly .gov but I doubt the difference will matter much.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:45:07 AM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 12:42:46 AM »
renting em will b e better than leaving em empty.  i bought a hud foreclosure  it sat empty for over a year incurring costs before they sold it to me   that doesn't count all the other money lost before it was foreclosed and sold for 60 percent of the previous mortgage
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:39:54 AM »
Considering us taxpayers are biting the bullet on much of the real estate losses, why not?  An empty house for a year is a 100% loss for that year to the bank.  There is always a chance that if the owner is able to get another job, etc in that rental time, they might be able to start making payments again, too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 09:25:47 AM »
[rant] 'Scuse me, but how are folks who cannot afford the monthly mortgage going to afford the monthly rent?

Or is Fannie going to be okie-dokie with taking in something as opposed to nothing?  And if you can rent it for $x-y, how does that not reduce the value when you try to sell the place?

And suppose 2 months later a buyer shows up with money, but Fannie's got a tenant with 10 months remaining on the lease on the home they could not afford to buy in the first place?  Does the buyer wait out the 10 months wondering what damage the current tenant may be doing?  Does the current tenant get dumped into the street in spite of the face-saving you've-got-12-months-to-find-living-quarters-you-can-afford lease?

Fannie loses either way, and somehow I'm thinking I will wind up being  the one who will cover the loss no matter which end it occurs on.  And I'm not trying to buy or rent the place!

Would someone please suggest to Congress that the next time they want to stimulate anything they include a tube of lube?

Thank you.  I feel somewhat better for having gotten that out of my system.  You may resume your regular daily activities.  Pay no more attention to the man having a fit. [/rant]

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 11:55:49 AM »
It's hard to tell people they have a "right" to a house if you don't have houses to give them.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 12:06:51 PM »
The program helps "eliminate some of the uncertainty of foreclosure, keeps families and tenants in their homes during a transitional period, and helps to stabilize neighborhoods and communities," Jay Ryan, a Fannie Mae vice president, said in a statement.

It used to be that they would say "We hope it will . . ."
Then they started with the "It will . . ."
Now it's "It does . . ."

This is a new idea, untested, and just announced 3 days ago.  The speaker is talking about is hopes for the project as if it is already successful.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 12:21:51 PM »
Initial program == find a way to keep people in the house in which they currently reside.

Follow on Program#1 == find a way to get people into a better house than the one in which they currently reside.

Follow on Program#2 == find a way to get people into a better house than the one in which the currently reside and gain the benefits of ownership rather than rental.

Follow on Program#3 == find a way to show the privilege class how the downtrodden masses really live.  Move members of privilege class into distressed neighborhoods.

Marxism, pure and simple.

I don't see how the loyal opposition (aka republicans) can put off uttering the dreaded "R" word.  "R" for rollback.  If what is happening is so bad and so unAmerican how can we continue to live with the changes assuming the loyal opposition takes back some power.  The longer the loyal opposition takes to propose a program of rollback the more I have to conclude they don't disagree with the destination, just the speed at which they arrive at the destination.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon