Author Topic: Unemployment tops 10%  (Read 4622 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Unemployment tops 10%
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 03:25:25 PM »
It should feel weirder to live on welfare.

=|

Unemployment Welfare
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 03:41:24 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »
I've never drawn unemployment. Always had a moral objection to the state taking money from productive people and giving it to me just cause. Now that fed.gov is taking so much more of my money I find the idea of getting some of what I've paid back less objectionable. I'd prefer we had nothing of course, but when the thief offers you some of what's been stolen back...  =|
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 03:42:23 PM »
Unemployment ≠ Welfare
There's a lot of effort expended to help people rationalize being on the government dole.  Unemployment is actually insurance, Social Security is actually a trust, and so forth.  None of this is true, of course.  In the end, you're living off of other people's money, money that was taken from them and given to you.  Renaming the program won't change that.  It may help you sleep at night, but only if you don't think very hard about what's happening.

Myself, I prefer to call a spade a spade.  Unemployment = welfare.  

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »
I have never been unwillingly unemployed for more than a week, if I count cheesy temp jobs.

The first thing I would do when seeking new work would be to get a part-time temp job, just to be working, because it was good for my psyche.  Unwillingly not working drives me up a wall.

As such, I have yet to collect unemployment, though I bet some of hte temp jobs I worked provided less.
Trust me, since I know I'll be getting laid off, I'm looking like crazy. Only problem is that I don't have much (read: anything really) in the way of qualifications. Nothing that I have paper on atleast. I've found one or two jobs (nowhere near me though) in basic construction and rising scaffolding and similar that didn't require any qualifications besides eagerness to work hard. I know I can build scaffolding atleast, and I could probably hammer nails without hitting my thumb too much. =)
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 04:07:51 PM »
There's a lot of effort expended to help people rationalize being on the government dole.  Unemployment is actually insurance, Social Security is actually a trust, and so forth.  None of this is true, of course.  In the end, you're living off of other people's money, money that was taken from them and given to you.  Renaming the program won't change that.  It may help you sleep at night, but only if you don't think very hard about what's happening.

Myself, I prefer to call a spade a spade.  Unemployment = welfare.  

Let's see...Money taken from you in some fashion, put into a fund to be paid out at a later date should you become unemployed.  Yup, sounds like welfare...:rolleyes:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2009, 04:14:46 PM »
how is unemployment mone taken from you? isn't it paid by employers?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2009, 04:26:53 PM »
If your employer pays into the fund, then it is money taken indirectly from you inasmuch as that money might have gone to you in salary if it were not being paid into the fund.
If I am not mistaken, in some states there is an unemployment insurance deduction taken directly from an employee's pay check, much like any other tax.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2009, 05:40:19 PM »
Let's see...Money taken from you in some fashion, put into a fund to be paid out at a later date should you become unemployed.  Yup, sounds like welfare...

As an "employer," I've paid thousands of dollars into the unemployment compensation fund, although as the owner of the business I can never collect a dime. So, people who are getting unemployment are taking money from me.

Come on over and mow my lawn. ;)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »
If I am not mistaken, in some states there is an unemployment insurance deduction taken directly from an employee's pay check, much like any other tax.

i've heard that too but never seen it. ussually when i hear it its from someone who is collecting unemployment and is justifying it with "i paid into it for x number of years."
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 05:53:10 PM »
C&SD, I am currently employed, not on unemployment.  This particular stint of employment has lasted almost six years.  Hopefully that will continue.

If you pay into an unemployment insurance fund for 'x' number of years, should you not expect to reap some benefit from it should you become unemployed? What is the point of it all, otherwise?

Again, unemployment insurance does not equal welfare.  Different programs, different funding sources, wholly different intentions behind them.  This "any government payment is welfare" mentality is...dumb.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 05:57:44 PM by RocketMan »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2009, 05:58:13 PM »
There's a lot of effort expended to help people rationalize being on the government dole.  Unemployment is actually insurance, Social Security is actually a trust, and so forth.  None of this is true, of course.  In the end, you're living off of other people's money, money that was taken from them and given to you.  Renaming the program won't change that.  It may help you sleep at night, but only if you don't think very hard about what's happening.

Myself, I prefer to call a spade a spade.  Unemployment = welfare. 

Gawd, I'd hate to hear what he calls my military pension...

I'm not even gonna wait for that.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"