Author Topic: holiday celebrations and ILLNESS  (Read 2050 times)

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

holiday celebrations and ILLNESS
« on: December 28, 2005, 04:10:48 PM »
Riley Mc's thread...
here: http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?id=2176

...got me to thinking.
I haven't been sick in any appreciable way from viral or bacterial things (colds & flu symptoms) for nearly two years, until we returned to Knoxville over the holidays for a few days.

I don't recall any sharing of toothbrushes, drinking glasses, etcetera, and yet here I sit, breathing through my mouth, gasping and staring off into space, my eyes burning, coughing, and generally feeling like crap.

The only for-sure possibilities were the couple of brewpubs my dad and I visited during my stay.  Doorhandles and all.  

I'm pretty diligent with the hand sanitizer, handwashing and such, but it only takes once to let your guard down and you go through the Dayquil/Nyquil haze.

Anybody else have similar experience?
Cough wheeze,
Fig

grampster

• friend
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 06:46:59 PM »
Fig,

You are of age.  Quit wondering about crap like this.  Lay back, take Grampster's Cold Potion in fairly regular and, er, liberal doses, and milk it for all it's worth.  Son, I'm havin' trouble believin' your Momma was that fair maiden that stole my heart when I was in the Peace Corp., to listen to yer whinin'.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 07:31:04 PM »
Yes, paw.

...but shouldn't I look for some cheese to go with my whine? Wink

cough sniff,
Fig

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 08:31:54 PM »
Back in high school, I used to get sick constantly.  About every month, I would catch something.  Strep found its way to me about five times per year.  Hand sanitizers, incessant washing, everything short of MOPP gear wouldn't stop it.

Since I graduated, I've been sick about five times.  Mostly food poisoning (bachelor cooking, you know).  Large groups of unwashed masses tend to make one ill.  Grampster's cold medicine will do wonders for you Smiley

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 04:50:39 AM »
Grampster's cold medicine will do wonders for you Smiley
Care to provide the, urr, receipe ??  Tongue
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

Chris

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 04:51:46 AM »
Ah, there's nothing like the holday season to make us all sick.  A running joke in my family is that my brother-in-law and aI can't get together for a holiday without one of us ending up sick.  Probably just passing the germs around inside a crowded and cooped-up house.

And, grampster, leave the poor sick kid alone.  Who among us isn't a whiney puke when we feel like crap?

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 05:22:58 AM »
Care to provide the, urr, receipe ??
As I recall, it's a spot of burbon, a touch of lemon extract, and a drip of honey.  The exact mixture isn't all that important so long as you make sure that there's plenty of burbon in it.  Everything else is pretty much just for show.

Paddy

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 08:05:54 AM »
I, too, am diligent about handwashing and keeping my hands away from my face, etc., et yada.  It's impossible to figure out where you pick up this stuff.  I think a lot of it is airborne.

I rarely got sick from colds, etc. until I started working in a hospital four years ago.  Then it seemed I got something every couple of months.  After they moved my office out of the hospital, I quit getting sick.

Whatever I've got, it's not the flu.  It's more of a mild case of eye-rolling snot blowing blechs.  I really think the zinc lozenges reduce the intensity.  All you can do is keep drinking fluids and sleep a lot.  

I want to go to the range; my trigger finger is itchy and I haven't been shooting for 3 weeks now.  Due to the weather here (rain) today will be the only opportunity, but I've got to make a dump run first.

EDIT:  I just re-read my post.  It sounds kind of whiney. Will somebody please call a WAAAHHMBULANCE? Tongue

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 08:19:03 AM »
(Pathetic whiny voice)  Please bring me my tea and toast.  (End pathetic whiny voice)
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Chris

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 09:05:31 AM »
Don't forget a blanky and a pillow.  Wink

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 09:17:59 AM »
I fix computers, always touching everyone's keyboards, I always get sick

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Paddy

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 09:41:50 AM »
I fix computers, always touching everyone's keyboards, I always get sick
Yuk!  I hate touching anyone else's keyboard, especially the ones with so much crud on the keys you can't read the letters.   I'd spray them down with Lysol first and wear latex gloves.

DrAmazon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 10:06:29 AM »
The stress of the holidays tends to lower your resistance to illness, as does the extra "holiday spirits" that one tends to consume.  

Gathering family and friends from different cities and areas of the country exposes you to different viruses/bacteria than what your immune system has been effectively fighting off so far in the winter.
Experiment with a chemist!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 10:08:20 AM »
The exact mixture isn't all that important so long as you make sure that there's plenty of burbon in it.
The object is to raise your blood / alcohol level to a point where the alcohol kills all the germs. How do you know when you've reached said point? When you wake up in the morning with a hangover and your cold is gone.

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 12:23:47 PM »
It could be worse.

Back in 1999, I booked a surprise trip to New Orleans for my wife and I over the 2000 New Year's weekend. Five nights in a good hotel at $350 a night.

On Christmas Eve, we visited with my wife's family. Her sister was sick.

On the drive down to NO, my wife got sick. By the time we got there, so was I.

We spent three of those five days in bed, sick as dogs, paying $350.

I wish people who know they are sick would just stay home.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 06:19:21 PM »
I came down with some kind of flu crap the Friday before Christmas.  Aside from a few cases of food poisoning it's the sickest I've been in at least ten years.  The one time of year when I usually get to enjoy eating and drinking too much, being lazy and goofing around and I haven't had a drink, hardly eaten a thing, and could barely move for several days.  I'm still not great, but at least the fever is gone and everything quit hurting.  This week is the first time I ever remember closing the office because everyone was sick.  I guess I can start looking forward to next Christmas.

Quote from: RileyMc
Will somebody please call a WAAAHHMBULANCE? Tongue
lmao Cheesy - dude, I nearly coughed up a lung
For entertainment purposes only.