Author Topic: Digital SLR Questions  (Read 4364 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Digital SLR Questions
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 12:02:44 PM »
ya need sticks to make pictars of fast things
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »
ya need sticks to make pictars of fast things

Monopod?

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 12:44:55 PM »
monopods are great

there are some hiking stick monopods that have pop out legs for making pics too.

One image technique I have been fiddling with is a 2 second exposure where in the subject moves through the frame and the environment is stationary. Handholding proves the tripod is required.

heres another exposure:

hold the camera still long enough and the night becomes day.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 12:49:32 PM »
hold the camera still long enough and the night becomes day.

It also makes moving water look like fog.  I've done that one before.  It takes a hell of an ND filter to accomplish though.

Chris

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 12:52:47 PM »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 01:08:19 PM »
I suppose there's a delay shutter, but if you're going to do long-exposure photography, a corded or even better, a wireles remote would also eliminate all vibration etc.

Once we get our Nikon D60 back from factory service, I want to take open-shutter pics of our kids where they stand still in a black room, and I wave a LED light around them, and draw their name above their head in the air...
I promise not to duck.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 01:20:38 PM »
that's easier to so in photoshop, or paint shop pro [tinfoil] getting kids to stand perfectly still for even 2 min is a difficult task :angel:

now you could do 2 pics and superimpose one over the other, or do a dual exposure if you camera supports it =D

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2009, 01:24:32 PM »
that's easier to so in photoshop, or paint shop pro [tinfoil] getting kids to stand perfectly still for even 2 min is a difficult task :angel:

now you could do 2 pics and superimpose one over the other, or do a dual exposure if you camera supports it =D

The flash captures the kids, the long exposure is for the lightwriting.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2009, 01:37:40 PM »
ah, double exposure in one frame :cool:

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 01:57:07 PM »
A little extra help for those with chronic 'camera shake syndrome'

That's me there. I won't be able to afford a DSLR for another couple years probably, but when I do I'll be getting at least a semi-decent tripod to go with it. Sometimes my hands are pretty steady, but more often than not I have a small tremor that taxes the anti-shake feature of my point-and-shoot, often resulting in none-too-crisp photos. I'm tempted to get a tripod now to use with that camera (Canon Powershot SD870 IS).

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2009, 06:54:55 PM »
that's why i like the pentax/samsung it has the shake thing in the body, works with any lens :angel: (zoom that don't report the focal length you have to tell it what length your using it at [tinfoil]) but, im sure someone else is making them with it by now =D

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2009, 07:20:27 PM »
Anti-shake is good.  It gives you a couple extra stops worth of hold-it-still.

Tripod is more good.  It gives you lots of extra stops worth of hold-it-still.

Heck, even if you had perfectly rock steady hands that never moved a bit, a tripod might still be an improvement.  The mechanisms inside the camera body produce their own shake and vibrations, what with mirrors flopping around and shutters snapping to and fro and and lens elements spinning and whatnot.  A heavy, solid tripod can damp out those inherent motions and keep the camera still despite its own tendency to move.  Hands, being lighter in mass and more loosely coupled to the camera body, can't accomplish the same thing even if they're steady as a surgeon.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 07:47:40 PM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2009, 08:46:02 PM »
yowza!

http://saltdoco.com/movie-info/timelapse-photography.htm
Darn.  That's right cool.

3-D photographs.   =D

I might have to look into doing something like that.