Author Topic: Chimney Flashing  (Read 1720 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Chimney Flashing
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:51:43 PM »
So I'm tearing off/re-roofing, hopefully this weekend.  The only thing that I can't figure out is, yes, chimney flashing.  Apparently, you need 75 different pieces of sheet metal, all custom made for your particular chimney?  Seriously?  Nobody's come up with a better way to do this? 

But apparently, you can have the pieces made for you by a metal shop or something?  Confused. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
Re: Chimney Flashing
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:03:26 PM »
My limited experience with this involved cutting, bending, and a lot of roofing tar.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:05:11 PM »
My limited experience with this involved cutting, bending, and a lot of roofing tar.

Same here plus expanding foam in a can for the big gaps.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 06:08:38 PM »
if you want you can buy the four corner pieces  everything else can be made from step flashing  or roll flashing  lots of web help  and if all else fails this http://www.geocelusa.com/php/oic/product.php?prdb_product_id=8
a bit pricey 50 a gallon but you can get quarts. the trick on roof flashing seems counterintuitive  you leave the bottom edge of flashing open so water can be redirected out. i recently fixed a leak by cutting loose the sealant someone had misapplied

i buy a hundred pieces of step flashing for a roof  more if it has extra features
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 06:24:11 PM »
Don't go cheap if you going to go through the work to re-flash a chimney. Use copper or lead do aluminum.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:14:04 PM »
It seems to me a trench coat and a ladder would be enough to get you started.
7-11 was a part time job.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 08:18:01 PM »
i use the leftover scraps of ice shield under all my flashed areas can't hurt  i run it up on the protrusions and than flash over it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 09:01:07 PM »
Is your chimney brick? If so, it should have the cap flashing (or, more correctly, the counterflashing) built into the joints in the masonry. When re-roofing, you carefully bend those up, but don't remove them. The base flashing is a series of 6" x 10" pieces of metal that get bent in half. Half lays on top of each course of shingle, the other half extends up against the side of the chimney. When the roof is finished, you carefully bend the counterflashing back down over the base flashing. There's nothing special about it. The stuff is in stock at Lowe's and Home Depot in aluminum, but copper or lead-coated copper is much better and will last a lot longer. Look for compatibility; if the counterflashing is aluminum, you can use aluminum for the base flashing. If the counterflashing is copper, use copper. Otherwise you'll have galvanic action (corrosion) that will destroy both the base and counterflashing and leave you with more serious problems.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 09:45:12 PM »
It seems to me a trench coat and a ladder would be enough to get you started.
I don't think he wants his chimney to shatter into little pieces.
Look, tiny text!