Author Topic: Sometimes you wonder about quality control  (Read 2478 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Sometimes you wonder about quality control
« on: November 12, 2009, 07:55:12 PM »
The garage door opener had itself for dinner last night.  The fix was easy but replacement parts would have been right at $100.  For $30 more I got a new (well, reconditioned) Craftsman unit at our local Sears outlet store.  It's a better unit than I had and even came with a remote keypad, something I'd been meaning to get for years. 

FYI - Craftsman is made by Chamberlain.  Also FYI, the reconditioned units come "white box".  They have exactly nothing extra, including instructions (they reference a web site where you can download them).  Lucky I set up a home internet account last month!

Everything went fine until I fired it up to set the limits.  Something was majorly FUBAR'd.  It would run and run until it timed out.  I messed with it for almost two hours, alternating between trying to reset the limiters and working on the interwebz trying to see if I'd messed something up on the install.  No dice.

I finally pulled the cover to see if there was something wierd going on inside.  Turns out there was.  This particular model, a no-frills bare-bones unit, has mechanical limiters.  The main trolly that carries the limiter contacts was laying at the bottom of the unit.  Hmph.  I snapped it into position and everything worked as advertised.

I'm a little miffed that I had to pull the cover, and that it took an extra couple hours I wasn't planning, but it seems to be working just fine.  Total cost, tax and all, $134.83.  They were even nice enough to include batteries in the remotes and the doorpad.  Not exactly free but it beats the crap out of the couple hundred I had running through my head when I discovered the onld unit was dead.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:02:28 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Sometimes you wonder about quality control
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 08:12:17 PM »
The main trolly that carries the limiter contacts was laying at the bottom of the unit.  Hmph.  I snapped it into position and everything worked as advertised.

Yep. You just saved the manufacturer $.35 in labor and $.13 in quality control.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 08:17:15 PM »
I would've gotten another unit If it hadn't been a supreme PITA to take it down and haul it back to the store. Hey, it works and has a warranty.  If it craps out again they have the whole "in-home" thing I can fall back on.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

crt360

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »

Not exactly free but it beats the crap out of the couple hundred I had running through my head when I discovered the onld unit was dead.

Glad to hear it didn't take all of your PS3 dough. :D

The suck of losing an extra couple of hours notwithstanding, you can take pride in saying you properly installed a garage door opener that came without instructions.  That's easily worth a few extra beers.
For entertainment purposes only.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »
It was pretty straightforward, mechanically speaking.  Being a replacement and not a new install I was able to take advantage of existing mounting points and door attachment hardware.  Had the limiter not been an issue it would have taken about two hours. 

Brad
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 08:48:53 PM »
I repaired mine (also a chamberlain rebranded model) a few years ago. It amounted to one of the nylon gears being worn out- I had to take the unit apart and replace a few gears and other assorted parts. Total repair cost me about $30. FWIW, I had to reset the limiters too, which was a minor PITA.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 09:08:59 PM »
I helped a friend install an overhead door on a barn last summer.  That task is now officially on my list of jobs better to hire out.

It was trying to get the tracks straight and parallel and and level and spaced right and anchored solidly that made the job so miserable.  Hassling with the motor was downright pleasant after that.  Never again, personally.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 09:21:14 PM »
I helped a friend install an overhead door on a barn last summer.  That task is now officially on my list of jobs better to hire out.

Ditto.  Helped my dad install two new garage doors a few years ago, one powered and one not.

We were still working out the minor details a few years later.   ;/  We finally got the damn thing to work perfectly about a year ago.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 09:22:47 PM »
That task is now officially on my list of jobs better to hire out.

I personally won't touch those torsion springs, I know they are pretty simple, but do something wrong and there's plenty of stored energy to kill you.

Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 09:29:36 PM »
I personally won't touch those torsion springs, I know they are pretty simple, but do something wrong and there's plenty of stored energy to kill you.

Years ago I had the misfortune to be standing directly under one when it let go.  It was... loud.

Brad
-HankB

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 09:40:19 PM »

Since I had the strongest upper body out of my brother, my dad and I, I got elected to wind those damn things. 

Not fun.

Years ago I had the misfortune to be standing directly under one when it let go.  It was... loud.

Brad

We let one go when we were fixing it the last time.  It wasn't wound correctly the first time (you have to do a certain number of rotations, and I must of miscounted), so we had to do it again. 

Hoping to god you got the chunk of metal you were using to wind it out of the hole before it let loose and flung it into your face was....interesting. 

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 09:41:50 PM »
there is a trick to putting one up  you assemble and mount door sans track  hold it in place with some 16 d nails bent over then you mount wheels and track tighten it all up  remove nails    counter intuitive but they go up in less than an hour with 2 guys.  newer doors have an opener that pulls from bottom of door with 1 cable  much quieter only one cable mounted in the center. only done one of those but was very impressed.... once i figured the darn thing out
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 09:48:50 AM »
One added benefit - this new unit has two light bulbs, and the rating is max 100w.  It's a HUGE improvement over the single 60w bulb in the old unit (which went through bulbs at roughly the same rate spring-breakers go through tequila shots).

Brad
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 10:26:29 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 10:57:35 AM »
It's a HUGE improvement over the single 60w bulb in the old unit (which went through bulbs at roughly the same rate spring-breakers go through tequila shots).

Same problem. I go through at least a bulb a month. Put in CFLs, and one of them ate it within 2 months.

Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 11:41:20 AM »
It's the vibration that kills them.  I rigged up a solution for the old one - a simple spring-clamp worklight and on of the screw in lightbulb-socket-to-wall-plug adapters.  I hung it on a small hook in the ceiling.  Once the bulb was isolated from the opener, No more light bulb problems.

Brad
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 12:11:59 PM »
Mine broke a year or so ago.  It was one of the belt type and the rubber belt just cracked up stripped little rubber pieces everywhere.  I installed a new gear driven type that was actually very easy to install for the most part.  The hard part was the mounts didn't match up to the old one and I had to buy and install some channel bracket pieces with holes to slip mounting bolts in.  At least I didn't have to mess with the doors or the mount on the door.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 12:15:31 PM »
I got lucky in that respect.  The previous unit was mounted on a strip of prepunched j-channel with downlegs bolted to it. All I had to do was move a downleg over one hole and everything matched up perfectly.

Brad
-HankB