Author Topic: NY state will be broke before Christmas  (Read 4874 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
NY state will be broke before Christmas
« on: November 13, 2009, 11:49:27 PM »
I love the headline on this one. Yeah, cause God knows schools and hospitals are the only possible places their budget could be cut.  ;/

http://wcbstv.com/cbs2crew/david.paterson.special.2.1300362.html

Paterson: NYS Will Be Broke Before Christmas
Delivers Scary News To Legislature, Says Only Way To Fix Problem Is To Have Immediate Cuts To Education, Hospitals
Reporting
Marcia Kramer
ALBANY (CBS) ―

Gov. David Paterson told the state Legislature on Nov. 9, 2009, if there aren't immediate cuts made to education and hospitals New York State will be broke before Christmas.

Governor David Paterson called an unusual joint session of the Legislature Monday to implore recalcitrant lawmakers to close the state's huge budget gap before New York runs out of money.

To some lawmakers it's nothing more than a photo op to help Paterson get re-elected. But the governor is dead serious. He said if the Legislature doesn't cut the budget now the state could run out of money by next month.

"We're going to run out of cash in four and a half weeks. We are going to run out of money. Unless we do something about it, (it will) threaten generations," Paterson said.

And so began what is turning out to be a tense tug of war between Gov. Paterson and the Legislature.

The governor says $3.2 billion in cuts must be enacted how -- or else. The cuts range from $500 million in agency spending to over $1 billion in already committed in aid to school districts and hospitals.

"I will mortgage my political career, but I will not mortgage the fate of the State of New York," Paterson said.

But Senate Democrats, with their tenuous 32-30 hold on the upper house, are terrified to make school and hospital cuts because, they said, the cuts could mean increases in local property taxes.

And that could mean suburban Democrats on Long Island, in Westchester and other parts of the state could have trouble getting re-elected next year.

Remember, high property taxes led to the ouster of many suburban Democrats last week, including Westchester County Executive Andy Spano. Nassau County Executive Tom Suozzi could also lose once absentee ballots are counted.

"Personally, I do not favor mid-year school cuts," said State Sen. Pedro Espada, D-Bronx.

"Last year, in the midst of this financial crisis, the Senate and the Assembly together with the governor decided to raise spending by $12 billion," added Sen. Andrew Lanza, R-Staten Island.

"I'd rather present 96 or 97 percent of a check to school districts, to hospitals than to have them call up and say where's my check? And the state says, sorry, we didn't have any money," said Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, D-Manhattan.

The governor has ordered lawmakers into special session Tuesday to close the budget gap. Right now there is no agreement and he could flex his muscles by keeping them here until there is.

Also on the agenda Tuesday are bills to legalize gay marriage, toughen drunk-driving laws, impose a cap on state spending and reform the state's public authorities.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
Going broke: not just for NY & CA anymore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:00:08 AM »
Apparently 10 states are facing the reality that spending more than you make is a bad thing. Wow, who'd have thought!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091111/ap_on_re_us/us_state_budgets

Report: 10 states face looming budget disasters
AP

By JUDY LIN, Associated Press Writer Judy Lin, Associated Press Writer – Wed Nov 11, 5:33 pm ET

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – In Arizona, the budget has grown so gloomy that lawmakers are considering mortgaging Capitol buildings. In Michigan, state officials dealing with the nation's highest unemployment rate are slashing spending on schools and health care. Drastic financial remedies are no longer limited to California, where a historic budget crisis earlier this year grew so bad that state agencies issued IOUs to pay bills.

A study released Wednesday warned that at least nine other big states are also barreling toward economic disaster, raising the likelihood of higher taxes, more government layoffs and deep cuts in services.

The report by the Pew Center on the States found that Arizona, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island and Wisconsin are also at grave risk. Double-digit budget gaps, rising unemployment, high foreclosure rates and built-in budget constraints are the key reasons.

"While California often takes the spotlight, other states are facing hardships just as daunting," said Susan Urahn, managing director of the Washington, D.C.-based center. "Decisions these states make as they try to navigate the recession will play a role in how quickly the entire nation recovers."

The analysis, "Beyond California: States in Fiscal Peril," urged lawmakers and governors in those states to take quick action to head off a wider catastrophe. The 10 states account for more than one-third of the nation's population and economic output, according to the report.

Historically, states have their worst tax revenue year soon after a national recession ends. At the same time, higher joblessness and underemployment mean more people need government-sponsored health care and social safety-net programs, further taxing state services.

California leads the most vulnerable states identified by the report, which describes it as having poor money-management practices. Since February, California has made nearly $60 billion in budget adjustments in the form of cuts to education and social service programs, temporary tax hikes, one-time gimmicks and stimulus spending, according to the Legislative Analyst's Office.

Many of those fixes are not expected to last. The state's temporary tax increases will begin to expire at the end of 2010, while federal stimulus spending will begin to run out a year after that.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger estimates California will run a deficit of $12.4 billion to $14.4 billion when he releases his next spending plan in January. The governor warned that the toughest cuts are ahead.

"I think that we are not out of the woods yet," Schwarzenegger said this week.

At the same time, the Legislature is hamstrung by requirements that budget bills and tax increases be passed with a two-thirds majority, a mandate that the report labeled "a recipe for gridlock."

The Pew report was based on data available as of July 31 and scored all 50 states based on revenue changes, unemployment, foreclosures and budget requirements. It also gave them grades. California and Rhode Island scored worst with D-pluses, then New Jersey and Illinois with C-minuses.

In reviewing why some states are suffering more than others, Pew found that the 10 states tend to rely heavily on one type of industry, have a history of persistent budget shortfalls or face legal constraints making it extra difficult to implement major changes, such as tax increases.

Many require a supermajority vote for passing tax increases or budget bills.

Several state legislatures were unable to enact long-term fixes. Instead, they asked voters or governors to make the call, or used accounting gimmicks to put off the hard choices until later.

For example:

• Arizona lawmakers relied on one-time fixes to balance recent budgets as the state's home foreclosure rate surpassed California's and the nationwide average. Among the many ideas being explored by the state are a plan to mortgage state buildings, then rent the property until the state regains ownership at the end of the contract.

• Michigan, where two of the Detroit Three automakers filed for bankruptcy protection this year, continues to offer tax incentives even as they take a toll on the state's pocketbook, leading to declining tax revenue. According to the Pew study, Michigan offered $6.3 billion more in total tax exemptions, credits and deductions than it actually collected in taxes in 2008.

• Illinois, which has run deficits every year since 2001, is facing an $11.7 billion budget gap for its next fiscal year, beginning in July, according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. Pew's Government Performance Project ranked Illinois behind only California and Rhode Island for its lack of fiscal management on paying medical bills and pension liabilities.

• With Florida facing a shrinking population for the first time since World War II, Republican Gov. Charlie Crist and the GOP-controlled Legislature balanced a $5.9 billion shortfall with cuts, federal stimulus money and tax hikes, including a $1-a-pack tax increase on cigarettes. But the future remains uncertain.

"Florida continues to face the same challenges as last year, including a very austere budgetary environment," said Rep. David Rivera, a Miami Republican who chairs both of the Florida House's two appropriations councils.

___

Associated Press writers Bill Kaczor in Tallahassee, Fla., and Paul Davenport in Phoenix contributed to this report.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: NY state will be broke before Christmas
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 12:06:22 AM »
Get Spitzer to pimp on commission, cashflow problem solved.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 01:42:35 AM »
I love the headline on this one. Yeah, cause God knows schools and hospitals are the only possible places their budget could be cut.  ;/

I always do laugh that they always threaten to cut "essential services" first.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 02:29:18 AM »
I always do laugh that they always threaten to cut "essential services" first.

Perhaps your definition and their definition of "essential" are different? I'm not saying this in their defense either.
Look, tiny text!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Re: Going broke: not just for NY & CA anymore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 02:38:38 AM »
I have a feeling that as long as cutting welfare and similar programs generates more outrage and angry voters than cutting school and police funding that they will continue to cut the useful programs.
Look, tiny text!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 02:57:12 AM »
cuts could mean increases in local property taxes.
???
How on earth does this work? I thought cutting spending meant that you spent less, thus required less money from the taxpayers?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 03:13:48 AM »
???
How on earth does this work? I thought cutting spending meant that you spent less, thus required less money from the taxpayers?

Maybe they were referring to cuts at the state level?
Look, tiny text!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 09:31:28 AM »
Merged threads.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 09:52:14 AM »
At the same time, higher joblessness and underemployment mean more people need government-sponsored health care and social safety-net programs, further taxing state services.

Yep. Give people incentive NOT to take a lower paying job or accept lower wages. That's SURE to get unemployment down.

Michigan, where two of the Detroit Three automakers filed for bankruptcy protection this year, continues to offer tax incentives even as they take a toll on the state's pocketbook, leading to declining tax revenue. According to the Pew study, Michigan offered $6.3 billion more in total tax exemptions, credits and deductions than it actually collected in taxes in 2008.

HERE'S a winner. It is suggested that in Michigan, who has such a business unfriendly environment that business flee from it, the REAL problem is all the tax credits/exemptions/deductions.

The answer to their problems was outlined 233 years ago in a little known book: "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations". I realize it's rather obscure, but maybe they ought to read it. Specifically:

Little else is requisite to carry a state to the highest degree of opulence from the lowest barbarism but peace, easy taxes, and a tolerable administration of justice: all the rest being brought about by the natural course of things.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 12:26:02 PM »
I have a feeling that as long as cutting welfare and similar programs generates more outrage and angry voters than cutting school and police funding that they will continue to cut the useful programs.

So-called "welfare" always generates votes for representatives of the Democratic (sic) party.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 02:22:29 PM »
So-called "welfare" always generates votes for representatives of the Democratic (sic) party.
Which is why those taking welfare should never, ever be permitted to vote.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 02:46:47 PM »
Which is why those taking welfare should never, ever be permitted to vote.

And with the current economy, how many months out of work would it take for many members of this board to be receiving some sort of public assistance?

My local paper had an interview in today's edition with Jim Senegal, the founder of Costco. He had an interesting comment:

Q: Why didn't Costco accept food stamps until recently?

A: In years gone by, we've said Costco customers don't use food stamps. We have a tendency to have upscale customers. During these tough economic times, it became apparent there were a lot of people who would ordinarily have been considered affluent were having trouble.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2010271409_sinegal15.html

These days, I would be cautious in using too broad a brush to criticize those on public assistance. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 03:30:24 PM »
Dayum.

Balog is our little ray of sunshine over the last several days, ain't he?  :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 04:32:58 PM »
Dayum.

Balog is our little ray of sunshine over the last several days, ain't he?  :O

I do what I can.

Sorry, that came out way more snarky than I intended. I've been getting steadily more pessimistic about the future lately, and I suppose that's spilled into my story to post choice.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:44:21 PM by Balog »

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 04:41:02 PM »
And with the current economy, how many months out of work would it take for many members of this board to be receiving some sort of public assistance?

My local paper had an interview in today's edition with Jim Senegal, the founder of Costco. He had an interesting comment:

Q: Why didn't Costco accept food stamps until recently?

A: In years gone by, we've said Costco customers don't use food stamps. We have a tendency to have upscale customers. During these tough economic times, it became apparent there were a lot of people who would ordinarily have been considered affluent were having trouble.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2010271409_sinegal15.html

These days, I would be cautious in using too broad a brush to criticize those on public assistance. 
I wouldn't include social security, various government pensions, or unemployment. I also wouldn't include other government assistance given in conjunction with those. However, I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment for those living off government handouts. Such people shouldn't be given opportunity to vote themselves a bigger handout.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 04:43:19 PM »
Or we could just stop giving the handouts instead of trying to disenfranchise people...

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 04:46:19 PM »
Or we could just stop giving the handouts instead of trying to disenfranchise people...
And as long as large blocks of voters receive those handouts you see that happening....when exactly?

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 05:18:08 PM »
OK, lupinus, then when do you see welfare-based disenfranchisement happening? 

Just sayin'.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 08:29:57 PM »
I wouldn't include social security, various government pensions, or unemployment. I also wouldn't include other government assistance given in conjunction with those. However, I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment for those living off government handouts. Such people shouldn't be given opportunity to vote themselves a bigger handout.

I don't know. I have been reading about solidly middle and upper middle class people whose unemployment benefits have run out and are now on welfare.  One of the newsmagazines had a good story about this happening amongst auto workers, engineers and managers in Michigan.  It would be quite a shock going from a six-figure income to welfare.  As the article said, there is not a lot of call for a 55 year old engineer who has worked in the auto industry for 30 years. 

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2009, 08:38:53 PM »
I don't know. I have been reading about solidly middle and upper middle class people whose unemployment benefits have run out and are now on welfare.  One of the newsmagazines had a good story about this happening amongst auto workers, engineers and managers in Michigan.  It would be quite a shock going from a six-figure income to welfare.  As the article said, there is not a lot of call for a 55 year old engineer who has worked in the auto industry for 30 years. 
You do make a good point, and I honestly don't have the kind of information needed to make a decision on exactly where cutoffs and limitations should be. But there should be a line somewhere.

The 55 year old engineer that worked for 30 years isn't in the same league as the baby mamma that pops out another future leach every few years to keep getting her check or the alcoholic that gets disability benefits. The former is one thing, the latter? Hell no they shouldn't vote for the easiest check.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2009, 08:47:12 PM »
you think they'd vote differently?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »
Maybe, maybe not. Maybe they would have the foresight to vote for those who at least have the sense to work to better the economy and give them a chance at a new job. If nothing else, people who have worked their whole lives and got a run of bad luck earned the right to vote for whatever screwed up politician they feel the need to vote for.

The people who have never worked a day in their lives and have done nothing but leached off society have not IMO.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 09:08:02 PM »
So you just want to disenfranchise the people you feel would vote a way you don't approve of?

Also, if you've had 30 years of solid employment (especially in the ridiculously overpaid auto industry) and haven't saved enough to weather being unemployed, you deserve to be on the street. The whole "making your bed then laying in it" thing.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 09:14:44 PM »

Also, if you've had 30 years of solid employment (especially in the ridiculously overpaid auto industry) and haven't saved enough to weather being unemployed, you deserve to be on the street. The whole "making your bed then laying in it" thing.

If you feel that way, I suspect you feel the same way about people who have not saved for their retirement.  But then again, there are legions of people who scrimped and saved and contributed to their 401(k) only to see it evaporate in various 'market corrections'.