Author Topic: Question for law enforcement, why don't they seem to care?  (Read 4766 times)

Steak

Question for law enforcement, why don't they seem to care?
« on: November 17, 2009, 05:02:55 AM »
Hello folks!

Livid about this situation, so need to vent, and find out from any of our good members whom happen to be on the force.

Last night, checking my banking info, one of my accounts had 4 $200 charges made within a couple minutes of each other. I called the bank, they told me the spot the charges were being made (just down the street). I walked in the store, my bank still on the phone, and another charge was coming in as I stood their. I was being robbed right in front of me, and could do nothing about it. Called the local PD, as I talked to the store manager. She said she could not do anything, only the police can. Local PD said they cannot come out. I asked why, they said it was because it was non-emergency. (i didn't call 911, since nobody's life was in danger, i should have called 911, in hindsight). The watch commander actually told me, they cannot respond to a call like this because it could possibly be an ambush.  There I am, in a retail store, during business hours, while a cashier is running my card over and over, and the store won't help, and the police refuse to help. I am unarmed, standing in a clothing store, and the police won't come because by their WORDS, they are AFRAID!!!!!

The watch commander basically said, please sir, don't do anything stupid. Go home, and file a report in the morning. Against my better judgement, I followed his advice. In the morning, after explaining the whole situation, they filed a report, where i got to talk to a 'community service representative'. Most of the information , she said she did not need. When I tried to give her my account info, she said that isnt important. Excuse me? You are going to investigate fraudulent activity on an account but dont need to know the account number? How else does one investigate a crime? Thats like saying, I'm investigating a rape, but I dont need to know who the victim is or where it happened. WTF???

Sorry to the good cops out there, but I think our police force has become completely inept.

I could have solved this crime in 2 minutes, on the spot. Instead, it will cost taxpayers thousands of dollars probably, and they will never bust the criminal, who will end up doing it again and again. I am in escrow on a house, and will now take several dings to my credit, which might mean losing the home. It will take months to repair the damage. The police? They say it will be processed, and in a few days they will assign a detective. By that time the case is cold, and their person moves on to the next victim. No wonder identity theft and credit card fraud is so rampant, its because the police could not care less. They do not investigate, they do not prosecute.

This is just my experience, who knows if victims of assault or rape are treated the same, they probably are.

I could have solved this crime in 2 minutes flat. I was at the location, saw the criminal in front of me, in process of robbing me, and I was powerless. Cops said they would only respond to arrest me if I tried to detain her. Who does our police work for????? Why do we have them?

Seems to me, our police is a very large, very expensive group of people who facilitate criminals, rather than busting them.

Everything is a long process, cept for my parking ticket for being parked in the street sweeping section at 8:05 when its not parking from 8-11. Yes, 5 minute response for parking in front of your own house, 5 day response for grand larceny. Police forces need to be severely reformed, or just gotten rid of....

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Question for law enforcement, why don't they seem to care?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:02:19 AM »
story not passing sniff test
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 06:29:54 AM »
Nope, sure isn't.  I know from experience the stores take this sort of thing very seriously, as do the financial institutions.  The police?  Maybe, maybe not, but between the store and bank, it should have been stopped and rectified that night (and would have in my experience).

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 06:34:13 AM »
myh bank woulda stopped the charges while i was on the phone and gotten the cops on the way. i can't imagine not taking a picture of the person using card and hollering   hey  thats my card! someone call the cops! wouldn't have generated some kinda action in the store
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 07:37:58 AM »
Then again, sometimes you run into gross ineptitude.  The apologies come later.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:31:30 AM »
Sounds fishy . . . how did the clerk get the writer's card without him knowing?

And . . . he was standing there, watching his stolen card run over and over . . . and he just watched?

Cops claimed to be afraid of an ambush, so they wouldn't come out?

Too many things just don't add up.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:41:17 AM »
Don't know if the story is true or not, but if it were ME, and the police or store wouldn't help me, I'd call a bunch of my very muscular guy friends and this person that was stealing from me would have a helluva welcoming party when he walked out of the store.   =D

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 08:54:13 AM »
I could totally believe it.

I had someone break into my car, and leave their cell phone in my car.  Police refused to investigate because "they didn't have the resources to investigate petty crimes today."
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 10:04:13 AM »
I actually got a call from Nordstroms because my CC was being used by someone to purchase a $1000 gift card.  They thought it was fishy because the same purchaser used several other cards to do the same, so they stopped the transactions and contacted the owners.  I then immediately called my CC issuer and alerted them.  They canceled the card immediately and reversed the charges (Nordstrom's block hadn't taken effect quite yet). 

I didn't involve the cops since it was online and they have neither the manpower nor expertise to pursue such things, but the other two parties took care of things rapidly.

Chris

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 10:17:43 AM »
I believe it. I've had a few cases where someone used a stolen credit card to buy something from my website. When the card holder disputed the charge, I found out the card was stolen.

I had the addresses  to which the merchandise was shipped. I called the police in those towns, and they told me to call my local police. I called my local police, they sent an officer out, and she said it was a civil matter. Credit card fraud is a civil matter?

I had the details of the fraud, and the address where the perpetrators had the products sent. Seems like sending an officer to investigate would have been every bit as justified as if someone had stolen a stereo from the local Best Buy.

I at least had one sheriff's detective who was cooperative, and went to the home where the property was received. He arrested the woman. She was involved in an online credit card scam that spanned months.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 10:53:08 AM »
I could see the cops not coming out, but not "because they are afraid of ambush." And even if they were, they'd never tell anyone that.

Stores and CC issuers take fraud very, very seriously. Their conduct is what I find most unbelievable. Well, and the dude just standing there watching and doing nothing.  ;/
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 11:59:30 AM »
Maybe the best "cure" for lazy or inept officers is to write a letter to the local paper - and name names.

Remember a while back the YouTube posting of the cop who told a guy he could fabricate any charge and make it stick? Ultimately, he got fired. Maybe we need more of that. (But I still find parts of the original story to be fishy.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 05:52:24 PM »
I believe it. The cops used to come out and take a report, but they don't even do that any more. A drunk woman ran a red light and wrecked my car last year. The 911 operator told me, quite literally, that unless I am visibly bleeding they will not come out. Minneapolis police don't even take stolen car reports any more. Another time a drunk in a stolen car wrecked it in front of my house damaging both of my cars. They did come out to get the car towed, but didn't bother even looking at it. I'm pretty sure no investigation took place.

I am fairly certain at this point that police are essentially not interested in anything short of murder.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »
I believe it. The cops used to come out and take a report, but they don't even do that any more. A drunk woman ran a red light and wrecked my car last year. The 911 operator told me, quite literally, that unless I am visibly bleeding they will not come out. Minneapolis police don't even take stolen car reports any more. Another time a drunk in a stolen car wrecked it in front of my house damaging both of my cars. They did come out to get the car towed, but didn't bother even looking at it. I'm pretty sure no investigation took place.

I am fairly certain at this point that police are essentially not interested in anything short of murder.
Sounds like all politics to me.  They will someday learn that petty crimes lead to bigger crimes.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 06:03:10 PM »
i only skimmed the OP. sorry, but a poster with only 2 post and a long involved story titled in such a provocative manner is fishy in of itself...

i did read much of the responding posts.

question: is there issues with jurisdiction regarding CC fraud?

second, sounds like the immediate issues with the card holder potentially getting screwed is easier dealt with by the store/cc company.

as for the criminals... well, in addition to jurisdiction issues, i can see how in some areas cops are overwhelmed with violent crimes and maybe really don't have the manpower/resourses to catch these people. nor do they have the incentive if the victum is already taken care of by the store/CC.

just some thoughts...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 07:40:18 PM »
Incompetence abounds.  The story is entirely plausible.  Only real mistake is that he tried to get the police to stop it, rather than having the CC company freeze the account.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 07:43:10 PM »
Incompetence abounds.  The story is entirely plausible.  Only real mistake is that he tried to get the police to stop it, rather than having the CC company freeze the account.

I could believe the police part. That's pretty standard. But a store manager ignoring claims of fraud as it's happening, CC company not wanting his account info when he called in to report fraud etc are raising the BS flag.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 07:50:51 PM »
I believe it was the police that didn't care to take his account information, not the CC company.

I'm not sure what part of this sounds unreasonable.  Man finds out that someone is using his card illegally.  He finds out the place it's happening is right down the street, so he goes there and tells 'em to stop it.  Probably rants at them a bit, causes a bit of a stir.  Incompetent manager says "Durr, uh, I dunno what to do, call the po po."  So he calls the police.  Police don't care.  Now he's pissed at the police and wants to vent about 'em.

Until we have any actual evidence one way or the other, probably best not to pass judgment.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 11:13:35 PM »
I could have solved this crime in 2 minutes flat. I was at the location, saw the criminal in front of me, in process of robbing me, and I was powerless.

Must be the Irish in me...but one of us (perhaps both) would not of walked out of that store.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 11:33:02 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 11:41:35 PM »
Pretty sure the multiple purchases would have locked the card down. Happened to me twice, once my card company shut my card down without asking because large jewelry purchases in the Bahamas did not fit my credit use profile. Ya think? So there I was, stuck in the Bahamas and unable to use my primary source of travel funds. ;/

Just a few months ago I apparently got several cash advances at Aziz's Quick Stop(No BS actual name) in some texas cowtown. Card company locked my card and called me immediately at my VIRGINIA location. Very happy. Probably got my card swiped by a restaurant server.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 12:30:59 AM »
Ya think? So there I was, stuck in the Bahamas and unable to use my primary source of travel funds.

So there I was, stuck in the Caribbean explaining to the nice lady from the card company that we did in fact spend the much at the bar. :O

jim 
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 06:53:01 AM »
I at least had one sheriff's detective who was cooperative, and went to the home where the property was received. He arrested the woman. She was involved in an online credit card scam that spanned months.

That's the thing about these 'petty' credit card fraud cases.  Sure, the individual incident may be petty.  But the police would arrest and charge somebody for stealing a $50 stereo, or even a $2 pack of gum*.  And credit card fraudsters don't do individual incidents.  They're serial offenders.

At this point, generally by the time you catch them, they've stolen hundreds of thousands of dollars.  They cost the stores money, they cost the credit card companies money, they cost the consumer money. 

*Recently read an incident where the police charged a 5 year old with 'receiving stolen property' because the thief gave him some of a stolen pack.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 10:35:26 AM »

That seems to be the case in our county.  Everything is a "civil matter" until one or other of the parties finally escalates it to a criminal matter :(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

taurusowner

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 12:21:31 PM »
Everything is a "civil matter" until one or other of the parties finally escalates it to a criminal matter

Uhh, yeah?  How exactly something that is not a criminal matter be a criminal matter?  The implication of your statement doesn't compute.