Author Topic: Growing grass from seed  (Read 2282 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Growing grass from seed
« on: November 23, 2009, 11:31:15 AM »
My yard is dirt.

1 week ago, I spread some new topsoil over a 30x20 section of my yard, seeded with perennial rye grass, raked the seed into the topsoil, watered lightly and frequently.  This weekend I repeated with an adjoining 30x20 section.

The first section is just now starting to show seedlings.  Yay!  I have grass.

Now:  I know I'm a long ways away from it, but at what point do I have to mow it?  I would guess that the root system will be fragile for a while, and it might grow a bit taller than I would like until the root system stabilizes.

Am I wrong?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Growing grass from seed
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:32:31 AM »
In Iowa when I plant new grass I wait until it is 4" tall then I mow it with a really sharp mower blade. Never had any issues doing that.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »
Here in the wet part of the Pacific NW, the turf people recommended waiting to make the first cut until the grass is 3-4 inches high, to allow for the root structure to establish.  The first few cuts should take no more than an inch off the top. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 05:17:27 PM »
Perennial rye grass - the 2nd level of "builder's turf."

Ask your county extension agent what grows best in your area.  Ask them if they will do a Ph test at this time of year.

After literally tons of lime, I broadcast seeded Hairy Winter Vetch.  It not only took in South Stafford/Fredericksburg, VA clay, it broke up the stuff and I had drainage for the first time in years.

After I sold the place the new owner called in a sodder (in both senses of the word) who ripped up my grass and replaced it with Rebel somethin-or-other.  All the stuff washed out and at least 3" of [alleged] topsoil was lost.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »

'splayn plz.

What is builder's turf?  How many levels are there?  How many XP does it take to get to level 3?  Do I get charisma buffs to my stats at level 5? =D

Srsly, tell me of builder's turf.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 05:40:09 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »
Really depends on the type of grass.  Different germination rates and such.
I'd say mow it before it exceeds 4".

Two things come to mind -
1.Have a sharp (Sharp) mower blade.
2.Don't bother collecting the clippings.
3.Run the mower high - That is cut the grass to a tall height.  Remove no more than 1/3 of the total height.
7-11 was a part time job.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »

Ask your county extension agent what grows best in your area.  Ask them if they will do a Ph test at this time of year.

After literally tons of lime, I broadcast seeded Hairy Winter Vetch.  It not only took in South Stafford/Fredericksburg, VA clay, it broke up the stuff and I had drainage for the first time in years.

After I sold the place the new owner called in a sodder (in both senses of the word) who ripped up my grass and replaced it with Rebel somethin-or-other.  All the stuff washed out and at least 3" of [alleged] topsoil was lost.

stay safe.

skidmark

the acidity in south stafford dirt is amazing  the extension agent told me 3 tons of lime
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 09:15:02 PM »
So you're in AZ, right? Where the heat and sunlight gets pretty intense during the summer?

If it's anything like the "winter rye" that some people overseed with here in Central Texas, "perennial" or not, it will likely die out when the weather gets hot. Hope you have a backup plan.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 09:18:51 PM »
So you're in AZ, right? Where the heat and sunlight gets pretty intense during the summer?

If it's anything like the "winter rye" that some people overseed with here in Central Texas, "perennial" or not, it will likely die out when the weather gets hot. Hope you have a backup plan.

Yep.

Bermuda it tough to get to grow from seed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 11:39:01 PM »
Wait until it buds, cut it, hang it in your garage then sell it to your neighbors....

Oh, wait....you mean...grass grass...never mind.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 09:03:57 AM »
'splayn plz.

What is builder's turf?  How many levels are there?  How many XP does it take to get to level 3?  Do I get charisma buffs to my stats at level 5? =D

Srsly, tell me of builder's turf.

Builder's turf is the crap the builder throws down so that when you look at the place it has a lush, deep, green lawn.  Which dies in about 60 days.  Level 1 is annual rye - sprouts like crazy and looks wonderful in 7 days or so.  Great for patching bald spots just before the big outdoor wedding, or for hiding dog-pee dead zones until after the house closes.

Unless you have had a soil analysis and prepped with truckloads of chemicals and conditioners, any of the fescuesand perennial ryes are level 2 builder's turf.  Throw it down, watch the birds eat most of it, and see the rest wash downhill in spite of the straw or special mats you put on top of the seeds.

The reason those old geezers who putter about all day working on their lawns is because it takes that much effort to maintain most home meadows because they are based on a grass type that is not properly suited to the soil.  Laying locally grown turf may give you better results than seed if the underlayment is properly prepped, as you have a good root system already in place.

Go look at your local golf courses and find out what they are growing and what fertilizers they are using, as well as their schedules for areating and dethatching.

Personally, if I ever had to do a lawn again I'd pay someone to plug zoisa every 3 inches.  Two tears tops to fill in, and it reaches max height and density by then too.  Green if you put water on it, a nice kakhi if you don't.  Can stay dormant for years and needs mowing maybe once a year if you are actually watering it instead of waiting for the rain.  (Just watch out for neighbors who complain that it is encroaching on their lawns - or who are cutting plugs from yours.)

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.