Author Topic: Selling a Someone Else's Soul  (Read 4431 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Selling a Someone Else's Soul
« on: November 25, 2009, 08:13:56 PM »
So:  Everyone is familiar with the Faustian bargain.  Sell your soul to the forces of darkness or to the Devil himself in exchange for some sort of transitory earthly reward.

There's a TV show called "Reaper" however, where the parents of the main character sell their unborn child's soul to old splitfoot.

Metaphysically, how is that possible?

I see two major flaws with that notion, right off the bat.  Firstly, God created man with free will.  It's kinda hard to be bound by a contract when you don't even exist to consider it prior to its inception.  Although, one could argue that my unborn children's unborn children are bound by our national debt and make for an example of an earthly rebuttal.  Except for the fact that free choice exists for those children 30 years from now and they do have options to escape the bondage of that debt.

Secondly, even if man wasn't created with free will and "original sin" gives the Devil the power to lay claim to a soul by proxy of another's word... Christ died for our sins and freed us of that original sin.

Can anyone come up with a good metaphysical argument that allows someone to sell someone else's soul?

(I find the whole concept of it disturbing... not just on the metaphysical realm but also consternating for this lifetime.  After all, if a soul can be sold by proxy, then it seems that a natural right can also be eliminated or transferred.)
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Selling a Someone Else's Soul
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 08:19:58 PM »
Secondly, even if man wasn't created with free will and "original sin" gives the Devil the power to lay claim to a soul by proxy of another's word... Christ died for our sins and freed us of that original sin.

Non evacuata sit crux.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 08:51:24 PM »
I think you are mixing the reality of God and the Devil with the journalistic license of fiction.  I sleep soundly at night knowing God has overcome the Devil.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 08:54:25 PM »
Sometimes they have stuff on TV what ain't real. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 09:01:33 PM »
In before the lock.   >:D

That, and you've apparently never heard of the booming secondary market for souls.  Thanks to the bad economy, you can pick one up pretty cheap--I've seen 'em go for as low as a couple bucks, so long as you don't ask whose soul it is.  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 09:33:11 PM »

I know that! .... stupid fistful ;/

Imagine you're sitting around, brainstorming for TV show premises.  Or, at least brain-drizzling.  You came up with this idea.  Don't you sit there and at least try to come up with a plausible justification for why your show is the way it is?

That's why Batman has arch-villians, after all.  Or Back to the Future's flux capacitor needed 1.21 gigawatts.

And those aren't real either.  But they still have some sort of justifying logic behind them.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 09:34:14 PM »

True taht.

And sometimes evil folks are also stupid folks.

And sometimes folks in Hollywierd are stupid and arrogant to think no one will question their premise.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 09:38:05 PM »
I thought "Reaper" was already cancelled?

Anyway, in one of the early shows, the "victim" confronted the devil with just that argument - HE never agreed to any bargain.

So the devil told him if he DIDN'T work for him per the terms of the agreement his parents made, well then the devil would just take the guy's mother - immediately.

So in a way, the devil was blackmailing the guy.

If there are inconsistencies . . . repeat after me: "It's Just a TV program. It's Just a TV program."
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
I know that! .... stupid fistful ;/

Imagine you're sitting around, brainstorming for TV show premises.  Or, at least brain-drizzling.  You came up with this idea.  Don't you sit there and at least try to come up with a plausible justification for why your show is the way it is?

That's why Batman has arch-villians, after all.  Or Back to the Future's flux capacitor needed 1.21 gigawatts.

And those aren't real either.  But they still have some sort of justifying logic behind them.

OK, fine.  But why are you assuming that the writers adhere to Christian doctrine?  I mean, yeah, I get a little annoyed when screenwriters get Christianity all wrong, sure.  But I don't assume that, for instance, just because Buffy fought demons that the demons were Biblical demons, and that the show meant them to follow Biblical ideas about angelology.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 09:47:29 PM »

Are you sure about that?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
pay more attention =D he was the devils son, his parents were demons [tinfoil] [popcorn] they just told him they sold his soul, wonder if he'll figure it out ???

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 11:12:03 PM »
I've never seen a TV show or movie that came close to accurately portraying doctrinal concepts. Constantine was terrible, but an overall cool movie. And it had a great song in there.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 11:48:31 PM »
It's kinda hard to be bound by a contract when you don't even exist to consider it prior to its inception. 

"As in Adam, all die"

Quite possible, here and now, not to mention the ancient near eastern covenental system that forms the matrix for the Bible.  Are you (if a US citizen) bound by the US Constitution?  Most would say yes.  (Lysander Spooner argued no, on the grounds you state.  (That's what I recollect was the argument -- it's been a long time since I read it.))

Christ died for our sins and freed us of that original sin.

All and everyone, in exactly the same way, without exception or difference?  Careful -- that has implications.

Metaphysically, how is that possible?

This is TeeVee.  It doesn't have to make sense, as long as it keeps you watching the ads.

I've seen 'em go for as low as a couple bucks, so long as you don't ask whose soul it is.  grin

Ebay!  I dunno, do they allow that on Craigslist?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 11:00:14 AM »
I have a friend who used to trade Magic cards for kids' souls at the local comic shop. He still has the "contracts", and has been known to pull one out when someone talks about "you'd trade your soul for..."

Think it even got him out of trouble a time or two in the military...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

myrockfight

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 11:06:26 AM »
Think it even got him out of trouble a time or two in the military...

You have got to be kidding. How in the world is that? LOL

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
Simple: someone over himm saying something about "this is gonna cost your soul"... ;)
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 12:25:03 PM »
Imagine you're sitting around, brainstorming for TV show premises.

Well, if I'm sitting around brainstorming TV show premises, then I'm prolly a Hollywierd Lib'ral who is already comfortable with the idea of killing a child before it's born, so selling the child's soul is not a great stretch.

Having said that, Reaper is a show that I really enjoy!  I like their take on Home Depot/Lowes/Whatever, Sock makes me laugh, and this dude makes one HELL of a devil:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.