Author Topic: Miniature Monsters Attack America  (Read 3229 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Miniature Monsters Attack America
« on: November 27, 2009, 03:47:10 PM »
Miniature Monsters Attack America

Jeff Winkler from the December 2009 issue

In July the Department of Homeland Security acted swiftly to protect America’s cities from Martians, giant dinosaurs, and Lovecraftian horrors from another dimension. The DHS intercepted the first shipment of a strategy guide for the role-playing game Monsterpocalypse—in which players attempt to conquer the planet using “collectible miniatures portraying the most fearsome giant monsters on Earth!”—when it arrived in the United States.

“There was a lot of head shaking,” says William Shick, a marketer at the guide’s publisher, Privateer Press. “We thought it was ridiculous.” Shick had a hard time convincing his loyal customers that the episode wasn’t an elaborate, publicity-seeking hoax. The company remains unsure why the government flagged the guide and held up its release for a week, though Shick speculates that “certain words like base caused red flags.”

This isn’t the first time gamers have had trouble with the law. In a 1990 raid on the offices of Steve Jackson Games, Secret Service agents seized copies of a guide to GURPS Cyberpunk, claiming the game’s rules were a “handbook of computer crime.”

Jeff Winkler (winkler.freelance@gmail.com) is a copy editor at the Northwest Arkansas Times.

http://reason.com/archives/2009/11/27/miniature-monsters-attack-amer

Micro Sez: Someone should tell DHS about Games Workshop. Wouldn't want no Tyranids munching our precious bodily flu- national monuments. :police:
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Miniature Monsters Attack America
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 03:49:29 PM »
Oh man, I'd forgotten about the raid on SJG. Oh the lulz. Did any feds get in trouble for that bit of asininity?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 04:41:03 PM »
Wow, I used to play Car Wars as a kid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Wars

Never knew what happened to the game.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 05:13:56 PM »
 :O

Those figurines look 3-dimentional, which is a whole extra dimension beyond the Moonites. No wonder DHS needed to get involved.

;/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 08:29:55 PM »
:O

Those figurines look 3-dimentional, which is a whole extra dimension beyond the Moonites. No wonder DHS needed to get involved.

;/

"I hope they can see this, because I'm doing it as hard as I can."

:laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 09:29:14 PM »
The comments are a hoot, if you are familiar with several nerdified preoccupations.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 10:08:58 PM »
I assume this is a pun on the Modern Warfare 2 airport scene?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 12:35:54 AM »
This isn’t the first time gamers have had trouble with the law. In a 1990 raid on the offices of Steve Jackson Games, Secret Service agents seized copies of a guide to GURPS Cyberpunk, claiming the game’s rules were a “handbook of computer crime.”

I'm not sure how a handbook of computer crime is illegal.  I have an entire bookshelf of them. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 12:43:28 AM »
I'm not sure how a handbook of computer crime is illegal.  I have an entire bookshelf of them. 

Call the feds!!!   :police:  :laugh:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.