Author Topic: Brutal Artistry: Stanislaw Szukalski  (Read 7375 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Brutal Artistry: Stanislaw Szukalski
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:25:57 PM »
I have a limited appreciation for art that does not allow for much of what has been called "art" in hte last century to be considered much more than drek.

Even so, I found this article fascinating and the art of Szukalski the artistic equivalent of a billy club over the head.

I'll excerpt a bit and suggest the rest is worth your time, art aficionado or not.

http://www.takimag.com/article/mad_man/
(http://szukalski.com/)

The sharply contrasting careers of two Slavic-American artists who both died in 1987, the droll commercial illustrator Andy Warhol and the titanic sculptor Stanislaw Szukalski, illustrate much about how culture has changed over the last century.

For over 40 years, Warhol (1928-1987) has been famously famous for saying, “In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes.” Warhol’s own renown, however, is undying. Last week, for example, saw the opening of a musical with the onomatopoeic title POP! about Warhol’s shooting by an irate feminist in 1968.

In contrast, Szukalski (1893-1987) spent much of his life on the edge of poverty. Yet, Szukalski actually was suddenly famous in his native Poland in the late 1930s. Then, much of his life’s work was blown to smithereens during WWII.

The great screenwriter Ben Hecht, who had met him in Chicago in 1914, wrote of him in the 1950s:

His works are vanished. He is without public, without critics, and so complete is the world’s ignorance of him that he may as well have never existed.

Yet, Szukalski toiled on, endlessly creating statues and drawings, a living legend to a handful of admirers, including Leonardo DiCaprio in 1980s Burbank.

Szukalski’s politics weren’t helpful. In Chicago in 1914, to which his blacksmith father had brought him a half decade earlier, he was training 20 Polish boys in the manual of arms, “So when the time comes they will be ready to go back and fight for the freedom of Poland.” Polish nationalism, however, was not exactly the most career-promoting ideological obsession for a 20th-century artist. To the right is his plate, Ahuman and Human commemorating the Soviet massacre of the young leaders of Poland at Katyn in 1940, which shows an ape in a Soviet Red Army uniform shooting a Pole in the back of the head.

As C. van Carter pointed out to me, Szukalski’s fan Jim Woodring wrote in “The Neglected Genius of Stanislav Szukalski”:

Among his most strongly held (and extensively documented) theories was the notion that a race of malevolent Yeti have been interbreeding with humans since time out of mind, and that the hybrid offspring are bringing about the end of civilization. As proof of this, he pointed to the Russians.

Szukalsi dared the world that his stupendous talent would make it forgive his megalomania, obstreperousness, obsession with vicious apes, general craziness, and exquisitely bad manners, the way it had forgiven Beethoven, Wagner, and so many other artistic heroes.

It didn’t.

Warhol, in contrast, invented a more consumer-friendly role for the artist in a culture tiring of greatness. Andy pointed out, “Art is what you can get away with.”

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

grampster

• friend
Re: Brutal Artistry: Stanislaw Szukalski
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:09:27 PM »
Mr. Warhol's comment about the definition of art is epic.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:02:14 AM »
That last picture resonates with me. Really illustrates how I feel about government as a whole.
Hi.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 08:10:09 AM »
I have a limited appreciation for art reasonable amount of taste and good sense, that does not allow for much of what has been called "art" in hte last century to be considered much more than drek.

Fixed that for you.  Interesting pictures in the OP.  Not necessarily great art.  
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 08:17:46 AM »
great art has tentacles
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 12:11:03 PM »
The hand sculpture at the top of the page is definitely an eye catcher.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 12:50:45 PM »
His trio of man apes reminds me of Kruschev. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 07:26:45 PM »

Anti-communism artist shunned by the media?  Hard to imagine.

Impressive art.  Not quite my normal taste, but beautiful in their own way.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 07:29:33 PM »
Among his most strongly held (and extensively documented) theories was the notion that a race of malevolent Yeti have been interbreeding with humans since time out of mind, and that the hybrid offspring are bringing about the end of civilization. As proof of this, he pointed to the Russians.

:laugh:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 07:41:55 PM »

I fail to see any gaps in his logic.  What other logical explanation for the Soviet Union is there? 

=D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 07:53:24 PM »
Rev, living in the proud home state of Bigfoot I'm outraged on behalf of all mystical and semi-mystical giant humanoid apes. You take that back right now.  :P
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 07:58:33 PM »

I fail to see any gaps in his logic.  What other logical explanation for the Soviet Union is there? 

=D

The thinking was pre Soviet union in Europe I think. The peasants literally were slaves right up through the revolution (and then everybody became slaves) and more enlightened Europeans literally thought of Russians as barbarous savages through WW2 at least (maybe through 2009?) Consider that this was 200 years after Ben Franklin was bemoaning the plight of Irish peasants, and Russian peasants were still in the same boat. I know that in Weimar Germany there were German Jews who blamed Russian Jew immigres for their plight.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 11:32:55 AM »
While I do not question the artistic value of the Katyn depiction, nor do I excuse the massacre at Katyn, I think balance and full disclosure require putting the event in the proper historical perspective. Those "leaders" were the same ruling class that was largely responsible for the reprehensible internal and foreign policies of the Polish government between the two world wars:

1) They invaded the Soviet Union while taking advantage of the turmoils of the Civil War.
2) They stole huge chunks of German lands taking advantage of folly and madness of the victors of WW1.
3) They treated native Germans as second-class citizens, denying any autonomy or self-government in areas where Germans were the crushing majority
4) They took advantage of the dissolution of Czechoslovakia and invaded and stole lands that they had no legitimate claim to.
5) They outright rejected any form of conciliation with the German state, on demands that any objective observer would consider reasonable, e.g. the return of Danzig, which was 90% German, and a land connection between Germany proper and East Prussia.
6) They essentially triggered the outbreak of WW2 by obstinate, selfish, aggressive, myopic, childish behavior.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 12:50:07 PM »
Looking through this guy's works, I have to wonder if H.R. Geiger was aware of him...
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 12:57:11 PM »
1) They invaded the Soviet Union while taking advantage of the turmoils of the Civil War.

The Soviet Union was the one to start it, invading the Baltic states in 1918, which later triggered the Russo-Polish conflict.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 01:11:27 PM »
Looking through this guy's works, I have to wonder if H.R. Geiger was aware of him...

+1.  My first gut reaction, too.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 01:25:35 PM »
The Soviet Union was the one to start it, invading the Baltic states in 1918, which later triggered the Russo-Polish conflict.

But, they did not invade Poland itself, as far as I know.

The bottom line is the Polish State between the two world wars was a brutal, ravenous, oppressive troublemaker, which by modern standards would have been called "a rogue state". The guys shot at Katyn were largely the ruling elite that was responsible for the rogue policies I described previously. While it is debatable if they all deserved to be shot, the historic irony is undeniable.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 08:29:35 PM »
But, they did not invade Poland itself, as far as I know.

That indeed came later.

They also sponsored a variety of sabotage/special operations in Poland inself after the formal end of the war, by the means of men like Orlovsky. And an ethnic cleansing of Soviet Poles.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner