Author Topic: Ever had payroll problems while in the service?  (Read 4419 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Ever had payroll problems while in the service?
« on: December 05, 2009, 11:49:38 PM »
I never had any, but I remember people in my unit constantly going to S-1 (personnel office) for payroll issues.  It looks like the military is putting together a shiny new bit of software to replace over a hundred fragmented legacy systems they've been using for the various branches of service. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIMHRS

Apparently, it's already "deployed" for the Army, with the other branches to follow in the next few years.  Naturally, the Corps is last.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Ever had payroll problems while in the service?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:54:55 PM »
Yeah, we like to let the other branches work out all the bugs for us. You dogfaces make great guinea pigs...  :P
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:56:57 PM »
You dogfaces make great guinea pigs...  :P

Cuz we're so much tougher than you, princess.   :-*

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 11:58:10 PM »
If you can't be smart, you gotta be tough...  ;)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:03:07 AM »
I have no comeback for that, so I shall simply overwhelm you with emoticons.  

>:D [popcorn] :'( [tinfoil] :-* :police: :-X :laugh: :angel: :mad: :P :cool: ??? :lol: ;/ :O =D =( =| ;) ;) =) >:D :police: :laugh: :cool: ??? ;/ :angel: :police: [tinfoil] [popcorn] [popcorn] :mad: :cool: ??? =D =( ;) >:D [popcorn] :'( [tinfoil] :-* :police: :-X :laugh: :angel: :mad: :P :cool: ??? :lol: ;/ :O =D =( =| ;) ;) =) >:D :police: :laugh: :cool: ??? ;/ :angel: :police: [tinfoil] [popcorn] [popcorn] :mad: :cool: ??? =D =( ;) >:D [popcorn] :'( [tinfoil] :-* :police: :-X :laugh: :angel: :mad: :P :cool: ??? :lol: ;/ :O =D =( =| ;) ;) =) >:D :police: :laugh: :cool: ??? ;/ :angel: :police: [tinfoil] [popcorn] [popcorn] :mad: :cool: ??? =D =( ;) >:D [popcorn] :'( [tinfoil] :-* :police: :-X :laugh: :angel: :mad: :P :cool: ??? :lol: ;/ :O =D =( =| ;) ;) =) >:D :police: :laugh: :cool: ??? ;/ :angel: :police: [tinfoil] [popcorn] [popcorn] :mad: :cool: ??? =D =( ;) >:D [popcorn] :'( [tinfoil] :-* :police: :-X :laugh: :angel: :mad: :P :cool: ??? :lol: ;/ :O =D =( =| ;) ;) =) >:D :police: :laugh: :cool: ??? ;/ :angel: :police: [tinfoil] [popcorn] [popcorn] :mad: :cool: ??? =D =( ;) >:D [popcorn] :'( [tinfoil] :-* :police: :-X :laugh: :angel: :mad: :P :cool: ??? :lol: ;/ :O =D =( =| ;) ;) =) >:D :police: :laugh: :cool: ??? ;/ :angel: :police: [tinfoil] [popcorn] [popcorn] :mad: :cool: ??? =D =( ;) >:D [popcorn] :'( [tinfoil] :-* :police: :-X :laugh: :angel: :mad: :P :cool: ??? :lol: ;/ :O =D =( =| ;) ;) =) >:D :police: :laugh: :cool: ??? ;/ :angel: :police: [tinfoil] [popcorn] [popcorn] :mad: :cool: ??? =D =( ;) >:D [popcorn] :'( [tinfoil] :-* :police: :-X :laugh: :angel: :mad: :P :cool: ??? :lol: ;/ :O =D =( =| ;) ;) =) >:D :police: :laugh: :cool: ??? ;/ :angel: :police: [tinfoil] [popcorn] [popcorn] :mad: :cool: ??? =D =( ;)

Take that.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 12:24:27 AM »
I never had any, but I remember people in my unit constantly going to S-1 (personnel office) for payroll issues.  It looks like the military is putting together a shiny new bit of software to replace over a hundred fragmented legacy systems they've been using for the various branches of service. 

Everyone I knew, including myself, had pay issues at some point.

I worked at the place that ran the DFAS legacy systems.  Think decades of legacy COBOL and FORTRAN apps on a mix of hardware platforms, jury rigged into an odd assortment of physical devices.  ::shudder::
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 12:29:48 AM »
COBOL and FORTRAN.  Man, that takes me back.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 03:52:46 PM »
As far as I know, DIMHRS isn't up and running in the Army yet.  Someone asked SMA Preston about that at a Town Hall we had back in May and his answer was basically "Yeah, we're still working on that."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 05:00:21 PM »
OK, thanks.  My only sources are an information systems textbook that's a little outdated, and the Wiki article. 

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 06:30:57 PM »
yes.  Every time I got promoted.  Once, I started recieving combat pay for no apparant reason.  It took them 6 months to figure it out, and they took it back in one chunk, instead of me getting to pay it back incrementally (which is how it was paid out  ;/), when I started collecting BAQ, too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 06:36:05 PM »
How many of you were ever paid in cash?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 06:39:30 PM »

Exiting boot camp I was.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

taurusowner

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »
Yes.  Right now in fact.  They are currently 3.5 months overdue in giving my the second half of my signing bonus.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 06:43:45 PM »
Exiting boot camp I was.

Same here, payroll advance for post advanced training leave.  Coincidentally, this is the only time I saw a loaded M16 outside of a range, a DI was packing one along with the cash box for security.

I recall in the 90's the payroll system was pretty rough, I was in S1 as a driver for a stint.  I forget what it was called, but it was a super ruggedized 386 based system the size of a steamer trunk.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 06:49:20 PM »
I was paid in cash on board ship for several years until maybe 1979 - ish? Then we started getting checks. I was just wondering if they still pay in cash anywhere.

About a year after I got out I got a check for a couple hundred that they had supposedly shorted me. I felt like it was, "Hey, remember us? We're still here! You can come back and get more of this money you know." 

:laugh:

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 07:16:33 PM »

A lot of times I didn't even make the trek to the mess decks to get the cash. I just let it stay on the books until we were getting ready to pull in somewhere. I started getting paid by check about the end of 1975 when I went to San Diego for shore duty.

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 07:22:34 PM »
Off and on for the 12 years I was in including they majorly screwed up things when I got out and kept my direct deposit going for a month after I was discharged. ever try to tell the government they screwed up and you want to give back money?

Edited for typo =D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:54:55 PM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 07:30:37 PM »
ever try to tell the government they screwed up and you want to give back money?
I imagine they'd want to do it the .gov way and take 3 years to figure it out and then demand repayment from you.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 07:33:20 PM »
Off and on for the 112 years I was in including they majorly screwed up things when I got out and kept my direct deposit going for a month after I was discharged. ever try to tell the government they screwed up and you want to give back money?

Man, you must have worked through so many different system changes that it's no wonder it was messed up!

I didn't know they let you stay in past 40 years.   =D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 07:55:21 PM »
I guess it only felt like 112 years.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 10:33:34 PM »
Yes, similar to JJ.  They like to take it back all at once. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 10:42:22 PM »
Same here, payroll advance for post advanced training leave.  Coincidentally, this is the only time I saw a loaded M16 outside of a range, a DI was packing one along with the cash box for security.

Buddy of mine did that.  He was finance.  Only guy I knew that flew internationally with a loaded weapon.  He was moving pallets of cash.  He always had a full load of ammo, not one mag.  If I wasn't an honest man, I'd be rich and drinking chai in Switzerland these days.  It was weird to see guys essentially making well below minimum wage (if you count the avg # of hours worked divided by our merger pay) guarding at times millions in mixed currency. 

I have a story involving Iraq and cash that I only tell in person.    =D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 12:52:29 AM »
I never had any problems, but a bunch of guys had issues when they went to an electronic LES a few years ago.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 05:57:03 AM »
I used to service the A/C in the main Fleet bank vault in Hartford, the one where they loaded the armor cars. There's nothing like a few pallets of cash hanging around.  =D

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 03:39:36 PM »
If I wasn't an honest man, I'd be rich and drinking chai in Switzerland these days.

Or maybe not.

An Army captain from Oregon has pleaded guilty to charges that he stole nearly $700,000 from the government while in Iraq.

Capt. Michael Dung Nguyen pleaded guilty to theft and money laundering charges on Monday. Sentencing is March 1. He is stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34316041/ns/local_news-spokane_wa/

bob