Author Topic: iphone Apps worth getting?  (Read 5676 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
iphone Apps worth getting?
« on: December 08, 2009, 09:44:10 PM »
I've got an iphone coming. 3G 8gb version. Anyone got any worthwhile apps to recommend?
Are there any shooting sports related apps out there? Shot timers, ballistic calcs?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: iphone Apps worth getting?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:47:21 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:58:40 PM »
The Constitution.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Somewhere on here or TFL or THR, there's a thread about several apps for shooters (at least one which is used by the military) that do ballistics calculations.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:03:37 AM »
I've heard of a flashlight app that makes the screen glow bright white.  I don't rock an iPhone, but it sure sounds handy. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 01:47:15 AM »
I've heard of a flashlight app that makes the screen glow bright white.  I don't rock an iPhone, but it sure sounds handy. 

My wife has that app on her iPod Touch. It works well for what it is, a white screen. Due to her work schedule she often gets home in the middle of the night and uses it as a flashlight to navigate the bedroom clutter. I'll often awaken to a white rectangle floating through the room.  :P

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 06:59:27 AM »
Surefire has a shot timer. It works well enough.

There are several ballistic programs out there.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 07:35:25 PM »
My wife has that app on her iPod Touch. It works well for what it is, a white screen. Due to her work schedule she often gets home in the middle of the night and uses it as a flashlight to navigate the bedroom clutter. I'll often awaken to a white rectangle floating through the room.  :P

I just have a regular cell phone, but I have navigated by cell phone display about a million times. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 07:37:40 PM »
Back in the day ManedWolf posted some apps that would measure your car's performance: speed, 1/4 times, lateral G's in handling etc etc. Those seem cool. I wonder if you could use one as an altimeter? Probably not...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 09:10:57 PM »
Surefire has a shot timer. It works well enough.

Surefire also has a flashlight program.  It works pretty well.   ;/

(I am not a fan of the iPhone flashlight app.  I think it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen.)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 09:17:52 PM »
I wonder if you could use one as an altimeter?

If the GPS is worth a darn it should indicate altitude.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 11:01:56 PM »
Surefire also has a flashlight program.  It works pretty well.   ;/

(I am not a fan of the iPhone flashlight app.  I think it's the dumbest thing I've ever seen.)

Why is that?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 11:31:37 PM »
I don't have an iPhone or an iPod Touch, but I've been thinking about getting the Touch.  So, when I come across an app that looks like something I might be interested in later, I try and write it down to a file I keep for that purpose.    I'd love to have the iPhone, but I don't want to spend the monthly tariff associated with a smart phone.  I just use my cheapo $15/month phone.

Here are some more of the apps I've noted:

google Mobile App
http://www.google.com/mobile/#p=default

Amazon Mobile
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000291661

PageOnce
http://gizmodo.com/5028422/iphone-apps-we-love-pageonce-is-our-cheap-personal-assistant

VNC Lite
http://www.mochasoft.dk/iphone_vnc.htm

i.TV
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/08/17/i-tv-for-iphone-cluttered-but-promising-entertainment-guide/

Voice Notes
http://bigmacky.wordpress.com/2007/08/29/iphone-voice-notes/

Where
http://www.crunchbase.com/product/where-iphone-app

eBay Mobile
http://pages.ebay.com/mobile/iphone.html

Bento
http://www.filemaker.com/products/bento/iphone.html

QuickOffice
http://www.quickoffice.com/quickoffice_iphone/

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/iphone/?cm_mmc=PAIDS|GAWS-_-AMERC|US|EN-_-BD|IPHON-_-zh56dx

games:
http://www.loopinsight.com/2009/12/01/thirty-must-have-games-for-the-iphone-or-ipod-touch/

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 06:06:21 PM »
Why is that?

Regarding the iPhone flashlight app, I don't like it because almost any real flashlight is a much better flashlight than a cell phone.  I carry a Surefire E1B around in my pocket all the time.  When I need to see or read something I can do it.  I'm not stuck holding my cell phone three inches away from what I'm trying to look at squinting in the darkness.  Anyone can carry some kind of flashlight.  Even if it's just a little Photon Microlight on your key chain.

Though I think the flashlight app could give the Army issue green L-shaped flashlight a run for it's money.  *sigh*

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 02:47:36 AM »
No need for a flashlight app, I just bring up the main screen and its enough to find the power cord in my bedroom.  It's bright enough that I can walk around my bedroom without problems.  I don't carry a flashlight to bed because I usually just got out of the shower and have nowhere to keep it.  (well, except there, but I'm not going to put a flashlight there)

Pandora-Free custom music stations.
GPS Drive by MotionX-Cheapest GPS navigator.  Works slightly better than the default one.
Shazam- Play name that song.
Geocaching-  Find Geocaches.
RedLaser-Scan bardcodes on items and see prices for online retailers.
Labryinth 3d- Fun marble game.
Epocrates-Useful if you are into medicine at all.  Has a bunch of med calculators and info on almost every pharmaceutical that exists.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 08:19:41 AM »
FAST = simple dog-fighting game. $.99

CroMag Rally = fun racing game.

Flight Control = simple, but addicting, air traffic control game

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 09:14:34 AM »
if you want a real altimeter(one that works off air pressure[so there not that accurate =|]) you can get one in a g-shock, (you should be able to beat that price by atleast 60 bucks thought it was going for 150~) or a pathfinder. =D i love my riseman, it tells me when my headaches are going to get worse =|

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 11:22:24 AM »
If you have AT&T U-verse, there is an app that allows you to manage your DVR. You can schedule recordings and delete items that were recorded. It is faster than the regular webpage interface but as far as I can tell you cannot fine tune the scheduled recordings to start or end later than the listed start/end times shown.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 12:36:19 PM »
This thing is really a pretty nifty piece of technology. I've gotten a few of the apps but I've only had it about 14 hours now so I'm still figureing out how to use the basic features. Mostly a high tech toy for me but with my corp discounts it isn't too bad.
Streaming my evil rightwing hate radio talk shows in places I usually can't get a usable radio signal. Almost worth it for that alone.

Samuel Adams

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 01:06:59 PM »
This thing is really a pretty nifty piece of technology. I've gotten a few of the apps but I've only had it about 14 hours now so I'm still figureing out how to use the basic features. Mostly a high tech toy for me but with my corp discounts it isn't too bad.
Streaming my evil rightwing hate radio talk shows in places I usually can't get a usable radio signal. Almost worth it for that alone.
I<heart>radio. If that is the app you are talking about. I use that but not at work.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 02:06:48 PM »
Fly320s, at first glance I thought Michael Vick had hijacked your account! :O
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
There are others, but I like Surefire shot timer (free), iSnipe ($5.99), and istrelok (free).
D. R. ZINN

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 11:32:55 PM »
If the GPS is worth a darn it should indicate altitude.

FYI.  GPS has better accuracy for lat/long than altitude. 

Here is the geeky version:  http://www.sbg.ac.at/mat/staff/revers/lectures/2006_2007/GPS/gpsworld.may99.pdf

Here is the simple version:  Altitude error is approximately 1.5 time horizontal error specification, and increases with altitude.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 11:36:35 PM »
Couldn't altitude simply be calculated from lat/long?
D. R. ZINN