Author Topic: Any pipe smokers here?  (Read 8129 times)

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Re: Any pipe smokers here?
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 03:03:10 PM »
Is there any tobacco that is tobacco only with no additives or only non toxic additives for flavor? Not that I can smoke anyways. It makes my heart rate do bad things. I prefer my heart not explode.
Look, tiny text!

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »
Meh.

Gotta die of something.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 03:21:59 PM »
Is there any tobacco that is tobacco only with no additives or only non toxic additives for flavor? Not that I can smoke anyways. It makes my heart rate do bad things. I prefer my heart not explode.
Snus is supposedly the least harmful option, beyond not using tobacco at all. Has something to do with how the tobacco is cured.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 04:05:16 PM »
Nada, I've just always loved the aroma of pipe smoke, and it's something I wanted to try.  Hence, I pick you guy's collective brains.

Have you decided on a style of pipe?

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=DW&item=cstors6106

Does that style work for you?
One day at a time.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 04:29:47 PM »
That's really similar to what I've been looking at.  I like the churchwarden style, but the one in the pic just seems more practical.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2009, 04:44:10 PM »
PM me your address...I'll send you my extra one to get you started.
One day at a time.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 12:08:48 AM »
Is pipe smoking any safer than cigarettes? I don't know what is in pipe tobacco but I know cig tobacco has a number of horrors in it.
I've seen a few studies that indicate that your health risks are measurably the same as for a non smoker so long as you keep your tobacco usage under about one cigar/pipe/pack each day.  Risks rise rapidly if you smoke more frequently and/or if you drink alcohol while smoking.

Most casual hobbyist smokers only smoke once or twice a week.  My take on it is that we don't have any real risks over and above what's normal for any person.  That doesn't mean you can't get cancer and die, just means you're no more likely to than if you hadn't smoked.

Cigars are 100% tobacco, nothing else.  Most pipe blends are 100% tobacco too, but some have modest flavorings added in.  I don't think flavors are any worse than the stuff found in the food we eat every day.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:20:59 AM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 01:38:21 AM »
I've seen a few studies that indicate that your health risks are measurably the same as for a non smoker

Yep, 1:1 odds of dying either way.  Any years lost come off the nursing home end anyway.

TMM

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 12:31:38 PM »
most pipe smokers don't inhale, so that's a +1 for pipes against cigarettes. in addition to that, most pipe smokers smoke less than cigarette smokers, so reduced useage=reduced risk...

other than that little bit, i don't concern myself with it too much. if i wanted to be completely healthy i wouldn't smoke, drink, etc....

TMM

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 01:47:52 PM »
I puff on a pipe about the same amount I do a cigar, 2-3 times a year.  Big smoker, for sure.  I have a little stubby pipe I bought many years ago and smoke Captain Black.  I just like it.  I like Romeo y Julieta cigars, large, long and black.  That is about it.  I have glaucoma so if the green leafy smoke ever becomes legal, I might try it.  It has been a long time since the 60s......chris3

sanglant

• friend
Any pipe smokers here?
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 01:23:59 PM »
:angel:  =D  [tinfoil]

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 05:58:53 PM »
I love pipes, and cigars, but don't smoke them too often.  I have a few "seconds" briars from various Boston tobaconists, and a corncob for travelling.  My favorite tobacco has to be Penzance, with frog morton coming in second, being more aromatic.

I still don't have the skill to keep one lit too well though, or pack it such that it stays lit easily.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 09:19:22 PM »
fill it, pack to a third full. fill it pack to to thirds full, fill it pack it. light it. ;)

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 10:16:25 PM »
Ex-Ma,

Awesome!  Thanks.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 01:55:14 AM »
Any arsenic supplement takers here?  Benzene?  Pesticides?  Heavy metals?

I've heard if you only take them once in a blue moon the risks are negligible, and gosh if they doesn't taste pretty good!

I stopped taking mine for a while, but I got so jittery I had to do something to compensate.  Set up a grill inside so I could enjoy BBQ smoke.  It unstressed me but didn't do anything for my cravings, so I'm back to popping toxin pills.

Good vo2max?  Who needs it?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 12:48:17 PM »
I love pipes, and cigars, but don't smoke them too often.  I have a few "seconds" briars from various Boston tobaconists, and a corncob for travelling.  My favorite tobacco has to be Penzance, with frog morton coming in second, being more aromatic.

It pains me so that Ehrlich's on Tremont Street is closed, but Peretti's is still there.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2009, 06:47:53 PM »

I've heard if you only take them once in a blue moon the risks are negligible, and gosh if they doesn't taste pretty good!

I stopped taking mine for a while, but I got so jittery I had to do something to compensate.  Set up a grill inside so I could enjoy BBQ smoke.  It unstressed me but didn't do anything for my cravings, so I'm back to popping toxin pills.

I take it you're not crazy about tobacco...  :lol:

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2009, 10:28:08 PM »

;/

1. Those are mainly found in cigarettes, not pipe tobacco.
2. Pipe smoke should not be inhaled.
3. Either you live far out in the country, are entirely ignorant of the air composition in major cities, or wear a gas mask every time you leave your clean room.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2009, 11:20:06 PM »

;/
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2009, 09:04:29 AM »
1. Those are mainly found in cigarettes, not pipe tobacco.
According to which studies?  I have found no useful information on differences in content between tobacco in cigarettes and tobacco sold for pipe smoking (or chewing I suppose).  If this packaged tobacco is so harmless and organic (in the food-organic sense, not the chemical-organic sense), how is it that people who chew tobacco are at such high risk of mouth cancer?

2. Pipe smoke should not be inhaled.
Okay.  I did look at a bit of information about pipe smoking when I first saw this thread, and I saw that recommendation everywhere, but I can't fathom how it works.  Can someone explain this to me because obviously I've never smoked a pipe.

There's the pipe.  There's the tobacco in the pipe.  And it's burning.  So there's smoke coming out of the pipe, and that smoke goes into your mouth, and into the air in the room?

So the pipe smoker breathes in, holds his breath, puts the pipe in his mouth, lets smoke collect for a while, then breathes it all out?  Or the pipe smoker puts the pipe in his mouth, puffs (isn't that inhaling a little?), lets the smoke collect without actively closing off the airway, and then breathes it out eventually?  That second method doesn't seem to me like it can be called "not inhaling".  More like "not inhaling deeply".  Because not inhaling means literally holding your breath while the pipe is in your mouth, otherwise some smoke is going to get into your lungs.

Not to mention that there will be tobacco smoke in the air.  Not to mention that some stuff in the smoke can be absorbed through mucus membranes.

After all that, what's the appeal?  The dilute smell of tobacco smoke in the air?  The taste of... what?  Can you taste the smoke in your mouth?  The nicotine high?

3. Either you live far out in the country, are entirely ignorant of the air composition in major cities, or wear a gas mask every time you leave your clean room.
Really?  Those are the only choices?    ;/
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

TMM

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2009, 10:01:41 AM »
So the pipe smoker breathes in, holds his breath, puts the pipe in his mouth, lets smoke collect for a while, then breathes it all out?  Or the pipe smoker puts the pipe in his mouth, puffs (isn't that inhaling a little?), lets the smoke collect without actively closing off the airway, and then breathes it out eventually?  That second method doesn't seem to me like it can be called "not inhaling".  More like "not inhaling deeply".  Because not inhaling means literally holding your breath while the pipe is in your mouth, otherwise some smoke is going to get into your lungs.

with pipe and cigar smoking, there is no breathing, only puffing. like sucking on a straw to drink your soda. you'd never inhale your soda, you just use your mouth to create suction to draw the smoke into your mouth. then, you can blow out the smoke, or in the case of a cigarette, inhale it.

and yea, if you're smoking inside you will be inhaling some smoke, but i've never been a fan of hotboxing a room with tobacco smoke.  =D

and what's the appeal? a common question from people that either hate the smell of smoke or those who have never smoked. it's relaxing, smells and tastes good (if you get good tobacco), and there's a real dedication and process to smoking a pipe that a cigarette or cigar doesn't have. you just light it and smoke it. with a pipe, you have to tend it, make sure it doesn't go out or burn too hot...

YMMV.  ;)

TMM

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2009, 05:00:59 PM »
I just don't understand the temperance lecture..  

We're all adults here.  Yes, smoking has inherent risks.  We accept that.

I'm a big fan of good whiskey, scotch and bourbon, too.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:07:12 PM by Bigjake »

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »
and now you know why i just post smiles  ;)