Author Topic: Good recent movies?  (Read 26306 times)

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
Re: Good recent movies?
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2009, 02:06:59 AM »
The story of Avatar may not be the best, yes, but damn if the CG (at least in 3D) didn't make it completely worth it. 

For all you gamer nerds out there, I watched The Gamers: Dorkness Rising last night.  I haven't laughed so hard at a movie in a really long time.  If you knew or know D&D, you have to see this movie. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2009, 03:26:14 AM »
I went to see Scrooge with my kids yesterday.
absolutely amazing. Was my first 3-D  movie too and again - amazing.
Outstanding - Bravo !

For the other parents =
Lunch at KFC = 20$
3 movie tickets = 40 $
3 bags of Popcorn (medium) = 10 $

Expensive but worth it !
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2009, 03:39:44 PM »
Saw Avatar last night.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  :P
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2009, 12:10:56 PM »
Saw Avatar last night.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.  :P

Why do you hate America?  :P
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »
Why do you hate America?  :P
Lack of 10-foot-tall blue-skinned hotties.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2009, 02:00:19 AM »
Looks like CNYCacher's a closet-furry!  :O

=D
Lack of 10-foot-tall blue-skinned hotties.

They look like kittens... blue kittens! ;/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:03:35 AM by Dionysusigma »
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2009, 07:05:20 AM »
Timecrimes
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2009, 08:13:08 AM »
I went to see Sherlock Holmes the other day.  It was entertaining.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2009, 08:46:46 AM »
Timecrimes

Ah, that one was good as well.  Just when you think you have it figured out, it throws you for a loop.  That happens about 5 times :)
Charles Babbage

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2009, 11:54:21 AM »
While "Scarface" is by no means a recent movie, I just watched it last night for probably the 900th time.

The music, clothes and some of the cinematography is dated, but Al Pacino's acting is terrific. There are very few movies I see where I forget that I'm watching an actor. This is one of those. I don't think Al Pacino, I think Tony Montana. It was the same way with Marlon Brando in the "The Godfather." I forgot it was Brando, and just thought Don Corleone.

Pacino has made better movies, but I'd argue this was his best acting performance.

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2009, 05:27:15 PM »
We recently watched on DVD Inglorious Basterds, The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3, District 9, Wolverine and the X-Men: Beginning of the End Past and Future Past & Future Collide, Star Trek, Transformers and enjoyed them all. Inglorious Basterds & District9  were pretty gory. District 9 took me a while to get into, but it finally evolved.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2009, 10:16:01 AM »
I have read all the H Potter books and enjoyed most the movies.

The only movie I thought sub-standard was #2.

Considering that #2 was the weakest book in the series that's not surprising.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2010, 10:48:27 PM »
I just finished watching "The Hurt Locker." Really intense. The documentary style really made me forget I was watching actors.

I had some doubts before seeing it, as it had received rave reviews. Oftentimes that means I won't like a movie.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Dead thread rising:
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2010, 02:23:26 AM »
We just saw Blind Side in the theatre last night.  Not bad.  Sandra Bullock is smokin hot in it.  Felt like the Mike character was underdeveloped, though, and the whole movie is suppossed to be about him. ???

Well, it ain't supposed to be all about him.  Yeah I know, late to the party, but I just saw the film.

If Mike was "underdeveloped," maybe it's because, as Sean Toohey said, "He's like an onion."  The film, and the book, make clear that Michael Oher is not a guy that's into sharing and "forgets" the bad things in his past.  Or at least he was like that in high school. 

But then, the movie really is all about his "development" from homeless black kid with 0.6 GPA, to college/pro football success with a wealthy, white family.  I'd say that's a lot of development, all by itself. 

If Oher gets less screen time than Leigh Anne (and I'm not so sure he does, I'd have to count), there may be good reasons for that.  The whole plot develops from her decision to take Oher in.  As a character, and as a real person, she has an aggressive, dynamic personality that probably grabs people's attention, anyway.  And since it would have been hard to cast an established star to play Oher, it's not surprising that a high-profile actress like Bullock was chosen to carry the film. 

One could also make the case that she's more interesting, at least dramatically.  Oher is definitely interesting, but his motivation is pretty easy to grasp.  L.A. Toohey is a rich white lady who took in a big, fat, homeless black kid she hardly knew, and made him a part of her family.  That's quite an engaging character. 

OK, I've thought about this way too much.  Sorry.   =|

By the way, I also watched the Abrams' Star Trek tonight.  Did anybody else find the Uhura/Spock thing really, really weird?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2010, 03:01:49 AM »
Intensely.

I both love and hate that movie.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2010, 09:56:57 AM »
The Hurt Locker was a really good flick. 
Different kind of movie, but I loved Zombieland, too.  Watched it the other night and I haven't laughed that hard in awhile. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2010, 11:33:33 AM »
Network http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074958/

It may be 30+ years old, but if you haven't seen it, and I'm sure some of the youngsters here haven't, you should.  And it would be a good revue for the ones who have seen it, just not recently.

I bring this up because Netflix says it will be in my mailbox today.  I have an old Beta copy, but I'm looking forward to being able to actually view the (unedited, unbroadcast) movie in a few hours.  I watched it with my son when he was MUCH younger, and I'm sure it had a profound effect on his world view.  I positive profound effect.  The boy is now more cynical and conservative than even I am.   =D

GG
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2010, 11:43:51 AM »
Didn't see it mentioned yet, but I really enjoyed The Book of Eli.  I liked the different take on what might be important post-apacolypse.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2010, 01:44:49 PM »
Watched "Green Zone" the other day.  That is very good, if you like the Jason Bourne style of action flicks. I do.  =D

The firearms technical aspects are spot on, the sound effects rock, but the handi-cam ( aka shakey-cam) got to be a little much.  Also, there is a bit of a dig at George W and the never found Weapons of Mass Destruction, but I didn't think the overall film had much of a political slant to it.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2010, 02:21:33 PM »
I'm constantly renting new movies, and frequently disappointed. I thought we might start a movie thread, so we could pick up on some releases we're not aware of.

I watch very few movies.

The recent Sherlock Holmes flick I quite enjoyed.  A dark grey turn of the last century fantasy steampunk Victorian London.  The characters of Holmes and Watson aren't quite what you usually see.  Darker.

They did not take the ending in a "Holmes vs. Aliester Crowley" deus-ex-machina supernaturalist direction, and that's a good thing.  

I could have done without the Indiana Jonesish escapades in the pig slaughterhouse.

The new Star Trek movie is fantastic, and just recently came out on DVD / Blu Ray.  Easily the best chapter in the series.  So good in fact, that you need no previous exposure to Star Trek to enjoy it.

Because it basically branches the ST story line into a completely new direction, very early on in the ST history.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:27:23 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2010, 06:10:48 PM »
Because it basically branches the ST story line into a completely new direction, very early on in the ST history.

Yeah!  I mean, Spock and Uhura?  You got to be kidding me.   :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2010, 11:18:45 PM »
Zombieland was awesome. Watching The Blindside atm for the wife, good so far. I still wanna see Book of Eli and Start Trek, but Sherlock Holmes has me very excited. I loved the books and stories, and I hear this is a good adaptation.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2010, 12:23:26 AM »
Just got done watching Eli.  Very good.  Holmes was good too.
Charles Babbage

Mrs. Inor

« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2010, 02:35:12 AM »
Sheesh - Inor and I rent/buy movies for entertainment and never know what to get. We don't eat out (mostly cause Inor has to sit through my critique of the food).  We don't have cable and watch tv only when stuff like 9/11 happens or when his Vikings or my Steelers are on.  Is there a way on this site to do a bulletin board type thingy?  I have been taking notes about good movies but is there a way to list a thumbs up thumbs down on movies?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »

Yeah!  I mean, Spock and Uhura?  You got to be kidding me.   :laugh:

That was the only part of that movie which sucked.....mightily..... Even the "Kirk fresh out of the academy gets the flagship of starfleet" was a hhhhhhuuuuuuggggggeeeeee stretch.  But the whole Spock and Uhura, give me a freakin' break.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.