Author Topic: U.S. soldiers in Iraq could face courts-martial for getting pregnant  (Read 8734 times)

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: U.S. soldiers in Iraq could face courts-martial for getting pregnant
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 10:17:13 AM »
I'd just like to point out this probably isn't as much a problem with homosexuals.  Let 'em in!

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2009, 10:56:56 AM »
I can see it now.  Gigabust's Gay Grenadiers.  Might bring some style to the tacticool movement.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2009, 11:33:16 AM »
I can see it now.  Gigabust's Gay Grenadiers.  Might bring some style to the tacticool movement.

Then we'll have tactical boa's in pink urban camo.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »
Oh, gawd.

Not this again...

They're even voting now, GS.  Terrible thing, I tell you.   =(

I said letting them wear shoes would be the slippery slope..... :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 01:59:19 PM »
Hell, looks like letting them out of the kitchen was a bad move, according to some here...  :-X
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2009, 02:05:55 PM »
Hell, looks like letting them out of the kitchen was a bad move, according to some here...  :-X

Oh crap! When did this happen? =D

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 02:37:17 PM »
What is the combat usefulness of a soldier that would get pregnant and raise a child specifically to avoid serving?

If on the other hand, the pregnancy was unplanned, it seems rather asinine and dehumanizing to punish the expectant mother.

As far as women in the military go, it is not a conscription. If they believe they want and can serve, then admit them based on their abilities. Holding them back just because they have a uterus is rather silly and ultimately unfair. There are plenty of uteri to go around in the homeland. Unlike Europe or Russia, the US does not seem to have an acute demographic problem.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 02:50:54 PM »
Left italic, letter b, right italic, insert text, left italic, letter b, backslash, right italic.

Left bracket ( "[" ), letter b, right bracket, insert text, left bracket, backslash, letter b, right bracket.

Should look something like this...

[ b]insert text[/b]

Except without the space before the first b (fastest way I could think of to show the code without it taking effect).  Or you could just highlight the text and click the bold B in the upper left corner of the "Post reply" box.

On the original subject, the CG is already backing off on his threat according to this article.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 03:06:14 PM »
Oh, gawd.

Not this again...

They're even voting now, GS.  Terrible thing, I tell you.   =(

Hey you can't blame me for that.  I wasn't around when they voted that in. >:D

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »
Military personnel aren't known for celibacy, historically speaking. Bringing women into the military won't change that. Might reduce the chances of troopies running off and cavorting with local women, and Al-Jazeera playing it as "Crusaders rape Afghan women!"

:lol:

Somehow, the issue of pregnant soldiers brings to my warped mind the visual of a lady pilot flying CAS.
"Bravo two zero, this is Baby Mama. My water just broke. Returning to base. You guys are on your own."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 03:57:05 PM »
Men have been charged after getting bad sunburns that render them unable to do their jobs. Jus' saying...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 04:13:44 PM »
The article said the civilians were included.  How would the Army punish civilians if at all?  Fire them?  Cut their pay? 

As far as bolding:  you were both wrong.  
1.  Type your message or copy/paste or whatever.
2.  Highlight text to be bolded.
3.  Hit the B button above.  
4.  Let the software work for you.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 04:24:03 PM »

Teaching them to read ... that was the first mistake.  :laugh:
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 04:38:34 PM »
I'm pretty darned feminist and I don't see an issue with this, so long as the donator of the sperm is subject is subject to the same penalties.

What about her husband  ??? 

"Bravo two zero, this is Baby Mama. My water just broke. Returning to base. You guys are on your own."

Women are tough.  They can stay on duty right up until they pop, take a few hours off, and go back to work.  :P  =D

(actually, I'm rather old-fashioned and mostly agree with GS  ;) )

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »
How are they gonna cook if they can't read the cookbook? :P

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2009, 04:53:33 PM »
How are they gonna cook if they can't read the cookbook? :P
If they didn't go to school, they could stay home and learn it the traditional way.  :D

(Is this getting out of hand?)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2009, 05:26:57 PM »

Darn, why didn't I think of that? :lol:

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2009, 05:27:17 PM »
It shouldn't matter if the pregnancy was "unintended".

As noted, if I get wasted on Friday, pass out in the sun Saturday and am unfit for duty due to severe sunburn come Monday formation I have reduced my unit's combat effectiveness.

True, it was "unintentional", but it was also clearly due to making a series of choices that could reasonably and quite foreseeably lead to that end.

You want to play you have to be willing to pay.  

For a guy, you have only a few limited ways to proactively affect the outcome from your end of the transaction.  For a female servicemember you have several that are more or less foolproof and free.  It behooves you to use them if you want to choose to engage in potentially career-affecting behavior while under such orders.

Suck it up.  Be disciplined or take precautions.  Don't go whining about "reproductive rights" or "fairness" or other nonsense.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Pregnant soldiers won't be court-martialed, commander says
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2009, 10:22:05 PM »
The gentleman has apparently reversed himself on this. ???

The commander who instituted a policy cracking down on pregnancy among soldiers defended it Tuesday as necessary to maintain troop strength, but said no soldier would ever be court-martialed for violating the directive.

The policy -- which would punish soldiers who get pregnant or impregnate another soldier -- was included in Maj. Gen. Anthony Cucolo's orders to troops regarding conduct while deployed under his command in northern Iraq.

Cucolo, who has 22,000 people under his command, including 1,682 women, said the policy is meant to make his soldiers "think before they act."

"The main reason why I did this was my intense desire to maintain my fighting strength any way possible in a very tough and complex mission that includes a drawdown," he told reporters in a conference call Tuesday. "The consequence of them departing early is they're leaving their team, their unit, shorthanded with their special skills."

The specific rule in the general order prohibits "becoming nondeployable for reasons within the control of the soldier," which includes "becoming pregnant, or impregnating a soldier ... resulting in the redeployment of the pregnant soldier."

Pregnancy that arises from sexual assault would not be punished, Cucolo said.

The directive applies to all military and civilians serving under Cucolo in northern Iraq, an area that includes Balad, Kirkuk, Tikrit, Mosul and Samarra, according to the Web site of Multi-National Force Iraq.
Video: No pregnancy, general's orders
Video: Pregnancy punishment