Author Topic: Making fire.  (Read 5207 times)

Hutch

• friend
Making fire.
« on: December 25, 2009, 05:03:31 PM »
Fellow members, I have had no luck whatever in getting a quality product for lighting grills, outdoor cooking appliances, fireplaces, etc.  My favorite has been what my kids (now grown) called the "magic match", a common butane light with a long nozzle for sticking the flame in where you want it.  I have bought no fewer than a dozen over the last coupla years, and fully 1/3 have been DOA.  The others have generally lasted for fewer than 20 - 30 lights.  I am confident that gas is exiting the spout, as I can light them with another flame, but what's the point of that?  I then decided to go seek out a 19th century solution, the good ol' wooden barn-burner kitchen matches.  Y'all remember them?  The "strike anywhere" match?  Wellsir, it doesn't appear that they are common in the marketplace any more.  Even the old Diamond boxes of matches are now "strike on box".  Two questions ensue:

1)  Does anyone know of a quality butane "long" lighter?  If it could be refilled, that'd be a plus, but even one that the igniter lasted as long as the butane would be a huge improvement.

2)  Have the "strke anywhere" matches gone the way of the passenger pigeon?  If not, where can they be obtained?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Making fire.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 05:08:36 PM »
http://store.everestgear.com/eqdia101.html
Are these what you're looking for?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 05:46:50 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-TS3000T-Quickfire-Self-Igniting-Torch/dp/B00008ZA0B%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJASE6HSSVXTNREYQ%26tag%3Dsmtfx1-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00008ZA0B

a lil over kill   but i like it

What do you mean, "overkill"?  It's still suborbital, aint it?  About the only thing more guaranteed to do the job is a MAPP-gas burner.  Want to ask me how I learned you cannot use the same burner assembly with MAPP gas as with propane? :O  Didn't think you did :angel:.

There's always http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chimney.html or http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/charcoal-chimney.html which is pretty much idiot-proof providing you remember to add the charcoal on top of the paper.

As for your fireplace woes, this http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/firewood.html will lead you to this http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/fire-starter.html which should get you going without having resorted to refined hydrocarbon molitov cocktails being hurled towards the mantle.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »
Well, duh... "Strike Anywhere Matches" for a search argument in Ebay pulls up a useful amount of information.  The propane kit in the amazon ref looks like it might not fit in the grill pilot hole...  If the butane magic matches would just be reliable, that'd by my choice.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »

Works every time.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 06:06:03 PM »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: dynamite.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 07:25:43 PM »
I've found Ronson lighters to be perfect for all my arson-committing needs.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 09:46:26 PM »
Nuke it from orbit.

Actually I find a lot of times the reason those long reach lighters don't light is the speed at which you pull the "trigger". I believe slowly is best. Mrs 280 found one that looked like a dbl bbl SG and made a double flame that was really cool but I wore it out after a couple years and now it won't spark reliably.  =(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

sanglant

• friend
i hope this makes some sence
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 02:55:38 PM »
start with about 1.2 to 2 cubic inches of this stuff buy or build one of these put the fire starter stuff in the bottom of the chimney starter, and light it(make sure it's on something fire proof[a patio square works good{a stack if you don't like bending over}]). then add charcoal a little more than you think to start with, some burns off while it's lighting. put it in whatever you were trying to light, if you want a fire instead of coals stack your firewood on top of the charcoal >:D and, if your using briquettes you owe it to your self to try lump [popcorn] oh and if the handle gets loose, go ahead and replace it. it ain't worth burning your house down over. [tinfoil]
if you have a propane stove, i use the one on my smoker. you can just fill the chimney starter and lay it on the burning camp stove. :angel:

if you have to have a lighter, i am still looking for the link, i'll find it at some point

oh and heat is killing your stick lighters, there not meant to be on that long =)

edit: deleted a line i thought i had deleted
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 03:02:10 PM by sanglant »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 03:46:34 PM »

Or, if you don't want to spend that much,

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 04:38:53 PM »

There are very few problems that cannot be solved with the appropriate application of high explosives.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »

He's looking for fire, not explosions.

I have an idea involving iron-oxide and aluminum though.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 07:43:03 PM »

Fellow members, I have had no luck whatever in getting a quality product for lighting grills, outdoor cooking appliances, fireplaces, etc.

You don't have much of a future as a pyro do you?  =D

http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-TS3000T-Quickfire-Self-Igniting-Torch/dp/B00008ZA0B%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJASE6HSSVXTNREYQ%26tag%3Dsmtfx1-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00008ZA0B

a lil over kill   but i like it

That's what I always use whether lighting a woodstove, the sauna or smokehouse. A little bulky to be carrying around in a pack though, so fire starting skills are still a must.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 07:44:03 PM »
C4 and a common match will start a nice fire, easily.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 08:20:46 PM »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 12:02:47 AM »
strike anywhere matches are indeed dead technology. I have searched far and wide, I have posted on cigar forums and so on trying to find strike-anywhere matches of years past that actually work. I remember lighting matches on my teeth, pants, or with the flick of a fingernail. The only strike-anywhere matches available in the US are Diamonds and they are so neutered as to be worthless. You can indeed strike them anywhere, but they are not likely to light anywhere either.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 08:48:03 AM »
yea, I had the thumbnail down. We used to use our zippers too. Nowadays, if you carry a small survival kit in you pack, you have to include a piece of striker in your waterproof matchcase.  ;/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 09:55:56 AM »
Nuke it from orbit.

Actually I find a lot of times the reason those long reach lighters don't light is the speed at which you pull the "trigger". I believe slowly is best. Mrs 280 found one that looked like a dbl bbl SG and made a double flame that was really cool but I wore it out after a couple years and now it won't spark reliably.  =(

*hehehee* my wife found me one of those too.  Sadly, it only fires about half the time now...  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 10:04:39 AM »
strike anywhere matches are indeed dead technology. I have searched far and wide, I have posted on cigar forums and so on trying to find strike-anywhere matches of years past that actually work. I remember lighting matches on my teeth, pants, or with the flick of a fingernail. The only strike-anywhere matches available in the US are Diamonds and they are so neutered as to be worthless. You can indeed strike them anywhere, but they are not likely to light anywhere either.

It is with sadness that I concur.  In my childhood, they used to light against the rusty side of the 55-gallon drum in which I burned the family trash.   =(
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 10:13:04 AM »
Hah!
I have one of these lighters, it's worked well for me:

http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-019585-Flex-Stem-Lighter/dp/B002ZHESJK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1261876748&sr=8-2-spell

Hah! Again!

This is the quality information I was looking for.  You guys so towtally RAWK!!!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »
He's looking for fire, not explosions.

I have an idea involving iron-oxide and aluminum though.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

An explosion is a fire. It just burns really, really fast. =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 01:57:11 PM »
don't tell the atf that, we'll have to build bunkers to store our smoke wood [tinfoil]

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 03:26:47 PM »
I remember dropping strike-anywhere matches into the barrel of my BB gun and firing them out at hard surfaces (no bb behind it)  they would make a nice pop like a firecracker when they hit.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 03:33:30 PM »
I remember dropping strike-anywhere matches into the barrel of my BB gun and firing them out at hard surfaces (no bb behind it)  they would make a nice pop like a firecracker when they hit.

Or, cut a small hole in a tennis ball and stuff it full of just the broken off match heads, then heave it at something hard.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G