Author Topic: Snowmobiles  (Read 3834 times)

grampster

• friend
Snowmobiles
« on: January 02, 2010, 04:15:59 PM »
A bunch of snowmobilers have cut themselves a nice oval on the lake and are racing their machines.  I think I'll go out and spud me a hole in the lake down in front and see how much ice we have.  I'm betting less than 4 inches.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Snowmobiles
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 05:47:46 PM »
its all good so long as you keep moving  break down or stall out   its a good thing they are fairly waterproof
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 07:06:50 PM »
My observation is that snowmobiles have some sort of force field that repels all common sense  ;/

I know that the steering is totally unreliable.  I have seen them leave a perfectly good trail and go straight up the side of a mountain until they get stuck or start an avalanche.  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 07:19:28 PM »
My observation is that snowmobiles have some sort of force field that repels all common sense  ;/

I know that the steering is totally unreliable.  I have seen them leave a perfectly good trail and go straight up the side of a mountain until they get stuck or start an avalanche.  :P

Or pull out onto 65 mph traffic.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 07:50:08 PM »
When I was in the northland, a dude made the paper for his 7th DUI. Stopped because he got his snowmobile stuck on the side of a 4 lane highway near a pretty big town. Cop stopped to help and smelled what turned out to be four times the legal limit. Predictably, the offender did not have a driver's license, so this was how he was getting to his watering holes.

a forcefield that repels all common sense. I like that, one of the most succinct and accurate descriptions I've heard.

P.S. I want a snowmobile.  ;/
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 07:52:20 PM »
a forcefield that repels all common sense. I like that, one of the most succinct and accurate descriptions I've heard.

The four-wheelers down here must have the same forcefield, too.

"Hold my beer and watch this!" is a mandatory statement before climbing onto one.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 07:52:34 PM »
Or pull out onto 65 mph traffic.

Or hit a parked car at 100 mph.

Yeah, snowmobile + on the road + booze + snowy January night is all fun and games until somebody gets hurt.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 07:55:43 PM »
When I was in the northland, a dude made the paper for his 7th DUI. Stopped because he got his snowmobile stuck on the side of a 4 lane highway near a pretty big town. Cop stopped to help and smelled what turned out to be four times the legal limit. Predictably, the offender did not have a driver's license, so this was how he was getting to his watering holes.

P.S. I want a snowmobile.  ;/

Actually in west Michigan they used to have booze run snowmobile trails that went from watering hole to watering hole. Don't know if they do anymore. D.N.R. has started patrolling via snowmobile and writing D.U.I.'s
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 08:18:09 PM »
On private property or public roads?

Can such laws be authoritative on private property?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 08:45:31 PM »
      Actually in west Michigan they used to have booze run snowmobile trails that went from watering hole to watering hole. Don't know if they do anymore. D.N.R. has started patrolling via snowmobile and writing D.U.I.'s

I think that was pretty common all over Michigan. We had them in SE MI, central (Gaylord, Grayling, Houghton Lake) and even the Yoopers (whooda thunkit?) had booze runs (not that I ever rode them :angel:).
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 09:28:34 PM »
I never had a snowmobile when I lived in the upper peninsula. I was too cheap to pay for a gadget I could use only nine months of the year.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 10:17:59 PM »

In Iowa you can be charged for DUI on Private Property.

i.e. You own a large tract of land, you drink a bottle of Jack Daniels and decide that it would be fun to go off roading on your own property. Law enforcement sees you driving irratic and checks it our, officer Friday notices booze on your breath, administers beathalizer, you blow over .08 and you are arrested for DUI.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 12:05:25 AM »
I never had a snowmobile when I lived in the upper peninsula. I was too cheap to pay for a gadget I could use only nine months of the year.

That's pretty funny! The other three months a year were just bad ice skating.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 08:53:12 AM »

I know that the steering is totally unreliable.  I have seen them leave a perfectly good trail and go straight up the side of a mountain until they get stuck or start an avalanche.   :P

It's called highmarking.

In Iowa you can be charged for DUI on Private Property.

Same in Alaska.

I've dinged a lot of sno-go DUIs on roads, private property, public trails and on the Yukon River ice.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 10:56:21 AM »
Steve, notice I didn't say "snow machines" so I wasn't (necessarily) including Alaskans in my comment  ;)

Besides, why risk your life on a snow-go/machine/mobile when you can land a SuperCub on 10 feet of relatively smooth ice on a glacier?  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 11:36:38 AM »
I think any police department which enters private property to issue a summons for behavior which occurs only on said property, should be sued, with the offenders being held personally liable.

No, I don't include murder in that.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 11:43:40 AM »
I scraped a car in a parking lot, and the police said don't bother us about it.

I left a note and let my insurance take care of it.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 12:19:59 PM »
There's probably not much money in parking lot car-scrapes.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 06:33:38 AM »
Steve, notice I didn't say "snow machines" so I wasn't (necessarily) including Alaskans in my comment  ;)

Besides, why risk your life on a snow-go/machine/mobile when you can land a SuperCub on 10 feet of relatively smooth ice on a glacier?  =D

One, because it's fun (you should check out Arctic Man one of these days). Two, because I ......... uhhhhh haven't quite mastered landing a SuperCub on anything.  =D

I think any police department which enters private property to issue a summons for behavior which occurs only on said property, should be sued, with the offenders being held personally liable.

Such arrests are rare and only occur when police are summoned onto the property by the property owner and most time there are other issues involved. No one that I know of would arbitrarily enter onto private property just to make a case load. You have to have a legal and legitimate reason for being there.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 07:26:21 AM »

As of 1993 the Michigan law was "property open to the public".
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 10:55:14 AM »
A Yooper drinking and riding a snow machine?  You are funnin' me aren
't you.....................When I lived in the UP, 1968-91, the trails between bars were groomed to make it easier to race to the next bar.......chris3

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 11:02:30 AM »
Well the motorcycle ice racers found the track and were having fun all day yesterday.  Did I mention that the track is cut about 100' offshore from Smuggler's Cove, the local lake watering hole? =D [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 12:06:10 AM »
We used to do a lot of ice racing in our cars, got pretty proficient at driving on slick surfaces that way. One time, after the yearly ice fishing and snowmobile festival, we even had a big Jay's Potato Chip step van out there racing with us. There's not many things you can do in a car that are more fun than driving 70 mph across a lake and grabbing a handful of parking brake.  =D I sure loved driving on the lakes.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 04:52:57 AM »
Wait wait. Snowmobiles don't require a driver's license?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 04:55:07 AM »
Wait wait. Snowmobiles don't require a driver's license?

Driver's licenses (and also vehicle registration) are only required if you want to operate a vehicle on public roads.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth