Author Topic: An air-cooled VW adventure thread.  (Read 10088 times)

Chuck Dye

• friend
An air-cooled VW adventure thread.
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »

My first car was nominally a '63 Beetle, though it was sometimes called a Johnny Cash car:  purchased from a repair shop that specialized in in dune buggies, it was a lot like that one-piece-at-a-time Caddy in the song, built from many years' parts.

I bought the car to make a street legal dune buggy so, when some overenthusiastic driving on a forest service road pranged the rear sheet metal, I cut off the mangled parts and had the beginnings of a Baja Bug before they went commercial.  The open engine bay allowed me to run a four inch flex hose from the carburetor to a roof mounted paper air cleaner to replace that old oil bath monstrosity.  I was stopped three time over the years I had it by LEOs who feared I was running exhaust gas into the cabin.  *sigh*

Lost the clutch throwout fork  on a road trip with some fellow dormlings.  A Sears was across the street from the VW dealer, so we bought the part and a crescent wrench and set to work in the Sears parking lot.  The four of us lifted the car and placed the rear wheels on some borrowed cinder blocks.  I played the part of the floor jack by lying on some cardboard and  bench pressing the engine.  My buddies dragged me from under the car and freed me from the engine.  We changed out the throwout fork, reinstalled the engine, and were on our merry way in about an hour.

For a time, as an impoverished student, I had a rope start capstan on the crank pulley and really did rope start the car (sometimes being overweight can be useful!)

What did Hitler's Revenge bring to your story telling repertoire?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:16:26 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Snark diversion in progress: an air-cooled VW adventure thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:07:57 PM »
bought a 1970 vw camper in 74.  beat it to death.  had a corvair motor in it for a while and i could get the front wheels off the ground. put 5 motors in it including the corvair motor.i gave it to my sister with about 180 k on body and a shot motor. every teenage boy needs a car with a house/bed in the back.  my father in law to be hated that van. i can't say i blame him. did many stupid things with it  had 1o guys from the football team in it to trojan horse em to an interschool demonstration of fisticuffs. lived in it for a good part of high school. got engaged in it  ;/ towed a 3/4 ton pu outa the woods with it. had a generally obscene amount of fun that i pray will not be returned to me karma wise.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 09:21:36 PM »
They didn't call'em seduction wagons for naught!  Beetles, alas, were not so accommodating, though we did try.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
What did Hitler's Revenge bring to your story telling repertoire?

Had a '70 or '71 beetle, back in the early 80s.  Only had it for a couple years.  The floorpan had some serious issues.  Unbeknownst to me when I bought it, Bugs had a big problem w/ floor pan rust, in the parts of the country where they use salt on the roads.   It could be fixed, but no way I could have afforded it.

I literally still dream about that car sometimes.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 10:35:39 PM »
They didn't call'em seduction wagons for naught!  Beetles, alas, were not so accommodating, though we did try.

i had a karmen ghia with a birth control stick for a while
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
Re: An air-cooled VW adventure thread.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 10:36:34 PM »
 It could be fixed, but no way I could have afforded it.

with my apologies to brad   real estate signs and pop rivets will fix them

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 10:42:59 PM »
I hope to have one soon. My grandma finally saw the light and offered to give me her bug she bought new. Early 70's I believe, probably under 30K miles. In a garage, but open air, it has rust but no holes. Interior is so good I'm thinking of buying a driver's seat to keep the original just that. I need to go rescue it before she changes her mind or forgets and sells it to some kid down the street for one bill. I kid you not, they sold a micro-bus like that for $25 about 15 years ago. It hadn't been drove in a decade but it was intact. I'm not sure how those kids contained their laughter as they worked to free up the brakes and drag it away.  ;/
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 10:50:28 PM »
The John Muir book is still/again available.  It's hard to recommend it enough.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 11:00:24 PM »
I drove a mildly modded (1700cc engine w/progressive carb, lowered front end, custom interior) 72 Beetle all through HS and College.  I had to get ride of it shortly after college when a mystery problem killed the engine.  I kept it for a couple years with plans to restore it, but never got around to it and sold it in order to get it out of my parents' driveway.

I still have my Muir book.  It is held together with duct tape and quite dirty though. :)

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 11:12:22 PM »
my old Thing
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 11:13:57 PM »
back in the day you could ship off a transporter transaxle and a stack of cash and they would ship you back a 5 speed.  we had one in a ghiawith a tricked out motor and it was a real sleeper

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 11:20:24 PM »
My parents both had baby blue '76 Beetles when they got married. My grandpa owned one too, I remember riding around in it in the early 90's.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 12:49:12 AM »
*heh*  My dad used to build race engines for a VW Bug.  Think "Herbie" on steroids.  This thing would beat Porsche's in races.  Pissed the Porsche owners off something furious.   Don't remember what the specs were on the power/torque output, but it was pretty impressive...
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 01:08:26 AM »
My parents owned two VW Beetles.

So-so reliability, but my father could fix most anything. Except the blessed VW transmission To this day, he harbors a lifelong desire to pee on the grave of the man who came up with it.

One of the Beetles ended up as a donor vehicle for a dune buggy kit, the other sits in the junkyard, missing it's engine.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:14:06 AM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 01:20:10 AM »
The John Muir book is still/again available.  It's hard to recommend it enough.

Before I clicked on that link I had visions of a bearded man in a long coat, with biscuits in his pocket out exploring the Sierra Nevadas.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 03:26:13 AM »
I've known a few people with older air cooled VW cars in cold weather here in Minnesota.

They all had little or no heat when temps got really cold. My Mom joked that she would scrape the inside of her early 60's VW Bug in really cold weather. A friend who had a VW Micro Bus had the same problem. I guess VW made a auxillary gas heater that worked pretty good, but I never met anyone who had one.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 04:09:50 AM »
I've got a '64 Baja Bug that's halfway through a complete makeover. A few years ago I pulled the body off, sandblasted the chassis, I patched the hole under the battery and coated everything with cold galvanizing compound and covered that with liquid bedliner. Then I installed a 2" body lift and full cage that will be tied into the tube bumpers when they go on. I've got a 1 piece fiberglass front end on it, and I have most of the suspension parts to swap in the 002 bus tranny (5.38 R&P for 31" tires) and 2x3 trailing arms, and a 6" wider front end with 8" towers that the tubes are 2" farther forward. The interior is stripped and a new wiring harness is partially installed. It's also getting 4 wheel disk brakes with a dual piston master.

The engine I had in it for several years before stripping it down was a 1775cc, 110 cam, bobcat exhaust, single DCNF 40, and an original German Bosch 009. I've also been collecting parts for a 1915cc; 5.7rods with 94B pistons, RHB5 turbo, IC from a Volvo 740, stock german cam, 1.25 rockers with solid shafts, Aircooled.net aluminum pushrods, Schubecks lifters, and I've got a Megasquirt setup with 30 lb injectors. the goal is 150 hp and no lag. I've also got lexan quarter windows with NACA inlets that are going to feed cooling air to the intercooler, and I might add an electric fan too.

This is taking longer than I wanted, but it's going to be fun when it's done.  >:D

I have an aux gas heater, but about the only thing it's good for is putting fumes in the cabin.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 04:21:47 AM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 08:27:38 AM »
I had a '72 for 26 or so years...My Uncle Stuart, who was killed a few years ago gave me his VW Bug when I was 12 as a Bar Mitzvah present.  This started a love affair with Beetles….I remember when he gave it to me.  He had just graduated medical school and just went out and bought his first Mercedes.  “Doctors don’t drive Volkswagens” he told me “Those are for poor white trash”.  I asked him if I was poor white trash.  Yup, he replied...

I STRONGLY second the Muir book.  I owned three copies, and bought new and rotated as needed.

I had the house copy for planning a course of action at the table.
A bench copy for the work bench.  It was a bit worn and tattered.
A worker copy, often times in multiple sections as the book binding gave way (the older version were not spiral bound as I believe they are now).  This was covered in oil, brake fluid, torn and cut,.  It sat on the floor next to me as I worked.

She came off the road many years ago when I blew a cylinder and stripped her to redo.  She had been moved four times and was currently sitting and rusting.  I sold her two years ago and went out and bought my Rock Chucker press.  I sold it to a kid in the military that was turning his life around.  I was asking $800.00 for it- he only had $500, his CO came out with him and was going to loan him the other $300.  The CO was a cigar smoker and told me the kid was turning around, and the restoration was going to give him something to do other than get into trouble.  The CO also restored old VW as a hobby and was going to help the kid.

I went in the house, got the CO a good cigar (8AM in the morning), we had a cigar together, I told him about my Uncle, and told the kid to give me the $500 and let's call it even.  It was something my Uncle would have wanted me to do, and it was the right thing to do.

I'll be honest, I cried like a baby. 

Sobbed really.

I had that car forever, and my Uncle, my role model, had given it to me.  It reopened my Uncle's death all over again.

I think it was the closure I needed.  It was my letting my Uncle go.

I still dream about that car, and driving around with my dog (Lucy) that I had growing up.

I had life by the unmentionables.

It was a long, long time ago....

I still shed a tear on occasion thinking about how much I still miss my car, and my Uncle.
One day at a time.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 09:51:28 AM »
Ah, the Muir book.  I bought one for my Rabbit, and in subsequent years bought another Rabbit and a Jetta (older), just because of the book.  I'm no mechanic, but that book made even ME feel competent.  Wish the Muir Press, would select another automotive icon and publish a book on that one, as well.  I swear, I would buy that vehicle.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 09:53:42 AM »
My 73 thing had an Eberspacher gas heater

It would pump out 160 degree heat right at your leg
meanwhile the sheet metal, no insulation, loose soft top and plastic windows would vent the heat to the outer realm

at speed, on a cold trip to Philly from Pittsburgh the windshield would ice on the interior.

I miss that car

The upgrade is much more roadworthy:

I had a love hate relationship with the muir book,
I knew I read about some oddity in there, but finding the passage was a pain
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

griz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 10:50:58 AM »
I had a 68 bug when I lived in WV.  I think it would be charitable to call it underpowered.  Imagine 30 some horsepwer trying to push five people (I guess people were smaller then) up a hill.  Had to back up and get a running start on one steep one.  And on cold wet days I think it had a window froster instead of a defroster.  And it had weird ceramic fuses that didn't conduct electricity when they were in a bad moode.  I miss that good ol' terrible car.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 11:13:37 AM »

My Thing was capable of maybe 80 MPH downhill with a tail wind.
if you were not going 80 at the bottom, then the next hill climb would drop below 55

Mine had a Holley Bug spray carb, a hurst and headers.
It was loud & quite fast for 0-30

One fun adventure was my trip to my job interview in downtown DC at a NASA contractors office building.
It shredded the clutch cable in the parking garage, and I had to drive back to Falls Church speed shifting thru afternoon traffic.
I stopped at the bug shop on 29 picked up the cable and made the swap in my bikeshop parking lot.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 11:36:03 AM »
Oh ... I should write a book!   :lol:

My wife had a nominal 1967 Bug (yellow)when we were engaged, but it had been built up by her uncle from several abandoned cars that he bought from police auctions.  It was actually in pretty nice shape.

But she rolled it off an enbankment 2 1/2 times  :O  I happened by a few minutes later and nearly freaked  =(  But she was okay, just a few bruises.  Most of the glass popped out of the bug and it was "parallelogrammed."  We tipped it back onto its wheels, added some oil, and I climbed through a window and drove it home for her.  It smoked like crazy for a while because of the oil that had run down into two cylinders.

I pried open the doors and took them off, and removed the remaining glass and the sun roof.  We drove it all around the national forest the rest of that summer like a dune buggy, and had lots of fun with it as it would go almost anywhere, which really embarrased the city folks with their expensive blazers, etc  :P  Only problem was the gears weren't low enough to climb some mountains.  We even hauled the canoe down to the lake, just by holding onto the thwarts by reaching up through the missing sunroof hatch  =D  The windshield washer still worked, which was a joke on unsuspecting passengers because there was no glass.  :lol:

But like an idiot, I went out and bought her another VW Bug (red) and we hauled it home.  The engine was not supposed to be any good but I tinkered with it and we drove it for a while, until it blew up just outside Denver  =(  Had to call a friend with a flatbed to come haul us home.

So, I pulled the engine out of the wrecked yellow one and put it in the red one.  We drove it a while (got married) and then one day I lifted it up (with a forklift  :lol:) to work on the brakes and the front axle stayed on the floor  :O  Turns out the body was so rusted that the bolts just pulled out.  I put some longer bolts and big washers in there to hold it together, and we drove it some more.

(we hauled that bug to KS and back for the winter, on the back of my log truck, just sitting on some planks rigged up over the swivel bolster)

A few months later, back in the mountains, one night we missed a turn and drove out into a meadow.  "Ladypine" says "it's late so quit messing around" as we both used to do crazy things like that.  I said "here if you don't like my driving you take the wheel" - literally, as it was no longer connected to anything.  =|

So next day we dragged it home with the log truck, and I proceeded now to swap out the undercarraige with the yellow one (about 800 bolts IIRC).  Jacked up the good red body, rolled out the rusted chassis, and rolled the good one under, and then bolted it mostly back together.  Had to swap the engine back the other way again, of course  ;/

The hinges on the engine cover bent out of shape, so I just took the lid off, and wired the license plate to the little vent slots under the back window, hanging over the exposed engine.  Ran cooler that way anyhow  ;)

After a while, we got an old 4x4 pickup from my mom, so we traded off the bug for some firewood to a guy that worked for me.  I hauled the wood and sold it.  Later on one winter, he loaned it to some down on his luck drifter who promptly left the state with it and it was never seen again.

Thus ends our VW saga.  We never owned a "car" again until 2007 when we got a Chevy HHR from my dad (all we ever had were pickups and suburbans and trucks).
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 11:43:21 AM »
It shredded the clutch cable in the parking garage, and I had to drive back to Falls Church speed shifting thru afternoon traffic.
I stopped at the bug shop on 29 picked up the cable and made the swap in my bikeshop parking lot.

I had a cable partially shred while in college.  It held together enough to get home and I ended up changing it in the dorm lot. 

However, I DID lose the clutch in my Paseo after getting to an IT convention in Arlington.  I had to drive down 395, 495, and I66 speed shifting in rush hour traffic. :D

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 11:46:18 AM »
Here's a 1996-vintage pic of my Bug:

That was it's final configuration before it died and was subsequently parked.

Chris