Author Topic: Need advice on a digital camera...  (Read 6307 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Need advice on a digital camera...
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:03:45 AM »
So, I'm shopping for a new digital camera. Preferably under $300...I'm also taking a basic digital photography class next spring, so consider that this will both my regularly used camera and a learning tool.

I would dearly love but cannot afford a DSLR. I'd probably never be able to utilize one to the maximum capability anyway. I'm looking for a good, solid camera, good image quality, decent zoom (yes, I know I want optical, not digital zoom, and it really doesn't have to be higher than 10x) and megapixal range, and preferably running on AA batteries and hopefully SD or the high capacity SD cards. I am willing to change the memory card but not the battery type.

I also want good picture speed, I know I won't get DSLR speed, but I want something that is faster than the "ohsweetbabyxenuhowfreakin'longisthisgoingtotake" speed that older digital cameras are known for, along with decent battery life (I will happily use lithium AA batteries, by the way).

I've been reading the reviews on CNET and Amazon.com, but am more confused than ever other than the above little bit of what I am pretty sure I want.

So, how about some suggestions, APS?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Need advice on a digital camera...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:20:38 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:23:40 AM »
one thing, well too. =)

first is if you can get one that writes raw files, you can do a lot more to save a bad pic. =D

second, i don't know about any other brands. but pentax and samsung, have good image stabilization. it's handy when the lighting isn't quite where you want it. [popcorn]

oh and a link

KPT

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:01:54 AM »
I love my Canon G9, I think the model line is up to G11 now though. G11's are going to be over your budget but maybe you can find an older one? It has the features of a DSLR but is still small enough to fit in your pocket.

My favorite pic from my G9, note it was in the underwater case still:

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 01:13:37 AM »
The G series are all pretty much over my budget, unfortunately. Nice photo, though.

I'm going to look at the Canon SX110 and SX120 in person, as Harold suggested.

Keep them coming, folks!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 01:52:23 AM »
A week or so ago I got a Panasonic Lumix TS1 because I wanted a waterproof/dustproof/dropproof camera. (Yes, I've dropped it twice so far.)   It was rated as having the best picture quality/toughness combination.  Other Lumix cameras (not mine) supposedly have a Leica lens... made by whoever is carrying the Leica name now.  I do like the pictures so far, it's fast enough to satisfy me (and I have a DSLR, so I can compare).   Proprietary batteries unfortunately, but it does also take HD video, which I like, as well as a 28mm wide angle, which is great.

$260 or so street price, so within your budget.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras/Lumix-Digital-Cameras/model.DMC-TS1S_11002_7000000000000005702
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:57:23 AM by jamz »
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 02:34:14 AM »
I want something that is faster than the "ohsweetbabyxenuhowfreakin'longisthisgoingtotake" speed that older digital cameras are known for

My avatar photo I took in 2000 with a digital camera that had an approximate 6-second delay.
Took a few runs to get that shot.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 10:08:42 AM »
RAW is a feature reserved for serious grade cameras

The manufacturers do a good job of segmenting the features

I think you need the G series to get RAW.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
FOr $300 you can pick up a first (or maybe second) generation Digital Rebel SLR on evilbay or Craigslist.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 10:13:42 AM »
Not long ago I was researching cameras and I Googled up an article written by a long-time Nikon guy, a professional photographer. He basically said that for professional-grade digital SLRs, the choice between Nikon and Canon has to made on a week-by-week basis because they are leap-frogging each other so rapidly. But ... he went on to say that for the consumer-grade "point and shoot" types of digital cameras, he hated to admit that the only way to go is Canon. Having seen what friends of mine have been able to do with $150 Canons, I have to agree.

Personally, I favor the Canon 'A' series cameras, for the simple reason that they use AA batteries. The 'S' series cameras use (expensive) proprietary batteries. Buy an 'A' series, head over to Wal-Mart (unless that's where you buy the camera, and they have good prices on them), and buy a 4-pack of AA NiMH batteries with charger. The camera uses two, so you can easily maintain a fully charged pair of spares, and when the ones in the camera run down, you use the spares while the first set recharges.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 10:19:45 AM »
My favorite review site is http://www.imaging-resource.com/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 03:13:49 PM »

Buy an 'A' series, head over to Wal-Mart (unless that's where you buy the camera, and they have good prices on them), and buy a 4-pack of AA NiMH batteries with charger. The camera uses two, so you can easily maintain a fully charged pair of spares, and when the ones in the camera run down, you use the spares while the first set recharges.

If you can, get the "hybrid" NiMH batteries, such as the Sanyo Eneloop battery. They come charged, hold a charge twice as long in use, and in the bottom of the bag (stated, IIRC, 85% charge after a year, static)
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 07:27:57 PM »
I went with the Canon Powershot SX120 IS. Officemax had it same price as Amazon ($200) and with an extra 15% off due to their "brown bag" special this week, I went with that.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 09:26:48 PM »
thats a nice imager

I bought a SX110 for my gigapixel camera rig

the zoom is awesome

the main "issue" i have with the P&S imagers is the 4x3 aspect ratio

my dSLRs shoot 3x2 just like 35mm film
http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/golden_rectangle.html

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 07:57:02 PM »
Well, I'm taking the little Canon back to the store and have a Rebel XS on the way from Amazon.

So...what will be a good basic set of lenses to get in the somewhat distant future (aside from the standard lens that comes with the XS)?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:35:31 PM by Avenger29 »

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 08:57:33 PM »
Bottom line, your lens selection is mostly based on your budget.  The kit lens is pretty decent for an everyday walkaround lens.  As your skills and discretion improve you'll begin to notice a few eccentricities, but nothing most of us couldn't actually live with and be perfectly happy.

A good variable that goes from 20-ish to 105-ish will cover most shooting situations.  A 100-ish to 250-ish zoom will cover the rest.  Plan on spending around $450 per lens for middle-of-the-road glass, and $1200 and up for new luxury stuff. (The L-series Canon lenses are, in a word, stunning.  Problem is stunning ain't cheap.)

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 09:00:28 PM »
Okay, I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a decent one of the range you listed. Not looking to purchase one right now (my bank account has suffered enough for now), but will definitely be looking for the future.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 09:26:11 PM »
edit: n/m, I see you already bought something.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 10:42:47 PM »
Okay, I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a decent one of the range you listed. Not looking to purchase one right now (my bank account has suffered enough for now), but will definitely be looking for the future.

Look back through the forum.  Not too long ago we had a long thread on lens selections, including some excellent suggestions from a lot of folks.

Brad
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2010, 10:02:30 PM »
I was just goofing around and bought a nice Nikon Coolpix 5700 at Goodwill today.  5.0 megapixels is so last week, but I figured for $25.00 I could have fun learning the ropes before plunking down more serious cash for a 10-12 megapixel camera later.  One thing I'm learning already is that it's definitely not a point-and-shoot digital camera like my Canon Powershot.  It reminds me a lot more of my Minolta 35mm SLR, in many respects.   =D 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 10:19:25 PM »
I'm really enjoying my Rebel XS. I can't go back to point and shoots now and I can't live w/o a viewfinder now. Should have brought one of these babies a long time ago. Having manual control, RAW, ability to change lenses, good battery life, etc. is great.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2010, 10:54:59 PM »
RAW is a feature reserved for serious grade cameras

The manufacturers do a good job of segmenting the features

I think you need the G series to get RAW.

Or any Canon that can take CHDK. http://chdk.wikia.com  I'd highly recommend that, if you decide on a Canon, you find one that can use it.  It adds a few things that are exceptionally useful, and dozens that are just fun to play with.

The biggest drawback in point-and-shoot cameras is generally going to be the lack of any good way to trigger an off camera flash.  Off camera flash is your friend.  One way to get around it to some extent is to turn the onboard flash down as low as it will go and use it to trigger some optical slaves. ( http://www.adorama.com/DC418AF.html and get some cheap tripods and monopods to put them on - they're almost junk, but you'll appreciate cheap-but-functional junk when you break one in a way that a $200 unit wouldn't have survived either)

Oh, and http://www.dpreview.com is your friend when shopping for any digital cameras.  NiMH rechargeable batteries are your friends after you find one. 

Quote from: Gewehr98
I was just goofing around and bought a nice Nikon Coolpix 5700 at Goodwill today.  5.0 megapixels is so last week, but I figured for $25.00 I could have fun learning the ropes before plunking down more serious cash for a 10-12 megapixel camera later.  One thing I'm learning already is that it's definitely not a point-and-shoot digital camera like my Canon Powershot.  It reminds me a lot more of my Minolta 35mm SLR, in many respects.

5MP is nothing to sneeze at, especially once you get used to the postprocessing steps.  I have a few 8x10s around that were professionally printed from 5MP images from my PowerShot S2 IS ($80 at the pawn shop, including a good set of NiMH rechargeable AAs) that look just as good as some from my 10MP DSLR.  Beyond 8x10, it can get iffy, but that depends on factors like noise level as well.
The 8x10 of this hangs over my desk, and unless you're getting nose prints on the glass, it looks as good as some of my scanned film images.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2010, 11:21:21 PM »
In 2007, I bought a used Nikon D70, with one lens for $400.

Haven't regretted it yet!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 05:24:25 AM »
In 2007, I bought a used Nikon D70, with one lens for $400.

That's really the way to go if you can find something.  Again, check anything on DPReview, and don't get too hung up on pixel count.  Lots of good photos have been taken on D1s, with just under 3MP.  (Though IMO, that's pushing it a bit.  5+ will give you room to crop a bit in case you don't get the composition just right.)  The versatility of a DSLR is hard to beat, especially if you're wanting to learn how to really use the camera to its full potential.