Author Topic: Deep freeze across nation to get colder  (Read 8741 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Deep freeze across nation to get colder
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 06:16:34 PM »
AJ Dual =

???

:laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 07:03:34 PM »
Tallpine:

Really? MT seems wonderful so far. Heck, here it is in January and it's 30F.  =D

Tonight: Snow likely, mainly after 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 16. South southeast wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of around 2 inches.

Tuesday: Snow and areas of blowing snow. High near 21. Wind chill values as low as zero. North northwest wind between 14 and 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around 3 inches.

Tuesday Night: Snow and areas of blowing snow. Low around -3. Wind chill values as low as -25. North northwest wind between 16 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.

Wednesday: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly before 11am. Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 4. Wind chill values as low as -20. North northwest wind between 8 and 13 mph.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -14. Calm wind becoming southwest around 6 mph.

Thursday: Sunny and cold, with a high near 4.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around -7.

=|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 07:57:50 PM »
There is a possibility of a chain reaction BTW. The Methane clathrates sit at a rather uneasy equilibrium of temperature and pressure. (For everyone else, Rev knows this)  If you start the decomposition process, the disturbance of the bubbling methane could set off more and more.

The Methane clathrates/hydrates look like dirty ice mud, but if you bring a sample up to sea-level it will start to bubble and fizz, maybe even explode. The physical shock of that action under water could cause neighboring chunks to let their methane go in sympathy.

There have been incidents where oil drilling rigs in the GoM have accidentally disturbed hydrate beds.  The resulting bubbles have caused loss of bouyancy and sunk a few of them.  Other rigs have caught fire because of the released methane.  
There has been speculation that some of the ships that have disappeared in the area may have fallen victim to releases of methane from naturally disturbed hydrate beds.  Lots of bubbles under a ship's hull will cause it to lose bouyancy very quickly.  Theoretically, it can sink so fast the crew cannot raise an alarm.
Interesting stuff, methane hydrates.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:01:05 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2010, 08:01:38 PM »
Yea I love winter too.  So much that I went to the Cleveland Browns game yesterday.  It was 14 degrees with a wind chill putting it at -7.   =D

I stayed the whole game and only got cold when my arse hit the bleacher seat. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 08:10:38 PM »
There is a possibility of a chain reaction BTW. The Methane clathrates sit at a rather uneasy equilibrium of temperature and pressure. (For everyone else, Rev knows this)  If you start the decomposition process, the disturbance of the bubbling methane could set off more and more.

I fail to see a problem. 

*gigglesnort*   

Ill tempered mirrors, with freakin' lasers attached to them.

Damn right.  Cheap per usage and very effective. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 08:38:54 PM »
Detroit needs to start crankin' out some big block V8's, start building some coal plants.  The more CO2 we get into the atmosphere will stave off the ice age. =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2010, 11:14:37 PM »
I like winter. No, let me change that: I love winter.

I love the snow, the cold crisp air, the clear skies at night.

I love the way all sound gets muffled by a heavy snow fall.

Me too. I've lived in Wisconsin all my life, and plan on always living somewhere that has a good solid winter season.
Andy

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 12:23:17 AM »
There have been incidents where oil drilling rigs in the GoM have accidentally disturbed hydrate beds.  The resulting bubbles have caused loss of bouyancy and sunk a few of them.  Other rigs have caught fire because of the released methane. 
There has been speculation that some of the ships that have disappeared in the area may have fallen victim to releases of methane from naturally disturbed hydrate beds.  Lots of bubbles under a ship's hull will cause it to lose bouyancy very quickly.  Theoretically, it can sink so fast the crew cannot raise an alarm.
Interesting stuff, methane hydrates.

I too have read about ships encountering such problems. Makes you wonder.

1. Find a hydrate bed in a shipping lane.
2. Plant big-ass mine on sea-floor.
3. Trigger when enemy ship is coming along.
4. Deny everything.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 01:03:30 AM »
Lots of bubbles under a ship's hull will cause it to lose bouyancy very quickly.

That's the kraken.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 02:36:50 AM »
Detroit needs to start crankin' out some big block V8's, start building some coal plants.  The more CO2 we get into the atmosphere will stave off the ice age. =D

I know you meant it as a joke, but there is one climate theory that states it will eventually CAUSE another ice age.
Readers digest version:  The increased heat in the atmosphere will wreck ocean currents, which will cause temperatures to drop by double what they raised in order to "reset things"
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 06:59:30 AM »
That's the kraken.

touched by his noodly flatulence
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 07:04:09 AM »
It's about 15 and windy outside

the sidebyside refrigerator in my garage is not running much
due to the 40 degree temperature in there.
This makes the freezer unfreeze.

I may need to make an insulated airbox surround for it.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 08:40:52 AM »
From the January 5 Times Online:

The heaviest snow yesterday hit northeastern Asia, which is suffering its worst winter weather for 60 years. More than 25 centimetres (10in) of snow covered Seoul, the South Korean capital — the heaviest fall since records began in 1937.

In China, Beijing and the nearby port city of Tianjin had the deepest snow since 1951, with falls of up to 8in and temperatures of minus 10C. In the far north of China, the temperature fell to minus 32C. More than two million Beijing and Tianjin pupils were sent home and 1,200 flights were delayed or cancelled at Beijing’s international airport.

The same far-eastern weather system took its toll of Sakhalin, the Russian island off Siberia, which was hit by blizzards and avalanches. Farther west, in northern and eastern India, more than 60 people, mainly homeless, died of exposure. Thousands of schools were closed. In Uttar Pradesh, the state neighbouring Nepal, the authorities spent £1.3 million on blankets and firewood for needy households.

Western Russia suffered a deep freeze as snow swept across the Baltic and north-central Europe, leaving the worst devastation in Poland, where 13 people died, bringing the toll from the cold this winter to 122.

Up to ten skiers died or were missing in avalanches. The worst incident was in the Diemtig Valley in Switzerland on Sunday, when avalanches hit a group of skiers and then the rescuers who went to their aid. Eight people were pulled from the snow alive, but four died, including an emergency doctor, and three more were missing.

In Italy, emergency services struggled with rare cold and ice. Motorways in the northeast were closed and military helicopters were sent to Sicily with medical aid.

In the United States, heavy snow fell again on the northeast.

In Burlington, Vermont, a record 33in of snow fell in a weekend storm. The previous record in a three-day period was set in 1969. Residents of the Northern Plains were warned to expect lethally cold temperatures of about minus 30C.

The icy conditions of Western Europe, which broke records in half a dozen countries in December, are expected to last for at least another week.

Guo Hu, the head of the Beijing Meteorological Bureau, linked this week’s conditions to unusual atmospheric patterns caused by global warming.

Gore has disciples even in China, it seems...

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 08:51:27 AM »

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 10:37:05 AM »
Stop teh global warminz plz!

The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »
Harold, Harold, Harold. Your perfectly timed link to the Newsweek article has given me...an idea.  >:D >:D >:D

On an unrelated note, I'll likely be looking for a new job next week. Anybody hiring?

:)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »

So there really are "dragons" out there in the stormy deep  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 12:20:40 PM »
On an unrelated note, I'll likely be looking for a new job next week. Anybody hiring?

:)

No jobs in Iowa that pay more than minimum wage.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 12:33:47 PM »
I know you meant it as a joke, but there is one climate theory that states it will eventually CAUSE another ice age.
Readers digest version:  The increased heat in the atmosphere will wreck ocean currents, which will cause temperatures to drop by double what they raised in order to "reset things"
Does it mean we'll have mammoths and sabretooth-tigers again? If so, I'm all in favor =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 12:35:03 PM »
AJ Dual =

???

:laugh:

I applied with the USPS several years ago, but they told me my gun collection wasn't big enough to be considered at the time.  =|
I promise not to duck.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2010, 01:10:30 PM »
I applied with the USPS several years ago, but they told me my gun collection wasn't big enough to be considered at the time.

Should have told them that its not the guns that you have at home, but the ones you bring to work that matter. :lol:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2010, 01:30:46 PM »
I can't say I like the really cold weather, but I like the warm spells we get here in winter after we've had some cold weather.  The bugs are already dead or hiding and you get be outside in the warmth with no fire ants, mosquitoes, or other pesky critters.

That said, the chemical plant I work at has hell during cold weather.  Some of the valves just freak out and start hanging open or moving very slow which causes all sorts of problems.  It has been a while since we had a bad freeze right down near the Gulf Coast.  I don't want to find out where we lack freeze protection in the middle of the night.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2010, 02:35:46 PM »
No jobs in Iowa that pay more than minimum wage.

I'm actually not looking for a job. As long as I don't get caught anyways...  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 09:28:44 AM »
the past summer there were two theories being expounded. 
One was by climatologist, saying we are going to be cold, and one by Gore's Group saying we are going to burn up.

To me it seems like the Gore Group lost the debate, but is anybody in authority going to pay attention??
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:10:19 PM by Desertdog »

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 10:40:24 AM »
For my area, comparatively speaking, we have had a lot of snow. About 4 inches is loads for my town. I had to give some big metal pen doors a good kicking this morning as they had frozen in places where the doors met the frame. The little brushing bit on the bottom of one door was encased in ice. As per usual, this country is never prepared for snow and ice, even amounts that I am sure some of you guys would laugh at.

I did have a lot of fun with the forklift yesterday though. I made a Snow Plough attachment using a pallet and a board of wood. Our goods inward area was conspicuously clearer than the rest on the industrial estate, even after the Council's Snow Plough came through. :D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!