Author Topic: Deep freeze across nation to get colder  (Read 8776 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Deep freeze across nation to get colder
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:17:54 AM »
Whatever happened to global warming?  All I can see is that it is shifting South.

Much of the nation awoke to frigid weather Monday as below-freezing temperatures threatened to shatter records across the South.

"We're seeing freeze warnings not just into Central Florida, but down into the Everglades," CNN meteorologist Rob Marciano said.

Hard freeze warnings were in effect for much of the Florida Peninsula and the Southeast, according to the National Weather Service. Record lows were expected in the Gulf Coast states and into southern Florida, said CNN meteorologist Sean Morris.

Temperatures in parts of South Carolina got down to 14 on Sunday, Morris said, breaking the record low of 18 set in 1979.

The Big Chill is far from over.

"More arctic air will move in this week," Morris said. "It will get progressively colder in the Southeast."

Share your photos, video of winter weather near you

"Some locations could see temperatures 30 to 40 degrees below normal" across parts of the Plains, upper Midwest and Ohio River Valley on Thursday, Morris said. By Friday morning, afternoon highs will struggle to make it above zero, he said.

"The main event will come whenever the reinforcing cold air moves in," Morris said.

In Minneapolis, Minnesota, the temperature was minus 7 Monday morning, Morris said. In Chicago, Illinois, it was 11, with a wind chill of 3 below zero.

A weak storm system will move rapidly eastward across the Gulf Coast states Thursday and could bring a dusting of snow to Birmingham, Alabama, and Atlanta, Georgia, Morris said.

Florida was monitoring the cold's impact on crops, according to John Cherry, director of external affairs for the state's Division of Emergency Management.

"We'll be getting some data today on what the impact is," Cherry said Monday. The state began warning residents last week to take precautions. "We saw this coming," he said.

A winter storm watch was in effect for parts of central North Dakota, which was expected to experience moderate to heavy snowfall, the Weather Service said.

The cold meant more homeless people were seeking shelter, according to CNN affiliate WBIR in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Two hundred guests have shown up at Knox Area Rescue Ministries, which was built to house 100 people, according to WBIR. "When it gets this cold it means it's extra demands on what we do day in and day out," Rescue Ministries President Burt Rosen told WBIR.

Turning to the Northeast, the Weather Service warned that a large storm off the New England coast would continue to bring heavy snow to much of New York state, including the Buffalo and Syracuse areas.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Deep freeze across nation to get colder
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 11:36:13 AM »
I like winter. No, let me change that: I love winter.

I love the snow, the cold crisp air, the clear skies at night.

I love the way all sound gets muffled by a heavy snow fall.

I've missed having a "real" winter here in the DC area (I grew up in Illinois and went to college in Michigan.)

That said, even I thought it was COLD last night- temperatures in the teens and windchills below zero.

This morning was better as I went to work, but my wife was still quite cold.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 11:45:37 AM »
I
Despise
Winter.

I am desperate for global warming.  Leaving my truck idling every day at least for 10 minutes. Hope that helps!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »
I like winter. No, let me change that: I love  winter.

Winter keeps the riff-raff off the streets.  Deep nights can be quite visually striking, in the dead of winter.  Other than that, ehhh.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 12:40:23 PM »
bil called me a few nights back it was -32 at his house   hes my hero though i went to his place it was 2 and he was outside grilling steaks and deep frying walleye
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 12:41:32 PM »
I told you.

Manbearpig is making us get to The Day Before Two Days From Now But Before Tomorrow... or something like that.  You just watch:  There'll be tidal waves and freezing hurricanes that turn your lungs to ice from the inside-out.  I saw it in the mooviez.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 12:55:01 PM »
Manbearpig is making us get to The Day Before Two Days From Now But Before Tomorrow... or something like that.  You just watch:  There'll be tidal waves and freezing hurricanes that turn your lungs to ice from the inside-out.  I saw it in the mooviez.

werd.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:59:59 PM »
I LOVE winter, if only because it prevents/kills most of the creepy-crawlies those in the more southern latitudes endure.

My own personal take is that an ice-age will displace/kill/famine far more people than (imagined/fraudulent man-made) global warming ever could. And unlike global warming, we know an ice-age will happen again. If we're lucky, there is just a smidge of man-made global warming, and it's just enough to hold off the next ice-age.

IMO, we should have a contingency plan in place to heat up the methane ice hydrates on the sea floors should the onset of the next ice-age look to be imminent.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 01:34:07 PM »
...plan in place to heat up the methane ice hydrates on the sea floors...

AJ, how do you know all this stuff? I'm constantly amazed at the breadth of you knowledge.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 01:36:31 PM »
AJ, how do you know all this stuff? I'm constantly amazed at the breadth of you knowledge.

I promise not to duck.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 01:40:38 PM »
IMO, we should have a contingency plan in place to heat up the methane ice hydrates on the sea floors should the onset of the next ice-age look to be imminent.
In the '70s, there were people who thought it would be clever to stave off an ice age via nuking the north and/or south pole(s).

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 01:55:20 PM »

Hell, the Chinese are trying to figure out how to tap into that methane for energy useage in the Indian Ocean.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 02:32:55 PM »

I, for one, am glad for the breadth of knowledge I find here. Makes me look smarter to my wife.  :angel:

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 02:34:47 PM »

He spends all his free time sponging information off some internet forum somewhere.  Makes him look real smart to other folk. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 02:39:11 PM »
He spends all his free time sponging information off some internet forum somewhere.  Makes him look real smart to other folk. =D

BRAVO!  =D

/clap

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
Good for the garden, hope it kills all the buggies. Today is pretty warm, 13 when I went out. Wind is still 15-20mph+

Bad for alt. energy. Our neighbors are now really off grid as a particularly nasty bit of wind removed their rather pricey wind turbine from its 100ft. pole. They still have solar hot water, a PV power array and another PV array to pump their water.

Hard on wildlife. When I was up in Minnesota the pheasants were desperate, I saw up to five on the roadside looking for food in what the plow knocked loose. The deer down here are not much happier.

Personally I'd be happy if the wind would cut it out. I live on an exposed elevation and 6 degrees and 30mph wind is no fun.

Maybe Al Gore can give a speech somewhere around here, ought to raise temps a bit. Of course there is the danger that the radiance of his enlightened being would melt the snow, creating a flood.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 03:12:37 PM »
Good for the garden, hope it kills all the buggies. Today is pretty warm, 13 when I went out. Wind is still 15-20mph+

Bad for alt. energy. Our neighbors are now really off grid as a particularly nasty bit of wind removed their rather pricey wind turbine from its 100ft. pole. They still have solar hot water, a PV power array and another PV array to pump their water.

Hard on wildlife. When I was up in Minnesota the pheasants were desperate, I saw up to five on the roadside looking for food in what the plow knocked loose. The deer down here are not much happier.

Personally I'd be happy if the wind would cut it out. I live on an exposed elevation and 6 degrees and 30mph wind is no fun.

Maybe Al Gore can give a speech somewhere around here, ought to raise temps a bit. Of course there is the danger that the radiance of his enlightened being would melt the snow, creating a flood.

As I recall, God is laughing at Al Gore and making every place he visits far colder than normal. I doubt even Mr. Gore's hot air can balance that out.

Edit: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/YeasandNays/If_its_Al_Gore_its_cold_0127.html

http://chemicallygreen.com/al-gore-global-warming/

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 03:15:17 PM »
Not to keep pushing this thread off-topic, but I'm always amazed at the level of knowledge on this forum as a whole. Often I have no idea what some folks are even talking about.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »

We do.  Nukes.  Lots of very small nukes.  Methane clathrate is at least twice as common as natural gas, but it's a lot harder to collect.  That'd be a problem.

Personally, I favor a handful of big friggin mirrors in space. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 03:25:20 PM »

Ill tempered mirrors, with freakin' lasers attached to them.

[/pinky]
--Lysander Spooner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »
We do.  Nukes.  Lots of very small nukes.  Methane clathrate is at least twice as common as natural gas, but it's a lot harder to collect.  That'd be a problem.

Meh... just easier to lower the average albedo here on the ground instead. All the Guidos in New Jersey with the spray tanner are off to a good start.  =D

There is a possibility of a chain reaction BTW. The Methane clathrates sit at a rather uneasy equilibrium of temperature and pressure. (For everyone else, Rev knows this)  If you start the decomposition process, the disturbance of the bubbling methane could set off more and more.

The Methane clathrates/hydrates look like dirty ice mud, but if you bring a sample up to sea-level it will start to bubble and fizz, maybe even explode. The physical shock of that action under water could cause neighboring chunks to let their methane go in sympathy.

I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »
Now I'm sorry I finished the crossword and left today's newsrag at Mickey D's for someone else. There was an article citing a 12-year NASA meteorologist (at least, I think it was NASA) who was debunking all the global warming bunk. Among other factoids he raised, 2,000 years ago the Romans were growing wine grapes in Great Britain. The Brits are on;y now trying again, and having marginal results.

Coastal ice is receding on Greenland, but the glacial ice is getting thicker. And as the coastal ice recedes, it has exposed the remains of a 1,000 year old farming community. It'll take a bit more warming before there's any more farming being done there.

Then there was something about a cold spell in 1850 causing all sots of problems, and making short-term measurements since then appear more like "warming."

There was more good stuff, but I don't have the article. Sorry.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 04:09:31 PM »
What paper was it in?  We can look it up ???

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »
We've had ping-pong weather here ...  =|

Almost no summer at all: July and August were mild, and then a hard frost the beginning of September.  Then September was way hotter than normal, but of course the garden was already ruined.  ;/

October, was the 2nd coldest on record, with temperatures 35 degrees below average.  :O

November was actually warmer than October.

December was very cold, again approaching the brutal record of 1978.

But it won't be the winters that kill us; instead the short northern summers with 2 months or less between killing frosts.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

PTK

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 05:18:35 PM »
Tallpine:

Really? MT seems wonderful so far. Heck, here it is in January and it's 30F.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."