Author Topic: Bailout Nation Began in 1994, Not 2008  (Read 1993 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Bailout Nation Began in 1994, Not 2008
« on: January 04, 2010, 01:22:35 PM »
I was working around the house and had C-SPAN's booktv.org streaming over the PC.

It was an interview of Peter Schweizer, author of Architects of Ruin, talking about the current state of economic affairs.
http://booktv.org/Program/11086/After+Words+Peter+Schweizer+author+of+Architects+of+Ruin+interviewed+by+Rep+Michele+Bachmann.aspx
http://frontpagemag.com/2009/11/10/architects-of-ruin-by-david-forsmark/

He mentioned some incidents that I recalled back when they occurred: the Mexico gov't bailout, the S Korea bailout, and the Russian bailout during the Clinton years.  (BTW, this is not an anti-Clinton thesis, as GWB also was partly responsible for the latest bailouts.)

What did not penetrate at the time was that these bailouts were not "Mexican" or "Korean" or "Russian" bailouts.  They were bailouts of American investment firms, most notably Goldman-Sachs.

They took great risk investing in these locales and when the investments went tits up, Uncle Sam stepped in to socialize/nationalize the losses and even provide the firms a tidy profit.  It got to the point that many referred to Goldman-Sachs as "Government Sachs."  The smart money followed G-S's riskiest (but highest-paying until busted) investments because if they went completely bust, Uncle Sam would step in to make the losses go away and provide a profit.

This sort of thing is a "moral hazard" where investors do not properly assess risk in the light of probable gov't bailouts.

The 2008/2009/2010 bailouts of Wall street investment firms, Fannie, Freddie, AIG, etc. are of a part with the previous bailouts, but with a racial twist and gov't pressure.  A "carrot & stick approach." The gov't passed laws & regs that made using the old-school lending standards illegal or liable to serious gov't action when lending to minorities (stick).  Gov't determined to buy up the bad loans via Fred & Fan, thus relieving the lenders of some of hte downside risk after making thier profit on generating the loan (carrot).

[The point of this post is not to rehash the means of the latest ruinous mess, but to demonstrate that "bailout nation" has a history.]

I think that our financial sector will not change its ways unless gov't:
1. Takes the pressure off them to make high-risk loans to people on the basis of race.
2. Determines NOT to bail out firms that invest in high-risk places/sectors.

What do y'all think?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Bailout Nation Began in 1994, Not 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 01:24:40 PM »
I think this belongs in the P board.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 02:29:12 PM »
And I think that more people need to understand "moral hazard" and, therefore, why bailing out ANYTHING can be a bad idea.

Edit: More people need to understand asymetric information problems, including moral hazard and principal-agent. And then they need to be taught to apply them to government as well as business.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:16:26 PM »

I think that our financial sector will not change its ways unless gov't:
1. Takes the pressure off them to make high-risk loans to people on the basis of race.
2. Determines NOT to bail out firms that invest in high-risk places/sectors.

What do y'all think?

Meanwhile, Freddie and Franny get blank checks and admonishment to be a little looser with the cash. 
Comedy or tragedy?
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 09:32:05 PM »
Meanwhile, Freddie and Franny get blank checks and admonishment to be a little looser with the cash. 
Comedy or tragedy?
That begs a question: do you buy real estate during this crash, or wait until the next one they're making?

mordechaianiliewicz

• I Am The Oracle
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Well, given what your saying (which I did a little fact checking on).... two things: it's not hard to see why quite a few folks nations are pissed at us right now. Also, we can't be surprised that all these companies were expecting a bail out.
"The Second Amendment isn't about protecting ourselves against criminals. It's about all of us protecting ourselves from all of you." ---Dr. Suzanne Gratia Hupp to Congressman Charles Schumer (D-NY), 1994[/size]

"I think the goal is one world government - we have not only the U.N. - we have the WTO, the IMF, the World Bank, then we have all the subisidiaries like NAFTA and hemispheric government highways coming in. I just hope an pray that we