Author Topic: Any experience finishing basements?  (Read 7809 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Any experience finishing basements?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 06:32:20 PM »
When it comes to the soffits I was taught a stupid easy and sturdy way of doing it.  Its kind of hard to explain, but I'll try:
Take 2x2's and screw them into the rafters, about 2" from the item (duct work, etc).  On the outside of the 2x2, screw a piece of OSB to it so that it hangs down and gives you about 2" of clearance below it.  On the bottom edge of the osb, screw another length of 2x2.  You are basically building a box with 2x2's and osb around the item needing a soffit.

Does that make sense?  It took me half as long to make my soffit runs using this technique.  Very tough, I was able to mount an interior wall underneath, nailed to the OSB, you couldn't shake the wall when I was done.

That sounds a lot easier than what I did. Mine turned out very nice and sturdy- I could hang from the framing without moving it, but it took considerable time to build.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 08:14:44 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I talked to several people today about this and got a lot of advice.

1) scrap off all loose and or flaky paint. clean walls.
2) use hydrostatic cement to fill the cracks.
3) Paint the walls with multiple coats of Drylok
4) build walls with a vapor barrier on the block side and set them about 1" away from the block
5) Insulate and drywall
6) add fill around the house to create a slope away from the basement.

Everybody agreed this^ was a proper plan, except about the vapor barrier. It was a toss up between if they thought I should put it up or not. If I do, What side of the wall does it go on? Inside or blockside?
One guy told me one thing but a poster in this thread says different.

It was also pointed out to me to use extruded polystyrene, and I've noted you guys agree so that's what I'll use.
As far as the floor, I'll just put padding and carpet on the concrete. It's flat, not cracked, and has never flooded for me or the previous owner.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 08:58:58 PM »
If you plan to use extruded polystyrene, go ahead and put the vapor barrier against the masonry. Remember to tape the seams with foil tape, or it won't be an affective vapor barrier.

The reason a vapor barrier is supposed to go on the warm side is that, like heat, moisture vapor always moves from the warm side toward the cold side. So in an insulated house wall (assuming heating season, not southern Florida in July) the moisture goes from the room side toward the outside. If the outside is cold enough, there is a dew point somewhere between the inside and the outside. With fiberglass batt insulation, what you really REALLY don't want is to have the moisture condensing somewhere in the middle of your insulation batts. First, soggy fiberglass doesn't insulate well. Second, wet, soggy batts lead to rotted framing lumber, and to mold.

But Styrofoam (the extruded polystyrene) is "closed cell" polystyrene. It won't absorb moisture so you shouldn't have to worry about rot or mold. But you should still keep your framing studs an inch (or at least a half inch) clear of the masonry so that if any moisture condenses on the inside surface, it won't soak the studs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

xian

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
You might want to check out the recommendations on the Building Science Corp. website regarding insulation and vapor retarders for basements.  Their research is pretty widely accepted as representing the best practice for preventing moisture damage to structures.

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/information-sheets/5-thermal-control/basement-insulation/?searchterm=basement

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 10:16:39 PM »
That sounds a lot easier than what I did. Mine turned out very nice and sturdy- I could hang from the framing without moving it, but it took considerable time to build.
Yeah I did that on one side of the basement. Built a ladder out of 2x4's and mounted it to the ceiling and then sheetrocked. 
Learned the 2x2 and usb trick from a coworker.  Inspector loved it, said its a serious builder's trick out there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”