Author Topic: Ahhhhh... that's more like it.  (Read 905 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Ahhhhh... that's more like it.
« on: January 12, 2010, 10:56:44 PM »
Last fall I cobbled together a machine for home and pulled the trigger on DSL service at the house.  It's been acceptable, but never quite as fast as I expected.  I chalked it up to being spoiled to a T1 feeding through a gigbit network on my office machine. 

Guess I wasn't as wrong as I thought.  I'd had some problems with intermittant static in the phone lines. I traced it to bad insulation on a 1' segment of exposed exterior wiring.  AT&T came by today and replaced the line and junction box.  Static gone.  Good.  But this evening I've noticed at significant improvement in 'net speed, too.  Bonus!

Fox news still loads slow, though.  Nothing with the connection, just the sheer amount of data from their woefully bloated web page.  Why do they insist on all that crap loading before you can actually see the news?

Brad
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:00:14 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

CNYCacher

• friend
Re: Ahhhhh... that's more like it.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:06:03 PM »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:09:14 PM »
That's MUCH better! 

Now if I could only get Suddenlink to get their collective heads out and make a mobile friendly email interface. (they blame it on the phone manufactures, not the clunky, slow, proprietary two-step process they require to log in).

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 04:02:09 PM »
Fox Noose crashes Internet Exploder about half the time for me ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 04:09:41 PM »
That's MUCH better! 

Now if I could only get Suddenlink to get their collective heads out and make a mobile friendly email interface. (they blame it on the phone manufactures, not the clunky, slow, proprietary two-step process they require to log in).

Brad
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=22534.msg431333;topicseen#msg431333
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 04:13:36 PM »
Yeah, I remember that.  It still grouses me that someone claiming to be as "business friendly" as Suddenlink would be so stubbornly boneheaded about something this overtly shortsighted.

Brad
-HankB